OUTWELL chairs

crob

I show below an extract of a letter I wrote to Outwell at the beginning of November. There is obviously not going to be any reply, which is a bit disappointing, and I am interested in other readers' experience of Outwell chairs. We thought that by paying £50 for two chairs we would be buying quality - all we have bought is a colourful rainbow design!

"I enclose a photograph of one of two chairs that we purchased from Towsure in Sheffield on 16th August 2011. I know that this is now over two years ago but this chair split open as I sat down in it earlier this year on our holidays in Europe. The other chair is also starting to split along the stitch line in exactly the same way.

We could have purchased cheap chairs but we bought these more expensive ones as we thought that we would be buying better quality, but sadly this was not the case. We do not believe that these chairs represent good value for money - £49.30 for 77 days." (77 days is the number of camping days we have had since buying these chairs.)

Any recommendations for decent quality chairs?

Not a good way to go about achieving some sort of 'goodwill' resolution to your chair 'failure' really.

Maybe a letter saying you were happy with the chairs initially but are now disappointed they have failed in this way after such relatively little amount of use.  Couple with that explain that you bought them because of the Outwell reputation for quality and you might stand a better chance of achieving a more satisfactory solution.

Looks like you've probably shot the 'please the customer' ethos in the foot with your last comment.

Just because there are cheaper camping chairs about, it doesn't necessarily follow that by paying 25 quid it will ensure that you'll be getting "quality" .... :-S ..not when the likes of Lafuma are £100-200+ ...

http://www.lafuma.co.uk/index.php?p=products&cat=1&catname=lafuma_recliners

..and unfortunately , at 25 quid, we're still in "Chinese tat" territory.

(admittedly, some "tat", is better than others... ;-))

I had a pair of Lafuma that both developed a slight problem after about 18 months ish

I contacted the supplier who ask for a photo of the problem.

Lafuma told the supplier to replace and i had two new chairs within 3 days of my original e mail to the supplier notifying them of the problem

We used to have some old scissor action directors chairs but made of steel, not wood, but after many years of use they went rusty! *-) So we bought some lovely chairs from the York motorhome show (remember that?) back in 2001, for the princely sum of £25 for the two I think on a special offer, they only had 4 left, one of which was a display model, so we quickly snaffled the two unused ones. The arms lift off at the front and flop down to the side and clip to the 2 rear legs, then the whole lot squishes together 'concertina style' so they fit into long tube bags. They are made of lightweight aluminium and are very, very strong and comfy, by using a couple of small 3-legged folding stools we can sprawl nicely!

You can get them now but the last time I saw them they were over £50 each. However, Quest also make a similar thing (ours aren't Quest but I don't know who's they are as they are safely tucked up in the camper at the moment!). This is Quest's offering:

http://www.wayfair.co.uk/Quest-Leisure-Products-Paclite-Chair-in-Black-5003-QLP1037.html

Ours don't have 'tubular' cross frame sections, instead they are 'flat' with an angled piece running down them for strength so are better quality hence whey they have probably lasted so long and are as good now as they were when we first got them, none of the stitching has deteriorated, nor the plastics etc. Below is picture of one of our previous dogs having a snooze on one of them! :-(

1538112146_piggyonchair.thumb.JPG.e10e3dea4059feba12f62aec316e264b.JPG

Mel B - 2014-01-02 11:52 PM

You can get them now but the last time I saw them they were over £50 each. However, Quest also make a similar thing (ours aren't Quest but I don't know who's they are as they are safely tucked up in the camper at the moment!). (

I think that is what we are all saying Mel, in today's money you can't get a decent chair under 50 quid, a really good one is nearer a hundred.

We bought Outwell chairs about 4 years ago, can't remember the exact price but they were around £40 each. We chose them because we had always been happy with the quality of their tents and other camping equipment. They were also very comfortable and lightweight.

On the second year of use I noticed on one chair that the hard plastic reinforcment, where the seat attaches to the front leg, had split. On closer inspection it seems like poor design and/or the use of even poorer quality materials.

I didn't bother writing to Outwell, just repaired the chairs myself with more robust materials. Would I buy their chairs again............probably not.

We have 2 of these http://www.hayesleisure.co.uk/used-motorhome-pilote-motorhome-132 along withthe footrests as i like to be able to set the backrest independently of the leg height unlike in some all-in-one recliners. They can also be used at the table without the footrests as an ordinary chair.

We have had them for three full seasons and they seem strong and well made.

They would cost around £100 the pair incl footrests, so about in the ball park.

I cant afford Outwell but..thinking of taking my chairs back..

Now I know I spend more time traveling around when i get on site,and sometimes have no need for "chairs"I guess there may be times when they are useful?

Farmer Palmer` s market in Dorset provided the Answer..two plastic recliners for £5..including cushions..

Big and cumbersome they may be..not too heavy..full recline if needed??

Amazing thing is that in the 7 years I have had them,I don't remember using them more than once?

Too busy seeing whats going on..lifes too short to sit down!!

Tongue in?

regards

Archived