Gaslow etc in Spain/Portugal

crbtaylor

We have been filling Gaslows in Portugal for the past 7 years and only ever been refused once at a BP station where the manager was a bit pedantic. Oddly we filled at another BP station an hour later.

There are plenty of petrol staions with gas pumps along the Algarve so no problems.

crbtaylor - 2013-12-01 2:19 PM

Is it possible to get re fillable gas bottles fitted in Spain Or Portugal. If so any suggestion. We are currently south of Benidorm heading for La Manga then Tavira. Thx

If you are passing this way I can fix you up with a gas bottle or 2 ...this way is Guardamar / Rojales / La Marina..Marjal Camping area. Give me a call or text and we can meet locally.

You could also get one on loan from some campsites I believe.

You will also need a regulator or adaptor depending on your vans system,

Brian 0034 630279922

Oops - I misread your post as asking for places to refill tanks.

There was, many years, ago a factory which many motorhomers went to to have tanks / bottles made for their 'vans. The guy was far cheaper than the UK installers and did a lot of trade.

He was situated just on the edge of Quelfes (north of Olhao). I can't remember the name of the firm. I only went once (pre Gaslow days) to have some Brit bottles refilled.

If you want your Brit bottles refilled - there is a guy near Boliquieme who fills anything - If you haven't got a bottle he would probably fill an old carrier bag for you.

These directions were given by BGD back in March -

Directions: heading west along the N125, take the SECOND turning right for "Boliqueime" (also signposted for "Pederne", and with a small "GPL" sign too), and the gas station is 100 metres up that road. Plenty of room to park/turn round on his forecourt.

Satnav: N37'07.688 W8'09.556

Phone: 289360797

web: www.cmpedro.com

Another place to get a Spanish cylinder is a motorhome dealer. We had a water leak by the boiler, popped into a local dealer to get it fixed and casually asked if he would sell us a bottle. No problem. Luckily Spain and the Republic of Ireland use the same "jumbo" fittings.

Good job we did as our one from home ran out that night, 7 days after leaving home. The nights have been a bit cold.

Guest 1footinthegrave
starvin marvin - 2013-12-01 1:54 PM

Why would you want to? Both have cheap botlled gas everywhere. You may need to buy a cheap empty Repsol bottle at a flea market, then a regulator at a ferreteria. The bottle dhould cost E 10 and the reg E 7 to 8.

He wants to because he has a re-fillable system :-S :-S

crbtaylor - 2013-12-01 1:19 PM

Is it possible to get re fillable gas bottles fitted in Spain Or Portugal. If so any suggestion. We are currently south of Benidorm heading for La Manga then Tavira. Thx

Surely this post is asking if it is possible to get refillable has bottles FITTED not FILLED in Spain or Portugal. I take this to mean he wanted to replace his current system with a refillable one?

I don't know how long the OP is staying away but on this trip it must be easy to get cheap bottled gas as has been suggested? Of refillables are required, have a look here after returning?

Many thanks for the usefull info. I have decided initially to buy a Repsol bottle to keep us going

And then look at probably getting one refillable, gas low or similar and keep the Repsol as a back up. This way I believe I should be able to get gas in France, Spain and Portugal. I really did mess up and underestimate how much gas we would require. We have been out for 4 weeks with about half that time wild camping, a first for us. Got thro 11kg of gas with very frugal use, no heating at night etc, hence our dilemma

bolero boy - 2013-12-02 8:07 AM

crbtaylor - 2013-12-01 1:19 PM

Surely this post is asking if it is possible to get refillable has bottles FITTED not FILLED in Spain or Portugal. I take this to mean he wanted to replace his current system with a refillable one?

I don't know how long the OP is staying away but on this trip it must be easy to get cheap bottled gas as has been suggested? Of refillables are required, have a look here after returning?

Been. Out for 4 weeks and decided to stay I till March, hence the op for refillable

1footinthegrave - 2013-12-02 7:43 AM

Why would you want to? Both have cheap botlled gas everywhere. You may need to buy a cheap empty Repsol bottle at a flea market, then a regulator at a ferreteria. The bottle dhould cost E 10 and the reg E 7 to 8.

I don't have a refillable system but I'd like one

Guest 1footinthegrave
crbtaylor - 2013-12-02 9:01 AM

1footinthegrave - 2013-12-02 7:43 AM

I don't have a refillable system but I'd like one

Apologies to "Starvin marvin" ...................................... :$ a senior moment for me, but I would concur with him, why bother even if you could get someone to supply and fit, because you'll find places where you can refill a bit thin on the ground. (!)

crbtaylor - 2013-12-02 8:13 AM

Many thanks for the usefull info. I have decided initially to buy a Repsol bottle to keep us going

And then look at probably getting one refillable, gas low or similar and keep the Repsol as a back up. This way I believe I should be able to get gas in France, Spain and Portugal. I really did mess up and underestimate how much gas we would require. We have been out for 4 weeks with about half that time wild camping, a first for us. Got thro 11kg of gas with very frugal use, no heating at night etc, hence our dilemma

i think the decision to go for both is a good one. We have a refillable system which is great. However, GPLcan sometimes be a bit scarce in Spain and we carry an on bottle adaptor ("jumbo") to allow us to connect a Spanish bottle to our system. Not needed it yet.......

Guest JudgeMental
Spanish bottles are a fair size though! Won't fit in many lockers, at least not the ones I have seen on sites down there.....

bolero boy - 2013-12-02 5:57 PM

Eddie, yes some are large domestic type bottles but both Cepsa and repsol appear to market 11kg Propane cylinders which should be OK tho i cant see any dimentions on the specsheet.

The Cepsa 11kg PROPANE gas bottles are 30cm diameter and 58 cm to the top of the regulator

The Cepsa 12.5kg Butano is 30cm diameter and 59 cm to top of the regulator .

Repsol dimensions are pretty much the same, but they do a BBQ size 6Kg about half the above size and expensive to exchange unfortunely don't have one available to measure.

Brian

Got a repsol 11kg from Bken1, A very pleasant man who delivered a bottle and reg to me for a very reasonable price. Got it exchanged for a full one for the bargain price of 15 euros, nearly half the price of Calor! As the saying goes " we Are cooking on gas " our van fits 2 11 kg calor bottles ok

BKen1 - 2013-12-02 5:33 PM

bolero boy - 2013-12-02 5:57 PM

Eddie, yes some are large domestic type bottles but both Cepsa and repsol appear to market 11kg Propane cylinders which should be OK tho i cant see any dimentions on the specsheet.

The Cepsa 11kg PROPANE gas bottles are 30cm diameter and 58 cm to the top of the regulator

The Cepsa 12.5kg Butano is 30cm diameter and 59 cm to top of the regulator .

Repsol dimensions are pretty much the same, but they do a BBQ size 6Kg about half the above size and expensive to exchange unfortunely don't have one available to measure.

Brian

thanks Brian, should be about the same size as my Gaslow 11kg refillable. Cheers.

No big surprise that refills (exchanges) are cheaper than Calor, Colin. Calor must be the most expensive exchanges on the planet (barring CampinGaz of course, which always leaves you feeling you must've bought the company by mistake!)

Good move to get a local system rather than a refillable one though, where you are - we have Gaslow, which has always been easy to fill up in UK & France but we found LPG stations a bit thin on the ground in Spain earlier this year - no idea about Portugal.

Just a note about the Repsol bottles.

We have found in the past that you can easily exchange a Spanish Repsol bottle in Portugal but the Spanish don't like exchanging a Portuguese Repsol bottle.

What's the difference? - The Spanish one's have two handles whereas the Portuguese have a protective collar round the tap which incorporates the handle. The fittings are exactly the same!

Frankkia - 2013-12-02 8:52 PM

Just a note about the Repsol bottles.

We have found in the past that you can easily exchange a Spanish Repsol bottle in Portugal but the Spanish don't like exchanging a Portuguese Repsol bottle.

What's the difference? - The Spanish one's have two handles whereas the Portuguese have a protective collar round the tap which incorporates the handle. The fittings are exactly the same!

I've exchanged Spanish Repsol, colour mainly orange with blue, for Portuguese Repsol, colour mainly blue with orange and back again. I've also exchanged plastic Repsol "K6" for steel 11kg with no problem. We have even changed a Spanish Repsol in Pau France!

crbtaylor - 2013-12-02 8:13 AM

And then look at probably getting one refillable, gas low or similar and keep the Repsol as a back up. This way I believe I should be able to get gas in France, Spain and Portugal. I really did mess up and underestimate how much gas we would require. We have been out for 4 weeks with about half that time wild camping, a first for us. Got thro 11kg of gas with very frugal use, no heating at night etc, hence our dilemma[/quote

You are in my view thinking along the right lines. Our Hymer takes 2x11kg. We have one refillable and one Spanish Repsol with a manual changeover valve. Works perfectly, we travel thro' France using refillable gas, top it up just before leaving France, then we go onto our Repsol bottle, when that runs out we switch back to refillable until we've exchanged it then back onto the Repsol. Simples.]

Archived