winter trip 2013/14

starvin marvin

Guest Peter James
I'm in Cornwall for my winter trip as a change from Spain. Surrounded by sea warmed by the Gulf Stream weather is consistently mild, with sub tropical plants you don't see in the rest of Britain. Not as warm as Benidorm obviously, but warmer than just about everywhere on the journey down there.

Peter James - 2013-12-13 7:52 AM

I'm in Cornwall for my winter trip as a change from Spain. Surrounded by sea warmed by the Gulf Stream weather is consistently mild, with sub tropical plants you don't see in the rest of Britain. Not as warm as Benidorm obviously, but warmer than just about everywhere on the journey down there.

I live in south Devon not that far from the border with Cornwall. There is no way that the weather here is nearly good enough to spend the winter. While I agree that it is probably warmer here than anywhere on the route to Spain, you find in this part of the World that there is a lot of mist and not a lot of sun in the winter months. I have noticed though more motorhomes down here than in previous years especially those wildcamping without being troubled by the authorities.

However, I've just noticed that you are from Scotland and perhaps that explains why you feel the weather is OK in this part of the World. But for the rest I suggest Cornwall is no substitute for Spain.

Guest Peter James
Mike88 - 2013-12-13 8:40 AM

I live in south Devon not that far from the border with Cornwall. There is no way that the weather here is nearly good enough to spend the winter. While I agree that it is probably warmer here than anywhere on the route to Spain, you find in this part of the World that there is a lot of mist and not a lot of sun in the winter months. I have noticed though more motorhomes down here than in previous years especially those wildcamping without being troubled by the authorities.

However, I've just noticed that you are from Scotland and perhaps that explains why you feel the weather is OK in this part of the World. But for the rest I suggest Cornwall is no substitute for Spain.

I'm talking about the seaside not Dartmoor ;-)

I'm in St Mawes now (12deg C) and went round St Just in Roseland Church Gardens this morning. I am no expert, but I know the winter weather must be mild to grow the plants they have there!

Peter James - 2013-12-13 4:00 PM

Mike88 - 2013-12-13 8:40 AM

I'm talking about the seaside not Dartmoor ;-)

I'm in St Mawes now (12deg C) and went round St Just in Roseland Church Gardens this morning. I am no expert, but I know the winter weather must be mild to grow the plants they have there!

I live on the end of a cliff overlooking the sea and not Dartmoor. 12 degrees, some light rain and mist here - a fairly typical day down here in winter. I have palm trees in my garden and some shrubs in bloom and rarely get a frost but I wouldn't want to spend the winter camping here. But good luck anyway as I'm a southern softies who thinks holidaying out of the sun is grim.

I'm glad you are enjoying it.

Archived