Motorhome drive away awnings.

Tertia

Hi there.

We currently own an Adria twin SP, Fiat Ducato, van conversion and would like to buy a drive away awning that would occasionally sleep two. We have looked at a Khyam Driveaway compact 300. and a Motordome Tourer on the internet.

We would love to hear your views on these or any other make of drive away awning.

happy Christmas.

Tertia.

You'll get mixed views on driveaway awnings - many people think they're more trouble than they are worth.

That said, we got a Vango inflatable one this year - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wyq2j4gTQI

It has a sleeping compartment that you can leave out if you don't need it, and it fits onto a rail on the rollout awning we have on the van. You wouldn't put it up and take it down daily, but it's useful when you're in one place for a bit, and of course does provide extra sleeping space.

Overall, it gets a thumbs up from me, not least because it's very easy to put up, and because it's main frame is inflatable, it tends to give a bit in the wind, rather than resisting and getting blown away.

Happy Christmas to you as well.

Totally agree with the above post, we also have the Vango. You can also use it as a "shed" if you don't want to attach it to the van. I have seen them freestanding at the end of an extended Fiama awning, needs a fair size pitch but another possibility. :-D

Guest 1footinthegrave
Well I'd say if you want one, you'll find loads of them for sale second hand, more often than not saying "used once" so grab a bargain, with the almost certain knowledge that you'll be able to advertise it saying "used twice " that will also eliminate the argument who's going to sleep in it. :D

I bought one (cant remember name of it) from a dealer when I was visiting my Daughter in November "used once" £100 off list price, good buy thinks me so paid me money.

Took it back to said daughters and checked it over "used once my a***e" where the poles go through was all worn and holed although the rest seemed in good nick. So straight back to the dealer for money back !!!

Think it would probably be more bother than its worse if trying to put that one together was anything to go by. Blow up one maybe interested, have to have a look see what there is

Guest 1footinthegrave

Just a thought for the OP, assuming the intention is to take a further two people with you, and their associated bedding / clothes etc, not to mention an awning as well, with a PVC space is going to be a bit tight isn't it ?

We loved our IH panel van, but even if it was possible due to a different layout, four folk in it would have been a nightmare.

Guest JudgeMental

we have the same van, and carry a pop up tent secured to underside of bed frame...it does if the kids decide to fly over and join us for a bit of touring in warmer climes.

Loads of awnings on ebay, as most put up once or twice and they end up in garage until they get around to selling them. The only time I would consider using one is for long winter stays in Spain, but just to accommodate 2 people, or when touring? No way Jose!

the type of awning you need depends on the type of camping, and what time of year you intend to use it. most of these modern lightweight awnings only suitable for light weather use so pretty pointless...

Archived