Cooking on the move

Will86

Tracker - 2013-11-27 7:41 PM

pepe63 - 2013-11-27 7:20 PM

bolero boy - 2013-11-27 7:05 PM

...bit tongue in cheek, Pepe, as you realised ;-)

;-)

(..to be honest, the ovens in our first two vans, spent most of their lives just operating as expensive bread bins (lol) )

Our oven is dual purpose - a very effective bread and cake bin most of the time and a very effective oven when we fancy a home cooked meal instead of more rabbit food or cafe fodder.

But we do find it easier not to cook on the move in case we spill something!

That's exactly what we do Tracker. Mostly if we do use the cooker it's to heat up things like pies on cold days rather than all out cooking. If the weather is cold we take some of our regular butchers pies to have on the night of arrival.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JudgeMental
bolero boy - 2013-11-28 4:55 PM

JudgeMental - 2013-11-28 9:51 AM

........ surely an easier way to solve would have been to spec van with a compact oven .....

Oooooooh, Eddie, you old heretic! ;-)

I googled "images" of VW vans with ovens and there are loads of examples of them..not many vans that can't accommodate a retro fit either. Don't do winter or sad UK camping so pointless for us....

If you really want to "cook on the move", you could do worse than have a look at RoadPro's C1413 12V Portable Stove. I still have in the garage a 24V version of this from my trucking days. I used to put a couple of inches of water in the bottom, them stand pierced tins of meat pudding, potatoes and mixed veg. in the water. After 2-3hrs. driving (with the cooker securely strapped down in the passenger footwell),

the meal was piping hot and ready to eat. I did used to empty the tins onto a plate before eating, had to keep up some standards!

pepe63 - 2013-11-27 6:40 PM

In fairness, I think(although I may be wrong)that Will has a T5 PVC, so I don't think he, nor many other owners of similar sized vans, would really want to be shoe-horning a full oven into them. ;-)

Oh I don't know, Autosleeper seem to manage it, with the Topaz. mind you it is a bit pricey, Ray

With the layout I chose space was limited. When the latest trials are done I will post the results. Till then thanks for the interest. To be sure I will achieve a result.

Ps the average mpg is 38, it drives like a car with the benefit of a better view.

JudgeMental - 2013-12-01 7:51 PM

sorry but ovens a pretty regular fit in V dubs...just google and you will see loads...

True enough Eddie..but the majority aren't really "full" ovens are they..and probably not the sort of thing that the "Full-Sunday-Roasters" or "On-Site-Cake-Bakers" would call an oven... (lol)

(..and could you imagine the one in that photo you posted, on full whack?..it'd keep your knees nice'n toasty (lol) )

..But I think Will want's something that he can use whilst off hook-up though, Brian...which is why he's been looking down the "hob-top" route...

That RoadPro cooker that Sundowner suggested is an interesting idea...but being 12v, I would've thought only something to be used "on-route"....?

I wonder how "useful" these "thermal cooking pots" are?

http://marleneonthewall.hubpages.com/hub/Another-Kitchen-Must-Have-The-Thermal-Cooking-Pot

sorry but ovens a pretty regular fit in V dubs...just google and you will see loads...

Are you sure that's an oven judge? it looks very like my Smev grill/warming oven :-S it doesn't work efficiently in either mode.

Guest JudgeMental
maggyd - 2013-12-02 1:26 PM

Are you sure that's an oven judge? it looks very like my Smev grill/warming oven :-S it doesn't work efficiently in either mode.

just pulled at random darling......plenty more to choose from :-D

1806086790_oven2.jpg.e4d959feab5e7779c6cd6de96549bff9.jpg

1149100491_oven3.jpg.71f46453679723412fa3b3390742763f.jpg

We have a full oven and separate grill, in a SWB Transit PVC, so it CAN be done. But we chose the van with that in mind - there aren't many small PVCs around that include one.

Without a built-in oven, it would be worth Will85 getting Martin Dorey's "Campervan Cookbook." It assumes all you've got is a couple of rings, and has some great ideas!

Guest 1footinthegrave
On the cooking front without doubt the best purchase we have made is a set of Tefal Ingenio pans...........no handles you see, so all stack neatly within one another, only taking up storage space of the largest pan the handle simply clips on to whichever pan / pans that are in use. Got our set from Leclerc, excellent and dead easy to clean. ;-)

Lots of suggestions thanks. No hook-ups or mains is the idea for the future. Me thinks I better get on with my tests to satisfy the helpful posters.

Yes the T5 was bought for a purpose (me) as Mrs H possibly has a limited existence on this planet which means I can sod off anywhere any when I feel like it. There was no point in keeping an A class for one.

More tomorrow when I report on the tests.

Quote from 'bolero boy'..' one of those elusive gadgets that ....cook stuff!' I've got one of those, it's called the wife, cooks all manner of stuff up in the motor/home and after 40 odd years has not worn out yet. :-D

1footinthegrave - 2013-12-02 6:45 PM

On the cooking front without doubt the best purchase we have made is a set of Tefal Ingenio pans...........no handles you see, so all stack neatly within one another, only taking up storage space of the largest pan the handle simply clips on to whichever pan / pans that are in use. Got our set from Leclerc, excellent and dead easy to clean. ;-)

OMG footy ... we actually AGREE on something ... I have a set of Tefal Ingenio pans too for the camper!!! :-D

I bought an extra handle to save having to keep taking it off one pan to put on another, the only negative I've found is that the handles are heavy so when used on the smaller pans they can topple over quite easily.

Guest JudgeMental
Mel B - 2013-12-03 6:08 PM

OMG footy ... we actually AGREE on something ... I have a set of Tefal Ingenio pans too for the camper!!! :-D

I bought an extra handle to save having to keep taking it off one pan to put on another, the only negative I've found is that the handles are heavy so when used on the smaller pans they can topple over quite easily.

and we bought the 3 pot set also on Mel's recommendation when in France...couldn't get the lids though and seem hard to source... dont really want glass ones :-S

Flippin heck Mel (lol) where do you put it all ??? that's a griddle pan (car boot)! pressure cooker! now a set of Tefal ingenio ;-) come on where do you put it all? I have one small frying pan, a set of three stacking steamer and a sauce pan all fit together in one half of the cupboard!! >:-) I know (!) you have a hanging pan rack suspended from the ceiling (lol) (lol)

Guest 1footinthegrave

Ah we found that to begin with, the trick seems to be only clip the handle on when you really need to lift the pan, having said that we don't cook on the road as such, boiling up veg and the rest, we revert to old technology and make great use of tinned foods that only require a warm through, and don't bother with a stir so no need to put the handle on until serving. We've been so impressed with them we have bought another 6 pan set for home, as they all fit so easily in the dishwasher.

And here's a second thing we agree on, owning a motorhome makes for some interesting and fun times. ;-) not too mention the folk you meet. :D

maggyd - 2013-12-03 9:54 PM

Flippin heck Mel (lol) where do you put it all ??? that's a griddle pan (car boot)! pressure cooker! now a set of Tefal ingenio ;-) come on where do you put it all? I have one small frying pan, a set of three stacking steamer and a sauce pan all fit together in one half of the cupboard!! >:-) I know (!) you have a hanging pan rack suspended from the ceiling (lol) (lol)

Chip basket, 2 small Ingenio pans, plastic mixing bowl and folding 'fan type' steamer rack, go inside the pressure cooker (along with the trivet and 2 baskets) so take up no more space than the pressure cooker itself and sit on one of the shelves in my 'pantry' (former wardrobe), a couple of smaller pan lids go in the wardrobe too. The double skillet, medium Ingenio frying pan, frying pan lids, head spreader, grill pan base, 2 folding toaster racks and pan handles all go in the Smev grill. As for the griddle pan, it lives under the dinette seat along with the small gas 'canister' stove and 'gourmet grill/indoor bbq' as hubby uses these outside so they don't come out very often! :-D

497891179_gourmetgrill.JPG.7104b5c97f0f02733aaacaa84e33ff43.JPG

Guest 1footinthegrave

So who says a PVC van leaves you short on storage................ ;-)

and room for three dogs.................. :-S

but I notice the wardrobe has been taken out of use. :-(

mind you many can make a pair of pants last a fortnight, and I doubt you'd notice them getting a bit whiffy :D

Don't need the wardrobe for clothes, these are more than adequately catered for in the 4 lockers above the bed, we also only keep about a week's worth of underwear/socks etc in the lockers with the rest being stored in one of the underbed lockers, and when we put the dirty washing bag under there each week, we just retrieve some fresh ones. :-D

We have more storage space in our van than we need, which is great so that we put presents under there and can 'collect' other bits and pieces from car boot sales etc as we travel! :->

Archived