Putting Van on Blocks over winter

eddieandsue

Can anybody advise whether we are doing the right thing? As our driveway slopes down towards our garage, all the water that pours off the top of our MH into our garage. We have put the MH onto some Fiamma Blocks so that the rain goes off the back of the van. Will it damage the tyres if we leave it on the blocks over the winter? (?)

No doubt you will get negative replies to this with weight disribution brought into it, But years ago I made a set of wooden ramps which I drive my Motorhome on ,it lifts the front up about 6 inches above level ,this allows water etc to run off and does not pool anywhere on the roof of the motorhome, the four Motorhomes I have owned had been treated the same way with no know detriment to the suspension,

A little of the pace.. but my next door neighbour took the wheels of his Caravan and stood it on Jacks?He does this annually to "save" his tyres!

Recent high winds lifted it of the jacks,turned it about 180 degrees..costalotta!!!

I know your idea of jacking is not the same..a motor home is much heavier, and you will ensure no such thing could happen.

But it did happen.. without wishing to teach Granny how to...make certain of the jacks.

regards

Cork's wooden ramps are a better idea as you can make them big enough to support the tyres over their full width. If using the Fiamma ramps I would take the van for a drive at least once a week to keep the tyres supple as they will be under a lot more pressure the fiamma ramps do not support the tyre fully.

lennyhb - 2014-01-04 10:25 AM

Cork's wooden ramps are a better idea as you can make them big enough to support the tyres over their full width. If using the Fiamma ramps I would take the van for a drive at least once a week to keep the tyres supple as they will be under a lot more pressure the fiamma ramps do not support the tyre fully.

Milenco Ramps are the full width of (most) motorhome wheels,and have a solid base. Ray

Rayjsj - 2014-01-04 12:55 PM

Milenco Ramps are the full width of (most) motorhome wheels,and have a solid base. Ray

I have a downward facing drive just like the original poster. I have also bought some Milenco ramps. Basically they are useless as all that happens is that the ramps fail to grip on sloping concrete. In fact if you look underneath the ramps there are small pimples so there is very little contact with concrete. On grass they would be fine as the pimples would assist grip but on a hard surface they are ineffective.

Don't waste your money. Wood is fine.

We put our AT Scout on ramps to reduce the massive deluge of water that comes over the front of the roof onto the windscreen and "suspect" scuttle in heavy weather. We have the Milenco ones which cover the full width of the tyre and have had no issues. Ensure tyres are left at recommended pressures.

I had some part-length scaffold planks knocking about, so I just cut them down into staggered lengths(2x 30"-24"-18")and just stacked & screwed them together ...

I leave these in situ on the drive and as the "rise" is quite gradual(and "staggered")it's easy enough to just roll up onto them when I arrive back home....

Mike88 - 2014-01-04 1:03 PM

Rayjsj - 2014-01-04 12:55 PM

I have a downward facing drive just like the original poster. I have also bought some Milenco ramps. Basically they are useless as all that happens is that the ramps fail to grip on sloping concrete. In fact if you look underneath the ramps there are small pimples so there is very little contact with concrete. On grass they would be fine as the pimples would assist grip but on a hard surface they are ineffective.

Don't waste your money. Wood is fine.

Had that problem on a C&CC hard-standing couple of weeks back (why make a hard-standing a slope?) took several attempts before both wheels went up evenly, and that was with the drive wheels.

eddieandsue - 2014-01-03 9:12 PM

Can anybody advise whether we are doing the right thing? As our driveway slopes down towards our garage, all the water that pours off the top of our MH into our garage. We have put the MH onto some Fiamma Blocks so that the rain goes off the back of the van. Will it damage the tyres if we leave it on the blocks over the winter? (?)

Hi eddieandsue, in my experience, leaving the van up on blocks is not detrimental but I do check the tyre pressures approx. every two weeks. I also take it for a short run of up to twenty miles about once a month. The best investment I have made in this respect was a 2.5HP Compressor that is kept in the garage so that I can do pressure checks on the drive! ;-) B-)

Archived