Thread resolutions (or not)

bolero boy

Perhaps, as the OP, I should close this off by saying that good manners cost nothing. If we are to be self moderating, which is really where we are, then this is as far as this thread can go so I say 'thanks' for all the contributions, advice taken on board.

Fin.

Brian Kirby - 2014-01-03 3:46 PM

Having said that, I do think a bit of active moderation might be a good thing from time to time, just to keep some of the unrulier posters under control! However, that is a somewhat different subject. :-)

A different subject indeed Brian.

As I have always understood it, a moderators job is to ensure that posters comply with the rules of the forum.

Any moderator who takes on the job of policing the 'courtesy' of members is likely to get a very unpleasant response.

;-)

A watch this thread button would be useful, and when the query is answered/ ended the original poster can mark as complete. This happens on a Genealogy site that I use, and is very helpful

PJay

Forgot to say I do occasionally visit "the other site" (under a different nom de plume) but it does not have much on it sadly, notice one or two posters from here on there, as well as Tony

This forum has a Jeckyl and Hyde sort of personality. I follow it most of the time and am able to glean a lot of useful and interesting information which frequently helps us enjoy the use of our motorhome. I have also used the forum when I have needed specific advise or information, and almost without fail contributors have made an effort and tried to help us. For this aspect of the forum I think it is without parallel, and I am prepared to put up with all the stupidity and continue to follow it, and be grateful for it.

It is with the other face of the forum that I am most unhappy. There appears to be a group of you that seem to regard it as your own personal forum. You appear to know a great deal about one another and your posting are often quite personal and specific, there are a lot of in jokes, and there seems to be a fair amount of antagonism and aggression. When someone asks for help it is immediately forthcoming, but is likely to degenerate quite quickly into another slanging match. When anyone from outside the "in crowd" offfers an opinion it is generally apparently not noticed, occasionally attacked, but seldom acknowledged. If that outsider chooses to make comments about non technical matters then the intrusion is ignored, or the thread dies.

So should we be grateful for all you give us. Of course we should, and I am sure the overwhelming majority of people seeking help find some way of expressing that gratitude. As has been already stated, quite often the resolution of a problem can take weeks, or even months, before they are resolved. In this case the thread is pages back, and not all of us are so savvy and computer literate that we can happily wander around this forum like teenagers. Doesn't the mere fact that we come back to the forum time and again indicate to you that we appreciate, and are grateful for the efforts you make for us?

Just one last thought, it seems that some of you retain, in some form or other, this vast accumulation of knowledge and experience of all matters related to our pastime, it almost seems to be a hobby for you, and if you are to enjoy your hobby to the full then presumably you need people like us to ask you questions, so that you can show off your prowess. We're being kind to you really. So come, get down from your high horse and live a little, let others live too.

Remember the Good Samaritan, he stopped to offer help and did all he could at the time. On his way back he stopped by and checked it out. He asked nothing for himself, he was just happy to have helped. Could not you be like that?

AGD

As far as I'm concerned the forum is a tool for gaining and relaying experiences about our hobby. So if a member has a problem and receives several replies it is a common courtesy to expect a short response explaining how the issue was resolved.

Others on here might have a similar problem and feedback from an original poster explaining how a problem was resolved can be most useful. A case in point is the poster whose vehicle failed its MOT because the tester indicated the Fiat base rested too close to its bump stops. It later transpired that the Fiat bump stops are an integral part of the suspension system so should not have failed. As I recall the original poster fed back his experiences and several members have benefited as a result.

I don't get the previous post. Is there really an "in crowd"? Some might post more than others but I for one am grateful for their advice or the information they provide. If I can help anyone I will and I'm sure that goes for the overwhelming number of members on here.

It could be said that some don't give information about resolutions because they never come back again whether it is because of rudeness from some of the more vitriolic members or because they found the information elsewhere (some people ask the same question on different forums).

Take the"Fiat side lights - Am I legal" thread. - The OP asked the question and received a lot of good advice with members giving links and even posting 'photos - The OP last logged on to ask the question as a first post and has never been back even to read the replies.

Frankkia - 2014-01-06 1:03 PM

Take the"Fiat side lights - Am I legal" thread. - The OP asked the question and received a lot of good advice with members giving links and even posting 'photos - The OP last logged on to ask the question as a first post and has never been back even to read the replies.

...not necessarily; if the OP logged out, they can still read responses (but not post) if they don't log back in again.

I agree with most of the above, I think the reason we have so many 'One post, ask a question or advice then dissapear, never to be heard of again' type of people, is because this is a 'free' forum (and long may it remain so, Amen) and as such, some treat us 'regulars' with a bit of contempt, perhaps contempt is a bit strong, unthoughtfulness is more it.

I don't belong to any other Motohome Forums, the payments they require disuade me. I prefere to have the advertising.

It would be nice and courteous if folk did say thanks, or a least give an outcome, but thats people for you.

As for the squabbles, you come across them in life everywhere too, It's still a great resource for motorhoming, as long as we realise that we all do things slightly differantly, and there is no 'Right' or 'Wrong' way of enjoying our pastime. Ray Happy New Year !

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2014-01-03 9:20 AM

After all, not everyone is as daft as "us" and find themselves reading a bunch of 65-80+ year old blokes spouting twaddle and arguing amongst themselves!? (lol) (lol)

Some of us are not that old Pepe ;-).....................maybe I have EOT.............. early onset twaddling 8-).......

pelmetman - 2014-01-07 9:36 AM

pepe63 - 2014-01-03 9:20 AM

After all, not everyone is as daft as "us" and find themselves reading a bunch of 65-80+ year old blokes spouting twaddle and arguing amongst themselves!? (lol) (lol)

Some of us are not that old Pepe ;-)........

Neither am I but unfortunately it still doesn't stop me(us?)from sometimes getting drawn in and reading(and possibly posting?) the aforementioned "twaddle", does it..? (lol)

Archived