Dogs falling sick after visiting New Forest

JohnP

Last year Mel B wrote regarding the mysterious death of some dogs after visiting the New Forest. This was discussed on this forum.

Today on local TV it was reported that the illness has been identified as Alabama Rot. What is causing the problem has still to be identified.

JohnP - 2014-01-17 4:32 PM

Last year Mel B wrote regarding the mysterious death of some dogs after visiting the New Forest. This was discussed on this forum.

Today on local TV it was reported that the illness has been identified as Alabama Rot. What is causing the problem has still to be identified.

Not sure if you can believe all that you read but I found this on another forum, mostly to do with greyhounds as it is common in racing dogs as they are fed raw meat, so I am told.

This may make sense from the forest due to the large number of cattle, sheep, pigs etc.

We stay at Sandy Balls quite a lot but have not been since this this started, just not worth the risk to our springer as she is in every ditch stream she can find.

It said it was caused by a toxin produced by bacteria such as Ecoli

"E. coli (and especially E. coli O157) is carried by about 30% of cattle. It could show up in meat, water, soil and any produce picked up from contaminated soil (it has been found in unpasteurized apple cider and spinach, for example).

It usually causes problems in humans after it has been ingested - vomiting, diarrhea (mucus and blood), cramps and, if it passes beyond the bowel to the blood stream, it may cause hemolytic uremic syndrome, kidney failure and blood coagulation disorders.

I don't think it would be a stretch to consider that Alabama Rot could have been contracted by other means than eating contaminated meat. I haven't done any literature search but I suspect that this possibility just has not been explored well enough, yet. "

When we were down there last year we asked the pet shop in Brokenhurst were it was and was told that it was in the Ringwood area. Hope this helps but it is last years information so if you want to visit the New Forrest this year it may be worth checking with a local vet to get the latest information. We are booked in near Brokenhurst again this year but plan on keeping our Boarder Terrier on a long extender lead because she is a great one for going off hunting and will also pick,up and eat anything she thinks edable.

Seasonal Canine Illness frequently happens every year particularly in the Sandringham and Thetford forests in Norfolk and Suffolk, and to a lesser degree in other woodland locally.

There is much on the internet about it as a quick Google will show and the worst times of year seem to be the autumn months September to early December.

Archived