Another CC rip off

lennyhb

We have been visiting a CC site in a remote area of Northern Scotland for a number of years now and we have bought bottled water off the Wardens for a what we considered to be a reasonable price. This year there has been a change of Wardens and on visiting we were charged £1.80p for a bottle of water that the wardens had bought at Lidl (own brand) for 25p ! - 600% profit - I do not begrudge the wardens making a profit, but 600% !! They undoubtly bought the water and other supplies for the shop when they were doing their personal shop at Lidl. I wrote to the CC complaining about this and they 'didn't want to know' - responding that this was the market price for the product in the area.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest 1footinthegrave

No I don't need to spend a couple of hours driving round to save a couple of quid, I've told you I've bought a refillable system, and I have no objection to anyone providing a "service" at a premium price, and indeed take advantage of that all of the time in my local spar etc.........................and for the last time I admit I made a mistake in thinking a "club" would provide a service at the very least by charging the accepted "top" convenience price like maybe that of a small garage forecourt like our local one here ( £21.50 at the time) , but I was not prepared to be charged the very top dollar price of £24.99, end of.

Finally if you do not believe the clubs have made an official deal with Calor for supply prices in bulk to their wardens all over the UK you can't be as much as a business man you profess to be.

Guest pelmetman
william1 - 2013-11-23 8:16 PM

I wrote to the CC complaining about this and they 'didn't want to know' - responding that this was the market price for the product in the area.

Now there's a surprise *-).................If the bosses are encouraging the wardens to rip off the members 8-) ..............makes you wonder what the bosses are getting away with? :-|

Guest 1footinthegrave
Had Enough - 2013-11-23 8:14 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-11-23 7:59 PM

Had Enough - 2013-11-23 7:36 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-11-23 7:24 PM

Calor do and always have done deliver to the sites, there's no fetching and carrying involved at all, yes by all means make a profit " for your trouble" that's exactly the same any retailer outfit does that is not in dispute, what is in dispute is why a "club" ( I use that word again ) should condone ripping off their members, by telling the wardens not to charge over the odds, or don't keep them at all if it's so much trouble, seems quite reasonable to me, but not you evidently.

But they don't charge 'over the odds'! You may remember from the post in question that the C&CC site to which you referred marked up by 16%!

How much do you think they mark up the bread and the milk?

As I said, if I were a warden and the members complained as you do and used such terms as scam and rip-off I'd give up supplying anything and send you to the nearest Calor dealer, just as I'd send you to the nearest supermarket if you wanted to do some shopping.

Why should they bother? And once more it's not the clubs. They supply campsites, they are not retailers but they allow their wardens to offer certain basic items as a service to the members.

They marked it up by 16% by what other retailers were selling for, considering they are paying trade just the same as the clubs, who may have collectively got even better terms ( as is very likely ) it was in the example I gave the mark up is considerably more, the lowest retail I found was £18.50 as opposed to £24,99, given that the trade price is likely to be around £15, even you would agree £25 is not a 16% markup, any way lets give it up at that shall we, especially as I've invested in refillable bottles now and get the same quantity of gas for £7.50 retail. ;-)

Finally I did acknowledge that I did not know the supply of Calor was a perk for the warden, but even so I'd consider probably a tenner on a bottle not a bad little perk.

But how do you know they are buying at trade price? They don't do enough business to warrant Calor opening an account with them. They buy in tiny quantities from their local Calor dealer. It's the same with bread and milk. They go to Tesco and put a small mark-up on it. It's a service for members which most reasonable people are grateful for.

The next time you run out on a site I suggest that you ignore the warden's service and spend a couple of hours driving round to save a couple of quid!

No I don't need to spend a couple of hours driving round to save a couple of quid, I've told you I've bought a refillable system, and I have no objection to anyone providing a "service" at a premium price, and indeed take advantage of that all of the time in my local spar etc.........................and for the last time I admit I made a mistake in thinking a "club" would provide a service at the very least by charging the accepted "top" convenience price like maybe that of a small garage forecourt like our local one here ( £21.50 at the time) , but I was not prepared to be charged the very top dollar price of £24.99, end of.

Finally if you do not believe the clubs have made an official deal with Calor for supply at very keen prices to their wardens all over the UK you can't be as much as a business man you profess to be.

Guest Had Enough
1footinthegrave - 2013-11-23 8:22 PM

Finally if you do not believe the clubs have made an official deal with Calor for supply prices in bulk to their wardens all over the UK you can't be as much as a business man you profess to be.

As far as I'm aware there is no bulk deal just as there's no bulk deal on bread milk and newspapers. These are private arrangements where wardens, if they so wish, can supplement their income whilst also providing a service for members. The CC simply doesn't want to know! Its job is providing high quality sites. It is not a retailer! Furthermore I have never seen a reference to any site retailing activities in its accounts.

Anyway, I'm done with this topic. These ludicrous conspiracy theories and constant moanings are just too depressing. We now have one member deciding that executives must now be involved in some kind of scam! As I said earlier there's nothing like ex-smokers, born again Christians and ex-CC members to bore the pants off us.

You don't like the CC? That's fine. For God's sake stop banging on about it!

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2013-11-23 8:44 PM

Anyway, I'm done with this topic. These ludicrous conspiracy theories and constant moanings are just too depressing. We now have one member deciding that executives must now be involved in some kind of scam! As I said earlier there's nothing like ex-smokers, born again Christians and ex-CC members to bore the pants off us.

I guess that's how the Mr Flowers and the others bankers got away with it for so long ;-) .................coz they were protected by their sycophants on the board >:-)...........

Guest 1footinthegrave
Had Enough - 2013-11-23 8:44 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-11-23 8:22 PM

As far as I'm aware there is no bulk deal just as there's no bulk deal on bread milk and newspapers. These are private arrangements where wardens, if they so wish, can supplement their income whilst also providing a service for members. The CC simply doesn't want to know! Its job is providing high quality sites. It is not a retailer! Furthermore I have never seen a reference to any site retailing activities in its accounts.

Well I am a smoker, and still a current CC club member, and an atheist, so I guess in your book I'm OK., and you hedge your bets with "as far as I know " always an easy get out in the absence of facts, off to watch a bit of telly now. ;-) as far as I know your a decent bloke, though you'd never know it from your posts on here ;-)

Had Enough - 2013-11-23 7:30 PM

This is just the same in France for instance. On the Ile de Re recently I enjoyed a nice site that wasn't up to the CC standard and it was cheap as it was ACSI, but its summer prices were over forty Euros a night and it was a very simple site.

I have deleted the text around this quote but even in context "It was cheap as it was ACSI" - that is an outrageously snobish statement.

But there again, if the cap fits............

Guest Had Enough
laimeduck - 2013-11-23 11:27 PM

Had Enough - 2013-11-23 7:30 PM

This is just the same in France for instance. On the Ile de Re recently I enjoyed a nice site that wasn't up to the CC standard and it was cheap as it was ACSI, but its summer prices were over forty Euros a night and it was a very simple site.

I have deleted the text around this quote but even in context "It was cheap as it was ACSI" - that is an outrageously snobish statement.

But there again, if the cap fits............

What is it with you that you jump on the most innocent statement and try to twist it into something that it isn't?

I simply said that because the site was in the ACSI scheme its off-season price was cheap at around €15 or whatever the current ACSI deal is. But that in summer, like many sites in the UK as well, it's prices were extremely high, far higher than CC sites.

What is snobbish about that? I use ACSI sites all over Europe, some are superb and some are simpler family-run sites. I simply cannot fathom how you can infer snobbishness in what was a simple price comparison comment.

Baffling!

Guest 1footinthegrave
Tracker - 2013-11-24 9:53 AM

Had Enough - 2013-11-23 11:49 PM

What is it with you that you jump on the most innocent statement and try to twist it into something that it isn't?

Probably because that is exactly what you do - all the time!

Ditto,

I confess I have my "moments" but Jesus he's in a different league altogether.

1footinthegrave - 2013-11-23 9:14 PM

....and still a current CC club member...

So Mike..after all of the bluster, you are still in both of the main UK "clubs" then...?...

(..as you admitted that it was in fact the C&CC that you had "re-joined" in your previous "gas rip off" thread..and not the CC)

If you are indeed in both,then in view of all your "Anti UK/Campsite rip-off/MH unfriendly" stuff, I find that quite surprising.. :-S

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2013-11-24 1:58 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-11-23 9:14 PM

....and still a current CC club member...

So Mike..after all of the bluster, you are still in both of the main UK "clubs" then...?...

(..as you admitted that it was in fact the C&CC that you had "re-joined" in your previous "gas rip off" thread..and not the CC)

If you are indeed in both,then in view of all your "Anti UK/Campsite rip-off/MH unfriendly" stuff, I find that quite surprising.. :-S

At least he's paid for the privilege to moan :D.....................

Steady on, Frank! For brevity I'm snipping down somewhat.

Had Enough - 2013-11-23 7:30 PM.....................Where do you get your information from?

By looking at the annual report in the mag. What I see is not the level of profit I would expect given the prices charged. That is all.

The CC is profitable and it's net worth has grown considerably over the last few years.

Indisputable, but the growth in its net worth was not what I questioned. As I said, I would have expected higher profit in relationship to prices.

...........an example of just how a business should be run. It has no shareholders and all its profits go back into the business .................. Furthermore all major decisions are made by committees of members with professionals employed to run the business. If the members aren't satisfied they can ditch the executives! .

Indeed, I am aware of all of that. But again, that is not what I questioned, which was value for the user.

It claims that its sites make little or no profit possibly because they are of the highest standard and have moderate prices. Have you ever checked on the price of commercial sites in the West Country ................? Yes, in the off-season ..............they may be lower than a CC site ..............

Again, I am aware of this. What I do not understand, is why the sites make "little or no profit". I do not use commercial sites in the west country - or elsewhere - in peak season. We only travel off peak, so I have no interest in UK peak season prices. My apologies, I should have made that clear.

As to quality, my experience is that the quality is generally consistent, but not as high as they, or you, claim. Good, but not that good, would be my comment. However, the cleaning and maintenance on those we have used has been faultless.

This is just the same in France for instance. ...............

Indeed. It is true across Europe that if you visit the tourist honeypots at peak season you pay through the nose and get noisy, crowded, sites. However, that was not my point.

..................CC must be doing something right. Its membership continues to grow ................. It runs its CL operation and gets nothing from your booking when you stay on a farm site. .

Again, I agree. My comment was only to question value in relation to cost. It was not a woholesale attack on the CC, far less on CLs.

I rarely use CC sites .................. I got the best insurance deal via the club and it saved me a lot of money on a long Channel crossing last year..

I have not used their insurance for a long time, but I found better cover, at a better price elsewhere. We now tend to use our Tesco vouchers through the tunnel, so I have no idea what saving is on offer from the club. However, cross channel prices were not my point. Just the price of a pitch on a club site.

I really don't care if some members on here don't want to be in a club, good luck to them. .................

I agree, but that wsan't my point either!

You don't like the CC? ................

I do not dislike the CC, but I do think their off season pitch prices high for what they offer. I do not seek any reason to bang on about it. In fact, I seldom comment on it at all, and I don't think I have ever commented that it is awful. I don't see why I would, as it is not my opinion.

I'm happy that you don't need a club, .................

No one NEEDS a club Frank. But for your information, we are long standing member of both UK clubs, even though we use them, or any of their services, very little.

And as for its popularity, members here really ought to check out the CC's forum. ........

One forum at a time is quite time consuming enough for me! :-)

Guest Had Enough

I'm glad to see that that as well as all your other skills you are also an expert in all matters financial regarding the business of running caravan sites and the expected return on capital and profit margins. I wish I were.

You state that the CC's profit is not as high as you think it should be considering its prices. What should its profit margins be?

You also imply that it charges high prices and should consequently be making huge profits. But it doesn't charge high prices. It doesn't follow the practice of most commercial sites by hiking its prices dramatically in high season. This is the norm in the business as site owners know that they have a captive audience which is stuck with school holidays, and commercial sites, like many seasonal retailers, make the bulk of their profits in a short period of time.

And one thing you can guarantee about CC sites is their excellence. Superb landscaping, generous pitches, 16 amp power sockets and sanitary facilities that are second to none.

The CC does not have the added income from the shops, bars, clubs and restaurants that many commercial sites have. It should be obvious that many sites will offer pitches at break-even in the off-season. Full pitches means income for the shops and bars and restaurants, which have high profit margins. Empty pitches mean that these facilities are losing money.

Commercial sites do not have to fund the running and expansion of a CL network from which the CC receives no revenue. It's a service for its members.

Commercial sites do not have to fund legal and technical departments which again are a service to its members and which will lobby government on our behalf.

But I get back to what you consider is an unsatisfactory profit margin. In the last five years the CC's net worth has increased by ten million pounds, or two million a year on average. This figure is after depreciation and corporation tax. You state that you don't consider net worth and are concerned with its profits. But the increase in net worth is just that, profits reinvested in the business! How else does a company's net worth increase? Occasionally net worth may increase because of a rise in asset values such as property but the CC's increase is profit driven.

In its last accounts its turnover was £98M and its profit before taxation was almost £4M. The club's turnover was down slightly on the previous year owing to lower bookings caused by poor weather but in that previous year its profits before tax were £6M.

I'm not sure how much you actually know about business and what is considered a good net profit but I can assure you that the CC's performance is excellent!

And as you know, none of these profits have been distributed as dividends or paid in huge bonuses to directors. It has all gone into the fund for future development of new sites and the constant refurbishment and upgrading of existing ones. Over the last decades the CC has grown considerably. It is well managed and is steered by ordinary members but run by professionals.

So, what is it that you consider unsatisfactory in its financial performance and what margins do you consider it should be achieving?

Guest 1footinthegrave
Feck me....two big heads having a clash.................should make for an interesting read for the rest of us...............anyone taking bets who will come out top dog, that's what they really long for, bloody pathetic >:-)

As Tracker spotted, I had a senior moment and started a new thread with a post meant for this one. So here is the most relevant part of my post on the right topic!

... Usually I buy my gas when at the CC sites to save me travelling to a Calor Gas retailer - cost of travel £4 [20% 'mark up' plus my time] or waiting whilst one is delivered - Calor Gas charge £5 for delivery [25% 'mark up' plus any waiting time]. Perhaps I see things differently because I'm used to Activity Based Costing and also Procurement.

In the great scheme of things, I'm not that bothered if the Wardens make a few bob at my expense if it makes my life convenient. If I was bothered, I could raise it directly with the CC or go through its forums. Or simply buy elsewhere.

And going back to the OP, I will not be buying the coffee maker. It's no bargain. Lenny's right.

Guest Had Enough
1footinthegrave - 2013-11-24 8:09 PM

Feck me....two big heads having a clash.................should make for an interesting read for the rest of us...............anyone taking bets who will come out top dog, that's what they really long for, bloody pathetic >:-)

I'm really quite glad that you made this post as it once more confirms to everyone what a very unpleasant little man you are! Thank you.

I'd like to remind members that some weeks ago you started another of your whinging threads and accused the CC of a rip-off and scam as one of its wardens had the temerity to sell you a bottle of gas at higher price than you liked. You were castigated by a number of posters for your mean and selfish attitude and for your stupidity in leaving it until the last minute before checking your gas when going to Europe.

Later in the thread it was pointed out to you that the site in question wasn't even a CC site, a silly mistake which you admitted later - you'd not much choice really!

And now, in the second post in this thread you do it again and once more repeat the accusation that the CC of ripped you off. But of course it was the same example and you're again forgetting that it wasn't even a CC site!

Not only are you the most miserable and biggest moaner on this entire forum but you can't even remember the organisation that you should be moaning about! You couldn't make it up!

And you have the nerve to complain about Brian Kirby and me having an intelligent discussion on the merits or otherwise of the CC. !

Are you for real?

Guest Had Enough
Brock - 2013-11-24 8:14 PM

As Tracker spotted, I had a senior moment and started a new thread with a post meant for this one. So here is the most relevant part of my post on the right topic!

... Usually I buy my gas when at the CC sites to save me travelling to a Calor Gas retailer - cost of travel £4 [20% 'mark up' plus my time] or waiting whilst one is delivered - Calor Gas charge £5 for delivery [25% 'mark up' plus any waiting time]. Perhaps I see things differently because I'm used to Activity Based Costing and also Procurement.

In the great scheme of things, I'm not that bothered if the Wardens make a few bob at my expense if it makes my life convenient. If I was bothered, I could raise it directly with the CC or go through its forums. Or simply buy elsewhere.

And going back to the OP, I will not be buying the coffee maker. It's no bargain. Lenny's right.

How nice to meet a sensible and intelligent man who can see more than one side to a transaction!

Guest 1footinthegrave
Had Enough - 2013-11-24 8:27 PM

I'm really quite glad that you made this post as it once more confirms to everyone what a very unpleasant little man you are! Thank you.

I'd like to remind members that some weeks ago you started another of your whinging threads and accused the CC of a rip-off and scam as one of its wardens had the temerity to sell you a bottle of gas at higher price than you liked. You were castigated by a number of posters for your mean and selfish attitude and for your stupidity in leaving it until the last minute before checking your gas when going to Europe.

Later in the thread it was pointed out to you that the site in question wasn't even a CC site, a silly mistake which you admitted later - you'd not much choice really!

And now, in the second post in this thread you do it again and once more repeat the accusation that the CC of ripped you off. But of course it was the same example and you're again forgetting that it wasn't even a CC site!

Not only are you the most miserable and biggest moaner on this entire forum but you can't even remember the organisation that you should be moaning about! You couldn't make it up!

And you have the nerve to complain about Brian Kirby and me having an intelligent discussion on the merits or otherwise of the CC. !

Are you for real?

Intelligent conversation my arse as usual with you the misplaced aim is to impress, and I'm not complaining at all, I'm looking forward to it, though it must be hugely annoying to realize you are universally detested by the great majority on here, and just as you attempted to do in that idiotic saga that ended up involving solicitors and large money wagers your at it again , I personally don't care who the biggest pri*k is between Kirby and yourself……but do come on and make us all have yet another display of you wanting the last word, after all that's all it's about with you …so let battle commence eh.

Guest Had Enough
1footinthegrave - 2013-11-24 10:08 PM

Had Enough - 2013-11-24 8:27 PM

Are you for real?

Intelligent conversation my arse as usual with you the misplaced aim is to impress, just as you attempted to do in that idiotic saga that ended up involving solicitors and large money wagers, I personally don't care who the biggest pri*k is between Kirby and yourself……but do come on and make us all have yet another display of you wanting the last word, after all that's all it's about with you two..…so let battle commence eh.

I have no intention of carrying on this kind of argument on Motorhome Matters. It's not the right place and many people have already told you several times that you're a foul mouthed idiot who can only see the negative side of everything. How many more times do you have to be told? I shall leave you to wallow in your pit of despair.

Now go away and try to memorise the difference between the CC and the C&CC there's a good little man! ;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
That's not difficult......one has got an extra "C" ;-) not that I'll need to remember when my current err CC, or CCC subscription comes to an end :D

1footinthegrave - 2013-11-23 6:21 PM
Brian Kirby - 2013-11-23 6:10 PMUnder the circumstances, I'm a little surprised you've chosen to remain a member. Why haven't you left? Clearly, you are very dissatisfied with them.
It's a funny old world, you and the other bloke seem to think it entirely reasonable for both " clubs" to be charging way over the odds for an item that not so many years ago was the ONLY thing they sold, yes I'm going back to the days of gas mantles................................considering they are getting so much bad press for many things, I don't think I'm the only one dissatisfied. As for my membership I paid out for it, and I don't think they do refunds otherwise I'd have asked for one, I've personally have had enough ( pardon the pun ) of both "clubs"You can both defend the indefensible till the cows come home............a "club" should NOT be charging way over the odds that any other Calor stockist does.

I can't be bothered to read all that followed this post so it might have been addressed already .........however:

Calor stockists don't have to pay the initial 'fee' to Calor for the cylinder 'rental' or whatever it's called.  The Warden, as a customer does.  The warden has to (presumably) drive to wherever to make the exchange for full ones. 

Basically there are costs incurred that the 'Calor' stockist doesn't have and the warden is providing a service so in essence if you or anyone else doesn't like paying a 'little' extra for the convenience then don't buy......go elsewhere.  It's your choice.

Guest pelmetman
RogerC - 2013-11-25 11:47 AM Basically there are costs incurred that the 'Calor' stockist doesn't have and the warden is providing a service so in essence if you or anyone else doesn't like paying a 'little' extra for the convenience then don't buy......go elsewhere.  It's your choice.

My view is that a convenient gas supply is just as important as EHU, showers, waste point etc etc on a campsite, and should be an integral part of the service provided by a CLUB ;-).......Whether that service should be provided as a perk and at an additional premium by the wardens..........or as a service to its members at retail cost or even below is the question?.....But there's the rub........they're clubs in name only *-)........

Guest Had Enough
pelmetman - 2013-11-25 12:15 PM
RogerC - 2013-11-25 11:47 AM Basically there are costs incurred that the 'Calor' stockist doesn't have and the warden is providing a service so in essence if you or anyone else doesn't like paying a 'little' extra for the convenience then don't buy......go elsewhere.  It's your choice.

My view is that a convenient gas supply is just as important as EHU, showers, waste point etc etc on a campsite, and should be an integral part of the service provided by a CLUB ;-).......Whether that service should be provided as a perk and at an additional premium by the wardens..........or as a service to its members at retail cost or even below is the question?.....But there's the rub........they're clubs in name only *-)........
You're quite right of course. The clubs should be made to keep Calor gas cylinders of all sizes, Camping Gaz cylinders of all sizes and for people like me who use LPG they should be forced to install an LPG tank and pump.And what if my leisure battery is failing? They should be made to keep a few of those as well!Earlier this year we ran out of Marmite because I'd forgotten to stock up when at the supermarket and do you know what, the stupid CC didn't have any Marmite in its office and I had to drive three miles to get some!When will these outfits begin to realise that many of us are stupid and can't plan ahead, or are too weak and feeble to nip to the nearest gas supplier?They really need to buck up their ideas these clubs. I just cannot understand how their membership has grown when ordinary decent people have often been unable to survive the hardships of their sites.

Archived