Charging Engine battery

Chris0leary

My engine battery is sounding like its only just turning the engine over and I was wondering how to tell if it is getting charged when hooked up. The battery is pretty new. I've currently got the van on the mains and the engine battery shows 12.45v. I've found a couple of blown fuses but none that I think relate to the charging system.

My motorhome is a Elddis Suntor 300 with peugeot boxer 2.0 hdi engine.

Im no electronics expert (one or two will be along shortly, im sure) but 12.45v looks about 80% charged according to my Wiki page.....what power supply unit do you have in your van? We have a Sargent unit which can be set to 'smart' charge the vehicle and leisure batteries from the alternator, EHU or solar panel.

Not sure if you can do this with your van but when driving the split charge circuit should charge all batteries from the alternator ots just that mot all vans charge the vehicle battery when on EHU.

Your reading may have come from the last time you drove the van, did you measure it prior to hooking up?

.....if it is on mains, and the voltage measured across the battery terminals is still only 12.45v, then it is odds-on that it is not currently being charged by the on-board charger.

If it were, I would expect that measurement to be at the charger voltage level (anything between 13.7 and 14.5v, depending on system)

Not all 'vans have the ability to charge the vehicle battery in this way, and those that do sometimes rely on the panel settings - a Swift I had years ago required the panel switch to be set to vehicle battery rather than habitation battery.

If you have a couple of blown fuses, unless you are entirely sure these are not relevant, it would be worthwhile replacing them and testing the battery voltage as described above again (which is the best way to check for presence of charging).

There`s a very good chance that your charging system does not do the engine battery, if so get your self a battery mate unit, better still get the same thing off CAK of Kenilworth, about £30, and quite easy to fit yourself.

When your leisure battery reaches 13.6v it diverts the charge to the starter battery, and back again when the leisure drops below 13.6v.

Thanks fellas, I've tried the voltage with the mains on/off and the control unit switch on/off and I don't see any difference. I've only got a leisure battery charger by the look of it but the fuse block to the side of it does have a fuse labeled van + so I thought it might charge from there. I've got my own battery charger on it now and the control unit does show the rise in volts while charging.

The fuses that had blown were a 25a that was wired close to the battery (looks like something to do with the alarm or immobiliser ) and a 5a on the fuse block marked 'ignitions'.

Well there's always a spanner (or screw) in the works. When connecting up to the mains today it kept blowing fuses in the plugs :-S I eventually traced it down to a lose screw in one of my blue plugs touching across -ve and +ve melting away 8-)

In the mean time I've charged my battery independently with my CTEK charger. I must now look for the best way to install a charge system. I'll have a look on the web site recommended thanks.

Chris0leary - 2013-11-15 2:34 PM

Thanks fellas, I've tried the voltage with the mains on/off and the control unit switch on/off and I don't see any difference. I've only got a leisure battery charger by the look of it but the fuse block to the side of it does have a fuse labeled van + so I thought it might charge from there. I've got my own battery charger on it now and the control unit does show the rise in volts while charging.

The fuses that had blown were a 25a that was wired close to the battery (looks like something to do with the alarm or immobiliser ) and a 5a on the fuse block marked 'ignitions'.

Just noticed on reading through again, you use the word VAN in the above..In my experience, that usually refers to the leisure battery,. Assuming the other position is labelled CAR, that would normally be the position to charge the engine battery, or at least to read the voltage of it. CHARGING the engine battery may not be a function of your system.

Hope this might be relevant, and help you.

Tonyg3nwl

Archived