Spain

rapidoman

Off in mid Feb and the route takes us from Clermont Ferrand to Monpellier.Has anyone done this route in Feb as have been told it goes up and down a few plateaus and the road could be iffy.If so will look for another route from Orleans. Hoping to stop at Carcassone on the way so this might make a difference. Going via tunnel and avoiding toll roads. Also any good aires on route will be helpful :-D

rapidoman - 2014-01-07 5:04 PM

Off in mid Feb and the route takes us from Clermont Ferrand to Monpellier.Has anyone done this route in Feb as have been told it goes up and down a few plateaus and the road could be iffy.If so will look for another route from Orleans. Hoping to stop at Carcassone on the way so this might make a difference. Going via tunnel and avoiding toll roads. Also any good aires on route will be helpful :-D

I haven't done it in February but have been nearly stranded on that free motorway in November. I understand the road is normally kept clear so the early snow possibly caught the authorities off guard. The road has many peaks up to around 1350 metres.

I gather most winter travellers use the route via the western coast of France and then via the Somport tunnel into Spain.

We have done it twice in February, but both times checked the forecast for a couple of days beforehand, to make sure it had no fresh snow. The road was clear, but there was snow laying on the fields etc alongside. It was clear the road is kept gritted and ploughed when necessary

We have done this route a few times and also in January, the last time there was snow at the highest point on the A75 and the temperature was down to -7c but the roads were clear.

A fellow motorhome owner who lives by the A75 had told me he has never ever seen the road blocked as they always clear it.

Just check the area forecast to see if any snow is forecast before you go

RD

Archived