Never mind the quality, feel the WIDTH

candapack

A number of threads include good-natured (usually) banter between PVC and CB owners re. accessibility.

Would be interested to hear from any former CB owners who switched to a PVC ONLY because they felt there were places they either couldn't, or didn't want to try to, go in a wider vehicle.

I'm asking because OH has had her ear bent by PVC owning colleagues/"friends" telling her we've (read "I'VE") made the worst mistake since Julius Caesar said "thank the Gods I can trust you Brutus".

Thanks, hopefully!

Size matters and every dimension that is bigger restricts you more.

The longer the van the harder to fit in parking bays, not only overall length but wheelbase too as long wheelbase vans like ALKO chassied vans can really make you look silly in close confines.

The wider the van the harder it is to park in a bay and still open the door - and neither can the cars either side of you - and the more 'interesting' it gets when passing other vehicles like tankers on narrow roads!

The higher (and wider) the van the more 'interesting' it becomes on narrow lanes with overhanging trees and mountain roads with overhanging rocks.

Much depends on your driving ability and your attitude to challenges - plus your passenger's ability to not panic in the face of seemingly overwhelming odds!

One thing is for sure - if the mirrors go through the gap so will the rest of it unless you need to turn at the same time!

candapack - 2013-11-14 9:12 PM

bolero boy - 2013-11-14 9:09 PM

So, what van do you have now? Remember, length may also be an 'accessibility' factor, too.

A/S Inca - 2.32 m wide, 6m long, so length not really an issue. Cheers.

I think length is by far a more limiting factor. You won' see too many tag axle burstner elegances on aires or stellplatzes.

Tracker - 2013-11-14 9:25 PM

Size matters and every dimension that is bigger restricts you more.

The longer the van the harder to fit in parking bays, not only overall length but wheelbase too as long wheelbase vans like ALKO chassied vans can really make you look silly in close confines.

The wider the van the harder it is to park in a bay and still open the door - and neither can the cars either side of you - and the more 'interesting' it gets when passing other vehicles like tankers on narrow roads!

The higher (and wider) the van the more 'interesting' it becomes on narrow lanes with overhanging trees and mountain roads with overhanging rocks.

Much depends on your driving ability and your attitude to challenges - plus your passenger's ability to not panic in the face of seemingly overwhelming odds!

One thing is for sure - if the mirrors go through the gap so will the rest of it unless you need to turn at the same time!

Many thanks Tracker - I mentioned this to my Granny and she said "you send her your eggs, she'll suck them". To be honest, not your lucky day!

As a PVC user, did you switch to that from a CB on the basis of width alone? That's what I want to know.

WADR!

peter - 2013-11-14 9:31 PM

candapack - 2013-11-14 9:12 PM

bolero boy - 2013-11-14 9:09 PM

So, what van do you have now? Remember, length may also be an 'accessibility' factor, too.

A/S Inca - 2.32 m wide, 6m long, so length not really an issue. Cheers.

I think length is by far a more limiting factor. You won' see too many tag axle burstner elegances on aires or stellplatzes.

Thank you Peter. We used to tow a caravan down single track, windy, overhung by trees and rocks, Highland roads. Never had a problem. So why OH getting knickers in twist now, no idea.

I think if you downsized you would really miss the space, especially if the weather is a bit rubbish.

How many panel vans do you see out and about in winter? not many I bet. where'as a coachbuilt is better insulated and you'd be as snug as the proverbial bug.

peter - 2013-11-14 9:55 PM

I think if you downsized you would really miss the space, especially if the weather is a bit rubbish.

How many panel vans do you see out and about in winter? not many I bet. where'as a coachbuilt is better insulated and you'd be as snug as the proverbial bug.

I completely agree. And I know it's early days, but so far NOBODY saying they have changed to PVC on width alone.

candapack - 2013-11-14 9:33 PM

As a PVC user, did you switch to that from a CB on the basis of width alone?

NO!

We switched partly because the type of use we now want is more suited to a more nimble, quieter, better riding van which can nip along at high motorway speeds when the mood takes, and partly because today's PVCs are much bigger inside than before so that we can cope better with the space v driving enjoyment equation which we found unacceptable in previous generation PVCs.

Orses fer courses, and if you spend more time on sites than you do exploring mountains and coastlines then a coachbuilt is much more suited to living in than a PVC will ever be - and better VFM too.

Do not want to get into another row over this one but as someone who changed to a pvc, for this reason among others, we soon changed back. We can go pretty much anywhere a pvc can, did some very small alpine passes this year, no problems. The parking thing is not as easy as Rich gives the impression of being, most parking places are to small for a 6.00mtr pvc. In Europe this is not really a problem anyway, in the uk does not make any difference as parking is usually defined not only by size but weight. We have never, ever found we wanted a pvc because the road looked to small, it could happen of course but the remote possibility is to small to bother about.

"You won' see too many tag axle burstner elegances on aires or stellplatzes."

Odd I use mostly Aires and Stellplaetze and drive a 8.49 meter tag axle Frankia.

I rarely have a problem parking the 'van but do use a bit of common sense and where necessary use the motorbike from the rear garage to go in to a town / supermarket where there may be a problem. I suspect that most of the places where I choose to take the bike wouldn't accommodate a PVC, comfortably either.

Sorry Henry - didn't mean to infer parking a PVC is easy as it can be quite interesting at times especially the bigger ones at over 6 metres.

Nevertheless they are easier to turn than a coachbuilt as rearwards and side visibility is better and also the body is less easy to damage and easier to repair if you do clout something!

A big steel rear bumper on either is good for making sure the other guy comes off worse!

Tracker - 2013-11-14 10:20 PM

...... also the body is less easy to damage and easier to repair if you do clout something!

That, is one very major advantage of a PVC in my opinion...

With a CB, even a relatively minor "clout" or scrape, risks putting the thing off the road for months, whilst they are waiting for parts/panels(..that's IF the parts,eg light clusters, side skirts etc still exist!?... :-S )

And you don't have to be exploring a single tracked route through the Alps or some desolate coastal track, to encounter things that appear to be hell bent on ripping the side of your van out.... (lol)

There are plenty of "A" roads over here, that can have you "clenching"..especially when you meet the local bus/Tesco artic' hammering towards you, overhanging your side of the road..(egA39 Glastonbury> North Devon coast).

Although it/we have remained unscathed for the 4 years we've had it (and it hasn't actually been the liability that perhaps I am portraying), I am well aware that there have probably been many instances where the "margins" have been a bit too close for comfort..... ;-)

(...as I dare say some of the drivers of following cars, would testify! (lol) )

Yes Pepe, i know what you mean about the A39 as we live 2 miles from Glastonbury and access to the M5 takes us along this little darling. The trees overhang, the surface is a disgrace and the volume of lorries goes up by the day. Would i feel better driving here in a PVC, not sure. Easier in my car, yes but PVC.......dont know.

Im still in the undecided camp, tho i do have an inkling for the Adria 640 SPX.

We changed from a coachbuilt to a PVC as our driveway is sandwiched between a garage wall next door and out house wall.

We could get our coachbuilt down the drive just! but then couldn't get out the habitation door and only just managed to squeeze out of the passengers door! The coachbuilt was 2.3m wide!

Our Renault PVC fits a treat we can get out of the doors and more importantly we can open the side sliding door and easily pack unpack the contents with ease!

So for us only a PVC will do unless we consider moving house!

bolero boy - 2013-11-15 9:24 AM

rupert123 - 2013-11-14 10:15 PM

Do not want to get into another row over this one but as someone who changed to a pvc, for this reason among others, we soon changed back. We can go pretty much anywhere a pvc can..........

Henry, what did you change back to? A slim coachbuilt?

..and can I be nosey and ask which PVC you changed from H?....

(..apart from the fact it had a large sliding door, I haven't manage to catch any other details.. (lol) ;-) )

candapack - 2013-11-14 8:58 PM

I'm asking because OH has had her ear bent by PVC owning colleagues/"friends" telling her we've (read "I'VE") made the worst mistake since Julius Caesar said "thank the Gods I can trust you Brutus".

Thanks, hopefully!

I've been a PVC owner for 15 years now and am very happy with the latest van, but I would never presume to tell others they have made a mistake buying a CB. If you are happy with the van and it does what you want, what more do you want.

p.s. I should state that I/we have hired CB's and RV's many times, mostly abroad, but are still happier owning a PVC

pepe63 - 2013-11-15 9:41 AM

Do not want to get into another row over this one but as someone who changed to a pvc, for this reason among others, we soon changed back. We can go pretty much anywhere a pvc can..........

(..apart from the fact it had a large sliding door, I haven't manage to catch any other details.. (lol) ;-) )

It was an Autosleeper with a rear lounge. Nice small van in fact, well built and equipped. It had full cooking facilities, so no need for all the extra stuff some have to carry around to compensate, built in tv, built in gas tank, cruise, aircon, in fact the spec was really good. However the drawbacks, for us, were simply to great and we did not find any great advantage in it being smaller. As I said do not want to start an argument all over again and these are my honest opinions, why else would I change back?

Tracker - 2013-11-14 10:20 PM

Sorry Henry - didn't mean to infer parking a PVC is easy as it can be quite interesting at times especially the bigger ones at over 6 metres.

Nevertheless they are easier to turn than a coachbuilt as rearwards and side visibility is better and also the body is less easy to damage and easier to repair if you do clout something!

A big steel rear bumper on either is good for making sure the other guy comes off worse!

Yep have to agree Rich but still not a problem, it is all driving and you compensate. I do have a large steel bumper on the back except ours is called a tow bar and scooter rack.

rupert123 - 2013-11-15 10:30 AM

pepe63 - 2013-11-15 9:41 AM

It was an Autosleeper with a rear lounge. Nice small van in fact, well built and equipped. It had full cooking facilities, so no need for all the extra stuff some have to carry around to compensate, built in tv, built in gas tank, cruise, aircon, in fact the spec was really good. However the drawbacks, for us, were simply to great and we did not find any great advantage in it being smaller. As I said do not want to start an argument all over again and these are my honest opinions, why else would I change back?

......to what?....and are you more comfortable with the new van?

Archived