Travel Insurance over 90 days and over 65yrs

starvin marvin

I know we have had anumber of threads re travel insurance in general. However I don't think we've had this thread specifically.

As the thread says I'm looking for over 90 days, this pm I've spoken to Insure &Go, Age UK, Comfort Ins, and NFU Mutual.

Insure & Go are max 31days but will "refer" for up to 60days.

Age UK quoted £717.69 or £667.22 if we exclude personal possessions.

Comfort will only quote if you have home insurance with them.

NFU are the same as Comfort.

Does anyone have any suggestions on companies, before I lose the will to live!

Many thanks

Try J D Travel 0844 2474749/mail@jdtravelinsurance.co.uk. . My problem is 'existing condition' and advanced age - 75! However, other friends have found them helpful and they can normally find a reasonable !! priced insurance for various needs.

I too have spent many boring hours looking for travel insutance so good luck.

Thanks for the replies, I'll try L&V, unfortunately not a member of the C&CC.

When we're awayon a long winter trip we meet so many folks who say they simply rely on the nhs card, E whatever. At first I found it strange, but then when to get to know some of the free campers many seem to have a background of risk taking, ie self employed etc and are seemingly happy to take a risk with having no private insurance cover. Maybe some just give up when getting cover once you're over 65 is so difficult.

Thats just a step too far for me. Anyhow I'll report back later on any progress.

starvin marvin - 2013-12-18 10:42 PM

Thanks for the replies, I'll try L&V, unfortunately not a member of the C&CC.

When we're awayon a long winter trip we meet so many folks who say they simply rely on the nhs card, E whatever. At first I found it strange, but then when to get to know some of the free campers many seem to have a background of risk taking, ie self employed etc and are seemingly happy to take a risk with having no private insurance cover. Maybe some just give up when getting cover once you're over 65 is so difficult.

Thats just a step too far for me. Anyhow I'll report back later on any progress.

There are numerous reports from people who will tell you that if you are taken ill in Spain you are required to attend a State hospital which rules out the many private hospitals that exist in the most popular areas. I have heard of a person who went through the hoops in Benidorm when they eventually ended up in the state hospital in Villajosa after being given the run around by the hospital and insurance company which I believe was the CandCC insurers.

When you attend the State hospital you are asked if you have insurance and if so they refuse to treat you and send you to a private hospital which your insurance then refuses to pay. They disregard the EHIC. The insurance companies terms and conditions tend to state that you do not have health insurance but medical cover which is different apparently. After a lot of hassle the State hospital agree to treat you but take your credit card on which the cost of X Rays etc are charged but not the actual treatment. The insurance company advice was not to admit you have travel insurance but to get treated on the EHIC. There's quite a long thread on this over on the MHF site.

I have travel insurance and will continue to do so as I visit the States most years but I do wonder how effective the cover is if you travel to Spain. Perhaps there are posters on here who have had a better experience.

This is the text of one such thread:

"It’s unbelievable isn’t it? I couldn't believe my ears!

I had been referred to the A&E dept (Urgencies) of the nearest hospital by the GP I had consulted at the walk-in clinic. I needed ECG and a couple of other tests. When the hospital admin lady refused my EHIC I then rang the insurance company - before I had any treatment or tests. For over one hour I had discussions with 3 members of the insurance company, I also handed the phone over to the hospital admin lady so she could talk to the insurance company - then my son - who speaks fluent Spanish - had conversations with everybody! Insurance refused to be responsible for payment. They reiterated that I should not have admitted to having insurance and said it was not private medical insurance. I advised them I hadn’t told the hospital that I had private medical insurance, I had said travel insurance and the hospital said as far as the hospital was concerned it was one and the same thing. The hospital gave us a 3-page copy of the Spanish law to back their position. I said to the insurance people "so you actually want me to lie?" They said you should not admit to having insurance, you should deny it, which, in other words, is lying. I asked one of the insurance ladies I spoke to her if she would lie. She said yes.

I was stuck between a rock and a hard place. Hospital would not accept my EHIC, insurance would not agree to pay costs.

I then had to give the hospital my credit card details in order to get treatment. (€500) In the following weeks, after many more conversations and with them repeatedly saying you should have presented your EHIC and my repeated reply that I HAD presented my EHIC, the insurance company eventually agreed to cover my costs (less various amounts for things like obtaining a medical report from my GP to verify I had given all correct details) but I think that might have been because I reminded them that their telephone conversations are all recorded. I did intend to follow it up when I got home but have not done so yet because I feel stressed just thinking about it. I’m not sure where to go with my complaint.

I bought my travel insurance through the Camping and Caravanning Club and it was underwritten by Europ Assist. I have always bought travel insurance and this is the first time I have ever had to see a doctor or visit a hospital when abroad. What an experience it turned out to be."

Hi,

We were in the same position as you this summer. We had 116 days in Europe. CCC could cover us for Long Stay Single Trip insurance but we went with Staysure Single Long stay which covers up to 6 months. We had to pay just over £450 for the pleasure. Due to added costs and circumstances, next year, our trips are under 90 days each so we have gone for annual, multi Trip insurance with L and V FOR £269

We are paying less for next years 3 trips compared to the one we did this summer.

For your circumstances the best we found for over 90 days was Staysure.

Chris

We have caravan club insurance up to 120 days. Over that it goes up considerably, but my husband's angina is covered. He is 66. He had to go to hospital in Spain the year before last, the EHIC was accepted no problem and the subsequent prescription for antibiotics was free of charge from the Pharmacia. We were very impressed throughout.

Hi, on the other thread, I reported some success from Caravan Club and screening for my conditions..no problems..all accepted.

As a matter of interest, today I contacted LV, and went through the screening with them..result..conditions NOT covered, and price higher than Caravan Club, .

Tony g3nwl.

I've now spoken to Staysure and L&V. The best value at both were annual multi trip policies and L&V were the most competitive with lower excesses and lower price, but with a max of 90days, which is a bit of a bummer.

I'm now off to check with my bank/bldg soc.

Think I'll need a holiday after all this phaffing about. Growing older is not a lot of fun when dealing with these organisations.

starvin marvin - 2013-12-20 1:59 PM

I've now spoken to Staysure and L&V. The best value at both were annual multi trip policies and L&V were the most competitive with lower excesses and lower price, but with a max of 90days, which is a bit of a bummer.

Think I'll need a holiday after all this phaffing about. Growing older is not a lot of fun when dealing with these organisations.

Marvin

You mention Bank/Building Soc. If you are with Nationwide, you should be Ok, as we have ours with them 90 days, could have had more, but 90 is enough for us, as Doctor will only give prescription for that amount of cover, which is my problem. we both in 70's, no problem for us.

Best of luck

Hi

If you qualify, the Constabulary Travel Company offer competitive rates so long as you declare any medical situations prior to the issue of the document. We have annual multi trip travel insurance for up to 90 days anywhere in the world except USA, that would be an extra consideration and as I am not contemplating going to the USA I dont know how much. Cover in Europe at present will do. Hopes this helps someone.

Art

STARVIN MARVIN

The only policy that you will get will have to be "Single trip long stay insurance"

I trawled through everything in the summer and CCC and Staysure were the only ones at a fair enough price but all were over £400 so you may have to bite the bullet until your house insurance is renewewd and then you go with Comfort and can have their annual multi trip for the time you want. Only reason we are not with Comfort now is because they excluded some medical conditions but their offer was £169 then

Chris

PJay, this year for the first time our doctor was unable to give us more than three months prescriptions. However, we were able to get the extra month we needed by paying for the drugs. I went with £100 to collect them as I had no idea how much it would be - it was £1.69 for my husband and 80p for me! Problem solved.

Rowan Lee - 2013-12-21 9:35 AM

PJay, this year for the first time our doctor was unable to give us more than three months prescriptions. However, we were able to get the extra month we needed by paying for the drugs. I went with £100 to collect them as I had no idea how much it would be - it was £1.69 for my husband and 80p for me! Problem solved.

It's amazing what you can buy over the counter in Spain and incredibly cheap with a 40% government subsidy. Many prescription medications in the UK are available in Spain without prescription.

PJay - 2013-12-20 5:23 PM

starvin marvin - 2013-12-20 1:59 PM

Marvin

You mention Bank/Building Soc. If you are with Nationwide, you should be Ok, as we have ours with them 90 days, could have had more, but 90 is enough for us, as Doctor will only give prescription for that amount of cover, which is my problem. we both in 70's, no problem for us.

Best of luck

I think the Nationwide Travel Insurance is only up to 65 yrs unless they do a separate Travel Insurance Policy.

Archived