Tyre covers.

Pete-B

At the NEC this year we bought four grey nylon wheel and tyre protectors for when the van is parked up,

they're good quality but do up one the back by way of two Velcro strips. Whilst this is OK, it does mean having to lie on my back to reach round and get to them, which is fine when it's dry but not when it's wet or snowing. When the vans in storage over the winter I like to give it a good blast out occasionally so it means performing this operation on a fairly regular basis.

I just wondered if anyone else has bought these and thought of a better way of putting them on. I've tried doing the Velcro up loosely first but then of course they won't go on!

I can't help with your problem but I was wondering if these covers do anything to stop the corrosion that forms on the brake discs?

Even with regular outings and some hard braking it is difficult to keep the discs clean.

Last MOT I had to wire brush the discs (electric drill) to get the brakes through. Or is there another way to stop the corrosion?

H

Guest pelmetman
hallii - 2013-11-26 3:45 PM

I can't help with your problem but I was wondering if these covers do anything to stop the corrosion that forms on the brake discs?

Even with regular outings and some hard braking it is difficult to keep the discs clean.

Last MOT I had to wire brush the discs (electric drill) to get the brakes through. Or is there another way to stop the corrosion?

H

Build a garage ;-)....................adds value to your house and keeps your camper in excellent nick B-)

hallii - 2013-11-26 3:45 PM

H

Your 'van seems to be on a MK7 Transit and we have had one of these for 6 years and 45,000 miles without ever experiencing any problems caused by disc corrosion. We live inland, away from the sea, in the south Manchester area and I suppose this could be a relevant factor. The disks and pads fitted to the vehicle are the original parts and have never had any special anti-corrosion treatment.

Guest Had Enough

I always smile when I see motorhomes parked up on a site or aire with these fancy tyre protectors. It's usually Germans who line up the fabric so that it's perfectly parallel with the ground. Total teutonic efficiency! The people who use them are also the ones with potted plants around the 'van!

What is the point of them? Surely your tyres will wear out long before exposure to the sun can do them any harm. Mine certainly do!

If it's for when you park it at home for long periods, as has been suggested, throw an old blanket over the wheels if you're really worried. But having to lie in the dirt and strain yourself to put these things on, no thanks!

Prolonged exposure to sunlight is damaging to many materials hence the use of tyre covers in places like Southern Europe and the USA.

Its not a problem in winter in the UK owing to lack of sun so leave them off. Simples.

Covers probably increase disc corrosion due to reduced ventilation prolonging the time overnight condensation takes to dry off.

My motorhome tyre on the vehicle from new are now, 6 yrs old from vehicle manufacture, 5 yrs from registration after conversion, 20k miles and 9mm tread left. Passed Mot no problems, but although I have been told by tyre fitter not to worry about some minor wall cracks, I will be replacing them purely for safety and peace of mind in time for next springs trip to Spain.

I bought wheel covers at 2 yrs into ownership as I did not realise about Sun damage, especially in the Spanish sunshine, so minor deterioration may be due to me. I now always keep covers on and will be more careful with my next set of tyres.

So unless your mileage wears your tyres out before the Sun does any damage then keep them covered.

Archived