Spain Jan-March. What to wear?

chris

This might seem a strange request but we are taking the van to Spain for the winter for the first time. We have always travelled June to August so struggling now with packing the clothing. We will be at Benidorm and Valencia next week and just wonder how hot and cold to prepare for. Shorts or scarves? Sandals or boots?

Many of you are regular visitors to Spain for the winter so please can I have your advice.

Thanks in advance

Christine

All of those things! The evenings and mornings can be very chilly, ice on the car, etc, but it soon warms up when the sun gets up, then it's shorts by lunchtime. If the sun doesn't get up, then it's fleeces all day. Christmas Day here (Almeria) was diabolical, howling gale, lashing rain, cold, so bad was it that we had to drive to the on site bar for Christmas lunch. But today we had a New Year lunch, all sat outside in glorious warm sunshine. So pack what you would pack for an English summer, I suppose.

Have a good trip.

Guest Peter James
Costa del Sol even more variable in winter. You have snow capped mountains behind you and the Sahara over the water in front of you. If the wind is blowing up from the Sahara it feels like summer here. If its blowing down from the mountains it feels like winter here.

chris - 2014-01-01 5:16 PM

This might seem a strange request but we are taking the van to Spain for the winter for the first time. We have always travelled June to August so struggling now with packing the clothing. We will be at Benidorm and Valencia next week and just wonder how hot and cold to prepare for. Shorts or scarves? Sandals or boots?

Many of you are regular visitors to Spain for the winter so please can I have your advice.

Thanks in advance

Christine

So, in short, prepare for winter, but hope for summer. :-)

It really is pot luck. One of our winter trips, we had snow fields in the Auvergne on the way through France, then lovely sunny days for two weeks in Spain, shorts and tee shirt weather, followed by 4 days of cold wet miserable sit in the van weather, before we set off home again through more snow in France.

In benidorm at the moment, and I usually manage to get through lots of different clothes in the space of 10 hours. One minute I'm wrapped up in my fleece,then I I've got my shorts on, then I'm chilly , so on goes my cardi...... And on it goes all day long. But it's worth it just to see that sunshine.

• 4 weeks later...

Well after 3 weeks in Benidorm you were all right. The main clothing I would say is a fleecy gillet. I usually wear a t shirt or polo shirt with one. When cycling then, a zip up tracksuit top is good. I started wearing trousers but mainly wear three quarter trousers now. This week it hit 22 degrees and it was hot but yesterday it was cloudy and quite cool. Lowest day temperature would be about 13 degrees but on average it has been 15-16 degrees. Only had 2 days with some rain.

Next time I would bring less summer strappy tops but it is January here so we have February and March to go through yet. Thoroughly enjoying our first winter sun holiday though.

Chris

PS. Glad we had our 15tog quilt on the bed though as nights are cold.

peter - 2014-02-01 11:35 AM

February is the coldest on the Costa Blanca. We're in Alfas del pi (Almafra) at the moment and it's lovely.

Sounds good Peter; we are planning to be in that area 20-22Feb all being well.

Are you sitting outside in the afternoons? and what time do you have to retreat indoors?

It'll be our first winter sun trip in the van, so a lot of unknowns at the moment. Got the wardrobe sorted, had a dummy run with the new awning; so nearly ready! can't wait. Oh! one last query; when's the windy season?

regards

alan b

we are leaving Lincoln next Saturday for costa brava then Valencia. Cant be any colder than it is here today (or windier) Don't care though. Just looking forward to the change. All types clothes catered for. Had the van weighed this morning and its either my Pepsi removed or him indoors leg amputated!!!!! Just joking. A bit harsh when the weighbridge operator looks at me and says "your overweight."

audgreen - 2014-02-01 2:46 PM

we are leaving Lincoln next Saturday for costa brava then Valencia. Cant be any colder than it is here today (or windier) Don't care though. Just looking forward to the change. All types clothes catered for. Had the van weighed this morning and its either my Pepsi removed or him indoors leg amputated!!!!! Just joking. A bit harsh when the weighbridge operator looks at me and says "your overweight."

Audrey;

It's a beautifully sunny day here, but the wind is getting up a bit. Just got awning packed away, blew around a bit putting it up, but sorted most of the process out before needing to put it up with an audience.

Where did you get van weighed in Lincoln area?

Both places I've used previously no longer do it?

regards

alan b

Hi. Its on the road that runs through hykeham about half mile past pennells. I think its 3rd left (coming from Newark. It has i think hykeham aggregates or quarry on the sign at the turning. They will do it free if you go between 8 & 10 on a Saturday morning. I offered the guy a few quid for a beer but he said he wasn't allowed to accept payment. Did a proper job. Both axles and gross.we've took ours twice now

Hi. Its on the road that runs through hykeham about half mile past pennells. I think its 3rd left (coming from Newark. It has i think hykeham aggregates or quarry on the sign at the turning. They will do it free if you go between 8 & 10 on a Saturday morning. I offered the guy a few quid for a beer but he said he wasn't allowed to accept payment. Did a proper job. Both axles and gross.we've took ours twice now

Archived