Bordeaux......WOW!!

snowie

snowie - 2013-12-01 8:08 PM

just seen Portillo in Bordeaux'........... trams with no overhead power cables..incredible.

So many places we've been ruined by cables.

More please

cheers

alan b

Do not tell Edinburgh Council. They have just spent £1 billion on an 8 mile single line that is 5 years late. They have it almost finished but are scared to switch on the power in case certain Eastern European types nick all the cables. They have 27 brand new trams sitting in a depot but only need about 8, so if anyone else wants one, please call. Oh sorry forgot ECC decided to make the trams a different size from anybody else in the UK, so they do not fit any other system. On the bright side if you ever do travel in one, there are 52 'Customer Service' personnel at all times to tell you how good everything is. It will stop you noticing there are only 65 seats in a vehicle 150 feet long. A double decker bus has nearly 90 seats. By the way it terminates at the airport but it is a 1/4 mile walk to the Terminal and will take longer to get to town than the current bus service, oh and it will cost you more. As it also bypasses most of the main route into town, so if your hotel is along that route you will have to get a bus back out from town.

Never mind the Council always knows best.

In August 2013 Tours inaugurated a tramway with electrical power being provided via a mixture of overhead catenaries and the APS (Alimentation Par le Sol) ground-level system.

Details of the Tours project and the APS system can be found here

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramway_de_Tours

http://www.metro-magazine.com/article/story/2009/05/wireless-power-systems-enhance-global-tram-projects.aspx

It will be seen that, in France - besides Bordeaux and Tours - the tramway systems of Angers, Reims and Orléans also include APS.

Guest pelmetman
snowie - 2013-12-01 8:08 PM

just seen Portillo in Bordeaux'...........

We watched it to..................I wonder if 1foot knows Portillo's got his swimming cozzie? :D

Guest pelmetman
Iain Strachan - 2013-12-02 4:38 PM

Will85 - 2013-12-01 9:53 PM

That surely is enough to vote no in the reforendum.

As some one who lives in Gatwick, you will not have to worry as you will not have a vote.

If we did I suspect Salmond would be home and dry (lol) (lol).............

We watched this too - and realised that we've never visited Bordeaux, just passed by or passed through! Unfortunately it won't really fit in with our plans for either of the trips we've got in mind for 2014 - never mind, Bordeaux isn't going anywhere, we'll take a good look sometime. Can we do hashtags on here?

#bucketlist

I can recommend an ACSI site just north of Bordeaux 2013 book no 1349,. There is a bus stop right outside that takes you into the city

Site called Village du Lac Camping de Bordeaux Water and Electric on pitch.Site is open all year, pretty site set around several lakes.We only stayed one night as we where on our home, but will go back and take the bus into city, maybe be next year, on way down to Spain in April.

GPS N44.53.62 W 0.34.56

PJay

pelmetman - 2013-12-02 5:18 PM

As some one who lives in Gatwick, you will not have to worry as you will not have a vote.

Today was a Red Letter Day as the 1st tram reached the West End. It took 3 hours to travel 3 miles. Only another 2 miles to go.

One could point out that the main Contractor was German and the trams were made in Spain, which had nothing to do with the cost overuns? For some strange reason we are managing to build a 30 mile railway line to the Borders for about £300 million and that includes 5 new stations. But then again Edinburgh Council are not allowed anywhere near the Project. .

We have stayed at Camping du Lac 3 times now and agree it is a very nice site- even in the snows and bitter cold of January and March. We stayed earlier this year for a couple of nights in March so that we could go and look around Bordeaux. The bus from outside the camp takes you round the houses for 10 minutes to the tram station interchange where you take the tram to the city centre- another 5-6 minutes or so. I think from memory there are 4 tram lines and you can hop off and on and change between lines as often as you like. The ticket for public transport cost us €1.20 each and lasts for a 1 hour period. It is fine to get on any form of transport before the hour is up but once you go over the time you have to buy another ticket for your next conveyance.

We were a bit disappointed with Bordeaux. The cathedral was closed for long term renovations and everything was very expensive- we even got ripped off by a café in the market hall where, despite my protests, they charged us well in excess of the prices shown on the menu. We may stop overnight again but nothing longer. The campsite is adjacent to Bordeaux's exhibition centre and I think access during large exhibitions could take quite a long time- but, as Pjay says. it is a nice site with good facilities.

Bob

pelmetman - 2013-12-02 5:18 PM

Can I send you a postal YES vote then?

Archived