Dunkirk to Austria?

Mad Cow

Well we still haven't managed to retire, thanks to Gordon Brown, and are planning a trip for next year. We fancied Germany and then hear people say how lovely Austria is and only next door. I saw on a map that it is about 550 miles in more or less a straight line but we would want to go scenic route so that would make a difference. Only having about 2 weeks to do this in is this too ambitious? We keep saying we will leave it until we retire when time is your own but that is 3 1/2 years away and anything can happen in that time as we all know. I had quite a big op this year so missed out on a long trip away due to mobility but we managed to spend a good couple of weeks in the van on the drive while our floor tiles were ripped up and replaced all through the bungalow due to previous work contractors scratching the high gloss ones when doing work in the bathroom and not covering them up!

I would like to hear from anyone who has done similar bearing in mind that we have an 8.9m Concord so length needs to be taken into consideration. We are not big townies and love the more pretty rural places which is probably just as well. Any hints and tips on sites, use of credit cards, what to do and not to do would be much appreciated. Also what is a good time of year to go - we are not into skiing (well not me anyway!) and love bright crisp days and are not too worried about sunbathing either.

I look forward to hearing from you.

We did it last year and completely loved the place.

Its a wonderful country

Our blog for that leg of our trip is here https://sites.google.com/site/hanktestsite2/blog/summer-2012/germany-and-austria

Why not do what we did. Go via the Black Forest, Lake Constance, Fussen (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Castle) and over the Fern Pass into Austria.?

The Lakes east of Saltzberg are stunning especially Halstatt and Grundlsee.

We were there end of June Early July and weather was mainly good. Some of the lakes are prone to sudden squalls and we nearly lost our canopy to one as I was too slow putting it away.

For a van over 3500KG however you will need to purchase a GO box unless you avoid motorways alltogether which isnt always easy.

Here's your route.

Dunkirk, Lille, Liege, Aachen, Cologne, Frankfurt, Nuremburg, Munich, Salzburg. From there Austria is your oyster. :D

We've done this route many times, as my wife is half Austrian and has relatives there.

Austria, a good choice. Where to go with a large vehicle.

Read up on all the coach tours, If they fit then so will you. Maybe check the local buses also. It may be touristy but you'll see most of the best bits that way and they will always stop at the scenic picture taking places. If you see a group of coaches parked it may mean there's food as but also touristy for nicknacks and go while you can !!

Guest JudgeMental
Mad Cow - 2013-11-15 8:58 PM

Thanks, you make it sound so simple. I am not familiar yet with the route you suggest so will look into it. Is this do-able in a 2 week timeframe and be able to enjoy it or would it be a whistlestop tour?

But it is simple.......One overnight from Calais and you're there...

Mad Cow - 2013-11-15 9:04 PM

Sounds lovely. So much In your blog that I need to print it off and read at my leisure with a map in front of me.

We are 6700kg so a Go box will be essential and need to understand how they work. How long did your trip take?

We were there a few weeks as part of a six month trip so we were not in a hurry.

I would say its doable in 2 weeks, just. As long your prepared to do a long drive there and back in a couple of days you should get 10 days touring. That would be enough to do Salzberg and the lakes.

JudgeMental - 2013-11-15 9:51 PM

Mad Cow - 2013-11-15 8:58 PM

Thanks, you make it sound so simple. I am not familiar yet with the route you suggest so will look into it. Is this do-able in a 2 week timeframe and be able to enjoy it or would it be a whistlestop tour?

But it is simple.......One overnight from Calais and you're there...

As Eddie says. :D

Have a rummage around on here http://tinyurl.com/o6fjapy for the Austrian toll regulations, and where they apply (if not fluent in German, you may need to reset the language to English when changing pages. Translation is a bit "Google", but reasonably clear.)

If you want to tour Austria, presumably you won't want to use autobahnen/express ways, so you won't need a Go-Box. However, you will probably need a sat-nav with up to date mapping, to be reasonably sure of routes that avoid the toll roads, not all of which are designated autobahn.

I think Peter's van is also over 3.5 tonnes so his route is as good as any. It is all motorway standard road, not the pretty route. I assume you will be familiar with the lower speed limits for HGVs, even on autobahnen. From the Channel will take you two longish days minimum each way. How long will obviously depend on traffic and driving speeds, on your daily start/stop times, and on which part of Austria you intend visiting. You will inevitably lose one hour entering France so, with a Channel crossing to allow for as well, you will probably need three days total travelling out, and two days return if you are happy to get home later in the day. So five days travel.

If you want to avoid motorways altogether, my mate Autoroute says the quickest way will be down through France to Strasbourg via St Quentin, Reims, Chalons, St Dizier, Nancy and Luneville, and then to Strasbourg via Karlsruhe, Stuttgart, Aalen, Neuborg an der Donau, Landshut, and Eggenfelden. For that route, add one day. So, off motorway, say seven days travel.

But, no time for sightseeing en-route either way! So, do-able, but maybe a bit of a rush with little time to seem more than a smallish part of Austria.

....as someone who has "done" Austria a good number of times, of necessity often for little more than two weeks because of the kids, I'd introduce a note of caution.

(And this doesn't arise from a sense of negativity, as Austria is a favourite destination, and we pulled in a late two-weeker as recently as the end of September/ beginning of October).

If you wish to make anything of Austria itself in a two week holiday, then you'll have to drive through Germany PDQ, and it is a long trip. I've proven to myself on the recent trip that I can reach the German/Austrian border in two (long) days from home in Nottinghamshire, with a break on the ferry, and an overnight on the Mosel. This is, however, in a vehicle that can legally cruise at 65/70 on the motorways abroad, anything over 3850kg is limited to 80kph (which appears to be ignored by many motorhomes, but it's at their risk). A start closer to the channel will, of course, add some leeway.

Much of such a journey will be less than scenic (particularly the Belgian motorways). I've recently taken to avoiding the routes set out above, instead going as far as Liege, and just beyond taking the A27/E42 down to the Mosel at Piesport. I've done the routes down the two sides of the Rhine Valley too often (having had friends in Frankfurt), and find them invariably busy and lacking in the best scenery. The A27, however, is relatively quiet (very, at times, though when the Mosel is bridged - work is under way - I suspect this route will become as busy as others), good for scenery, and provides endless opportunities for overnighting on one of the many Stellplätze (and, of course, if the weather is good one may well get diverted into a longer stay). Travel on from the Mosel consists of crossing to Karlsruhe on good and enjoyable local roads, and then back to the autobahn(s).

Whatever the circumstances, you are only likely to get 9 or possibly 10 days to explore Austria, and this is really not enough. Having a 'van over 3.5t will render use of the autobahn inconvenient and expensive, so moving around will be relatively slow. It is eminently possible to avoid "GoBox" roads (especially if one appreciates that a 3.5t limit sign with a picture of a truck on doesn't apply to motorhomes, whereas one without a picture is absolute), but it will be considerably slower (though more picturesque).

A number of the attractive campsites I might otherwise recommend are likely to have pitches that are too short or not level enough for a large 'van, so you might find your choice restricted in some of the more scenic areas.

All this might not matter if your holiday plans are simply driving and sightseeing, but IMO, Austria and Germany are best seen as outdoor destinations, with a settled base for a day or too, and local sightseeing via the (usually excellent) local transport (and lift systems in the mountains).

If you were originally looking at Germany, I would suggest a compromise might be a good thing. Head down via the route I've set out above, take in the Mosel (for as long as you find it attractive), then head South for the border/alps, and consider a tour taking in some of (W to E) Oberstdorf (Germany) Ehrwald (Austria) Oberammergau (Germany) Mittenwald (Germany) Reit Im Winkl (Germany) Berchtesgaden (Germany), and possibly Salzburg (Austria) though this can be awkward to approach off-autobahn, and can be visited by public transport from Berchtesgaden.

...and of course, be prepared to change plans if/when you find an area attractive.

All the above are in attractive surroundings, with (transport) access to the mountains, and have campsites and/or stellplätze that will handle large vehicles. You'll gain a couple of days from your travels, avoid any GoBox issues, and get a taster of what Austria may bring (particularly if you go from Ehrwald to Mittenwald via Austria.

IMO, Germany is also currently slightly cheaper than Austria.

Don't write Austria off, simply allow more time (in the future) to do the place justice at leisure.

Hi,

I really appreciate the time it has taken you to give me the benefit of your knowledge and the alternatives to consider.

I think I will take my time over this and seriously consider whether to leave Austria until we can tour at our leisure otherwise we may end up going back to work for a rest. You have certainly whetted my appetite for it though.

We stayed on Natterer see campsite just outside of Innsbruck. It is the best campsite we have ever been on in four years of touring and it is an ASCI site, although there is 4 euros per night tax extra to pay. Apart from the standard and quality of all facilities they provide free travel in to Innsbruck on the service bus which picks up at the the site gate, Innsbruck is about 15 mins away. Take the city tour bus from the town centre to get to know the city it is really worth it.

We are trying to fit a another stay there next year on the way to Croatia.

Have a good trip.

Cliff

Archived