OBD Scanner for X2/50

Gram

Its worth saying that just clearing fault codes is rarely going to do any good, unless of course they are faults of your own making. If they are genuine fault codes they're telling you there is a problem, clearing the fault code will not fix the problem that caused it in the first place. understanding what the fault code is pointing to can be a tricky job. For example a fault code indicating an O2 sensor problem (on petrol engines) could be caused by a faulty O2 sensor, a faulty MAF sensor or a faulty MAP sensor or even a dirty air filter. The fault code is only ever a guide as to the actual fault, it will almost never tell you what component has failed.

D.

I was leaning towards the Autel Maxiscan MS309 but had conflicting advice from suppliers as to whether or not it is suitable.

Some say it is not compatible with vans as they have a different OBD system.

But, as they say, the proof of the pudding is in the eating - thanks Steve (and Dave, of course).

I rather suspect that the basic reading of fault codes is common across all OBDII vehicles. Maybe the differences in system are evident when a more advanced scanner is used in order to monitor dynamic data.

G

Dave Newell - 2013-12-27 6:52 PM

Its worth saying that just clearing fault codes is rarely going to do any good, unless of course they are faults of your own making. If they are genuine fault codes they're telling you there is a problem, clearing the fault code will not fix the problem that caused it in the first place. understanding what the fault code is pointing to can be a tricky job. For example a fault code indicating an O2 sensor problem (on petrol engines) could be caused by a faulty O2 sensor, a faulty MAF sensor or a faulty MAP sensor or even a dirty air filter. The fault code is only ever a guide as to the actual fault, it will almost never tell you what component has failed.

D.

But...all the sensors you mention are dirt cheap to buy and fit yourself. So......it's still way cheaper to substitute to find the faulty one than take it to a Fiat dealer and get shafted for putting it on their diagnostic computer. All the obd codes are downloadable from the web. All of these codes are only applicable to pollution control systems anyway.

peter - 2013-12-27 8:23 PM

Dave Newell - 2013-12-27 6:52 PM

D.

But...all the sensors you mention are dirt cheap to buy and fit yourself. So......it's still way cheaper to substitute to find the faulty one than take it to a Fiat dealer and get shafted for putting it on their diagnostic computer. All the obd codes are downloadable from the web. All of these codes are only applicable to pollution control systems anyway.

A decent code reader will not only give you the code but should tell you in English words what it means. Yes some sensors can be cheap but others are not so cheap, MAF sensor for a 1250cc Fiesta for example is about £20, HO2 sensor for the same car is over £70. MAF sensor for a Toyota Yaris was over £80. You could very easily spend a lot of money with a trial and error method of diagnosis.

I merely aimed to point out that just deleting fault codes will not generally fix a problem and that you need a bit of knowledge to use a scanner for accurate diagnosis to avoid the trila and error method.

If anyone does have a fault and uses a scanner to read the code I'd suggest you then google the fault for your particular vehicle as many vehicles suffer common faults, injector fault symbol coming up on X244 Ducatos is a good example as its most commonly caused by the wiring being too short.

D.

Guest pelmetman

That's interesting...........and puts a different slant on my views about the longevity of modern vans ;-) .............as getting these sensors once manufacturers have ceased making them was their Achilles heel in my view :-|...................but if they start becoming available on ebay and such like ;-).......

Not that such things will be a problem for Horace :D.............

Dave Newell - 2013-12-28 5:09 PM

dwaviation - 2013-12-28 4:14 PM

Dave, will the Memoscan OBD reset the service interval ie, clear the spanner?

I don't think so but if you leave it and ignore it it will eventually go away on its own I believe.

D.

The flashing spanner goes away by itself after 1000km.

Then you get the flashing oil light (oil can symbol) for 30 seconds every time you start the engine and sadly that never goes away (on Peugeot).

pelmetman - 2013-12-28 5:49 PM

That's interesting...........and puts a different slant on my views about the longevity of modern vans ;-) .............as getting these sensors once manufacturers have ceased making them was their Achilles heel in my view :-|...................but if they start becoming available on ebay and such like ;-).......

Not that such things will be a problem for Horace :D.............

You can get the sensors anywhere Dave, including fleabay. May of them are common to a great many different makes of vehicle, O2 sensors being a good example.

dwaviation - 2013-12-28 9:09 PM

Irratating isn't it... that you can do your own oil change then have tp pay a Peugeot dealer or Fiat dealer £25 to clear the dash symbol which takes them less than 10 seconds to do...

Google Peugeot service light and you will no doubt find the right buttons to push on there.

Here's an example.

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/maintenance-9/reset-sevice-indicator-5202/

Guest Peter James
peter - 2013-12-28 10:20 PM

dwaviation - 2013-12-28 9:09 PM

Irratating isn't it... that you can do your own oil change then have tp pay a Peugeot dealer or Fiat dealer £25 to clear the dash symbol which takes them less than 10 seconds to do...

Google Peugeot service light and you will no doubt find the right buttons to push on there.

Here's an example.

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/maintenance-9/reset-sevice-indicator-5202/

But if you read that link it goes on to say it doesn't work with the X2/50 (2011 Boxer). Or am I missing something here (?)

Peter, there's a suggested method for the 2011 Boxer on Page 3 of the forum.

It would be interesting to know if it really works.

Presumably the Spanner lights up after so many miles. I've never seen it on either of my Boxers.

G

Guest Peter James
Gram - 2013-12-29 4:43 PM

Peter, there's a suggested method for the 2011 Boxer on Page 3 of the forum.

It would be interesting to know if it really works.

Presumably the Spanner lights up after so many miles. I've never seen it on either of my Boxers.

G

Did you mean this one - (* Place the ignition key in the MAR position (1st notch) and wait until the spanner stops flashing,

* Press the trip recorder re-set button for five seconds.

-------The distance remaining to the next service is displayed-------.

* Press the trip distance recorder zero reset button for five seconds to store the operation in the memory.)

Doesn't do anything with my X2/50 (2008 manufactured Citroen Relay)

Archived