White sludge?

4cls

Done the floor on the Swift Ace Airstream, all the rotted wood floor dug out and replaced with 12mm marine ply and loads of under seal, We decided to then drain down the 'Fresh' ?? water tank, its one of these tanks that you have to pull a plug out to get the last drops clear, What bothers 'her indoors' is the white clay looking deposit on the inside of the tank, the inspection hatch inside the van is not big enough to get into the corners and get it all out, Is there any product on the market which is suitable to use on fresh water M/H tanks?

Probably chalk/calcium deposits from hard water I always use white wine vinegar which is also recommended by Truma for de scaling the hot water tank. Works best hot poor 3 or 4 litres in and and a few litres of hot water leave it in for 24 hours. Also works well for cleaning the loo waste tank.

Stock up on the vinegar in France only 30p/lt.

4cls - 2013-11-13 9:34 PM

.... the inspection hatch inside the van is not big enough to get into the corners and get it all out..

I fitted one of these to the top of our tank(to gain access to a fitting):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Plastic-Boat-Deck-Plate-/161133106554?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item258448157a

(...worth looking at, for the low costs involved..?)

spartan3956 - 2013-11-14 10:29 AM

What a good idea do they have a gasket or do you seal with silicon ?

Pete

Mine didn't come with any gasket but I just sat it on a bead of silicon.

(..as it's on the top, it is only acting as a "splash" seal after all).

I did use s/steel fasteners though...

Many thanks for advice, found out that when Baldric said, 'I have a cunning plan my lord', he meant me! White wine vinegar and hot water, plus a length of stiff stainless wire with a kitchen sponge attached, bending the wire to suit enabled me to get into all the corners,, Job done. now to flush it all out with fresh. :-D

Archived