free tv on lap top abroad?

bazooka

there are a couple of other internet links for tv, and for a good viewing size its simple to connect it to your TV. 8-)

last year we used expat something or other, but ive heard you have to pay now? I tried filmon last week in preparation for winter in morocco (where unlimited internet is about 10euro a month), and found it worked .fine

Tea Cup - 2013-11-19 7:47 PM

Have just cancelled my Sky Sports contract to save money, but might take it up again next ( F1) season. Someone said that you can watch F1 on German TV for free. Except it's in German, of course.

You don't need Sky Sports to watch F1. All you need is an HD subscription.

Tea Cup - 2013-11-19 6:47 PM

Have just cancelled my Sky Sports contract to save money, but might take it up again next ( F1) season. Someone said that you can watch F1 on German TV for free. Except it's in German, of course.

Yes there's full coverage (practices, qualifying, race etc.) of all the events free-to-air on the satellite channel RTL on 19.2E.

Much better coverage than the Beeb in my opinion.

They do have adverts but tend to continue to show the picture in a small window, which works well.

bazooka - 2013-11-18 9:14 PM

Theres' an advert for a gadget that looks like a dongle (but it isn't) that claims you can get free tv anywhere. It's in the latest ccc magasine about £20.must be to good to be true!

Baz. ps without sat dish

But you maybe disappointed watching TV on a laptop as the viewing angle is slim. OK when directly in front of the laptop, but you may find OH leaning on your shoulder to get a good view.

laimeduck - 2013-11-18 9:54 PM

At the moment, as long as you have a wifi connection, you can get free TV on http://www.filmon.com/

Best on a laptop for decent screen size.

We use it while abroad & it works just fine.

Thanks for that info. Just tried the FilmOn site and got a great picture on the campsite WiFi. Set it up to record a couple of programmes so will see how that works.

Mike88 - 2013-11-19 8:12 PM

Tea Cup - 2013-11-19 7:47 PM

You don't need Sky Sports to watch F1. All you need is an HD subscription.

That's only for existing customers who took the HD/F1 offer in 2012. Any new subscribers need Sky Sports to get F1.

Steve928 - 2013-11-19 7:29 PM

Tea Cup - 2013-11-19 6:47 PM

Yes there's full coverage (practices, qualifying, race etc.) of all the events free-to-air on the satellite channel RTL on 19.2E.

Much better coverage than the Beeb in my opinion.

They do have adverts but tend to continue to show the picture in a small window, which works well.

That's great info, just what I was looking for. I still can't speak German, but free is a lot cheaper. I might even take my satellite kit with me when I go abroad with the van, I don't normally bother but this could make it worthwhile.

Archived