Daytime running lights

amcook999btinternet

Had Enough - 2013-11-17 11:29 AM

I simply cannot fathom why anyone would wish to turn off a feature that could save a nasty accident.

The reason is that many motorists do not fully understand what the function can and can't do and when it does and doesn't operate as with DTRL which was the original topic subject.

Unfortunately many motorists use these functions so they don't have to think about it and take it "as read" that the car will do the driving for them regardless of the conditions.

Whether something or someone should or shouldn't do something doesn't stop it from happening and it is an unfortunate fact that motorists are driving about without the appropriate lighting according to the driving conditions.

Anyway they have enough to think about in adverse weather conditions what with lighting their fags, texting or talking on their phones. >:-(

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The greater the number of drivers on the roads, the greater the traffic density, and the lower the standard of driving is likely to fall.

Many do not take driving as a job, to be done seriously, treating it as a mere extension of walking. These measures are designed to make such people safer overall, by removing from their control things they may forget to do, or consider unimportant, to the detriment of safety.

None of these automated functions, except ABS and possibly ESP/ASR, will do better what a fully attentive experienced driver will do. They are not panaceas, they are just the "least worst" way of trying to get the inexperienced/inattentive driver into a safer place. They are intended to make driving safer for road users overall, not individually.

Besides, you ain't seen nothin' yet: just wait until the self driving car becomes reality! There are already cars that detect speed/distance in front of them and apply brakes to maintain safe stopping distances, though I'm not sure if this trick is available on current production models.

Rail as you might, these changes will come. Overall safety will improve, but driving will become a relatively boring spectator passtime. Unless, that is, you happen to own a Morgan +8, or a proper AC Cobra! :-D

I'm not sure if the same thing applies to a Ford Focus but on my Honda CR-V there is provision on the wiper stalk to adjust the sensitivity of the rain sensors. May be worth checking. Having said that I must admit that in very light drizzle I prefer to us the wiper control to give a single stroke when I think there is enough water on the screen to clear it properly.

Are you sure this control isnt to alter the timing of the wipe , just a thought .

bolero boy - 2013-11-17 3:46 PM

Surely drivers cant read their instruments in low light if they dont have their lights on?

Yes, i know that some parts of the dash glow in the dark, my speedo and rev counter needles do.....but the dials dont... *-)

Depends on the set up, with my latest Suzi the full instrument lights come on with the ignition, when I switch on the lights I have them set to dim which gives less dazzle at night, the way I know the lights are on in dull conditions are the green warning light or that the instruments are more dificult to read.

dakota - 2013-11-17 10:06 PM

I'm not sure if the same thing applies to a Ford Focus but on my Honda CR-V there is provision on the wiper stalk to adjust the sensitivity of the rain sensors. May be worth checking. Having said that I must admit that in very light drizzle I prefer to us the wiper control to give a single stroke when I think there is enough water on the screen to clear it properly.

Are you sure this control isnt to alter the timing of the wipe , just a thought .

Yes positive. I thought it was for that until I tried it and it seemed to make no difference to the wiper timing then I read the hand book and found out what is was really for. Works quite well once you get familiar enough with it to remember which way to turn it to increase or decrease the sensitivity.

Instrument illumination on my previous Toyota and present Honda is brilliant comes on and is crystal clear in all conditions when, the headlights are switched on at night the instrument illumination is turned down. On the Fait motorhome the illumination of the instruments is just about OK at night but during the day heading into the sun or passing through a stretch of road that is shaded by trees the instruments become very difficult to read.

As existing car models are replaced all new ones are now required to have DRL fitted as standard, so eventually it will not be possible to buy a new car without them.

Here in Finland I consider them a pain in the ass!

Previously all cars sold in Finland were set up so that dipped lights came on with the ignition (Including rear lights), as it is the law that outside of towns lights have to be on at all time.

However, if DRL lights are fitted that is no longer a requirement, so now we have the situation that as it starts to get dark a lot of cars are driving around with just their DRL on and no rear lights, as Finnish drivers are not used to remembering to switch headlights on, and only do so when it is so dark they can´t actually see where they are going!

We have brought a VW Golf that has automatic lights and DRLs

The DRLs are the main beam headlights running at reduced voltage so are not ice bright but dim tungsten yellow.

The automatic lights seem to have a life of there own as when they seem to be needed, they are off in the darker weather and on in brighter weather. I need to get the old Weston photometer out and see what brightness really is !

So for me, lights are either on or off ! No automatic !

The automatic lights can be a bit of a curse as well, if you are following a car that is following the car with automatic lights. Let me explain

We have this new Golf with brakes that work rather too well, until you are used to them. My wife is driving with me as passenger following a Polo with automatic lights on a bright sunny day.

Every time the Polo gets into dark shadow, the rear lights come, my wife brakes, my head nearly hits the dashboard ! After a couple of episodes of head banging I manage to explain that the dull red ""brake"" lights are side lights switching, and not brake lights.

To be fair, she is a good driver and realised what was going on, many drivers may not !

Finally, I am a fan of DRLs in the summer. Drivers wearing sunglasses, quite often do not see dark cars, motor bikes cyclists coming out of shadows. Now I have changed from a dark car with no DRLs to one with DRLs, there is a change of behavior with on coming traffic.

Rgds

Archived