Sorning

chas

I intend to Sorn my van for a couple of months, so that I can relicense for a 6 month period. From what I have read it appears that from the first of a month of the new period I can just relicense on line and the Sorn will automatically cease. As anyone done this without complications ? Thanks

colin - 2014-01-19 11:01 AM

The system is apparently changing at moment so best keep your fingers crossed that Swansea don't mess it up.

Yes, agree there!

I, having received the "reminder" and being unaware that Sorns no longer "expire", I mistakenly tried to re-sorn my motorbike online and no matter which route I seemed to followed, non recognised the ref or reg numbers..and I was just met with "Sorry..cannot proceed..Goodbye" type messages..!?

Just why on earth their system couldn't just say "sorn in place.. renewal not required"?

They had, after all, just sent me a "reminder" telling, me that my sorn was about to expire! *-)

pepe63 - 2014-01-19 11:11 AM

colin - 2014-01-19 11:01 AM

The system is apparently changing at moment so best keep your fingers crossed that Swansea don't mess it up.

Yes, agree there!

I, having received the "reminder" and being unaware that Sorns no longer "expire", I mistakenly tried to re-sorn my motorbike online and no matter which route I seemed to followed, non recognised the ref or reg numbers..and I was just met with "Sorry..cannot proceed..Goodbye" type messages..!?

Just why on earth their system couldn't just say "sorn in place.. renewal not required"?

They had, after all, just sent me a "reminder" telling, me that my sorn was about to expire! *-)

Your not the first to complain of that. I'm a bit concerned as we regularly get SORN reminders but seems a long while since we got one, Whats the betting several of our vehicles have slipped throu the system and they will start chasing us with fines for not renewing.

Do not see any reason why there should be a problem. If you are concerned then just go to your local post office to re-licence.

I thought about putting mine on SORN to move the period to cover time I was out of UK. The only problem that arose was as I was claiming back licence fee I could not re-licence until after the refund was processed and that was indeterminable. This was all so I could display a valid tax disc which will no longer be issued after October ? of this year so now no longer a problem.

I also understand that when you tax for 6 months a premium is added. If you tax for full year then you get a refund for complete months so you can avoid the premium by purchasing full year.

colin - 2014-01-19 11:22 AM

...I'm a bit concerned as we regularly get SORN reminders but seems a long while since we got one, Whats the betting several of our vehicles have slipped throu the system and they will start chasing us with fines for not renewing.

Being a bit of a belt'n'braces type of bloke, I did check mine by following "Start Now" on here:

https://www.gov.uk/register-sorn-statutory-off-road-notification#

..and then clicking the "Vehicle enquiry" tab and entering the vehicle details..the page then said "SORN in place" (..and although the page as shown, is undated ( *-) ) , ours acquired a date along the bottom when I printed it out.

Chas that is what I do and in fact I intened to put my motorhome back on the road by buying the new licence online quite soon.

Hamish I am not sure I have understood your post correctly. I assume that you mean that you intend to re-licence before going abroad and not sorning it (forgive me, it's late!).

Patricia - 2014-01-19 10:33 PM

Chas that is what I do and in fact I intened to put my motorhome back on the road by buying the new licence online quite soon.

Hamish I am not sure I have understood your post correctly. I assume that you mean that you intend to re-licence before going abroad and not sorning it (forgive me, it's late!).

Like the OP I wished to move my tax period forward a few months so I would have a valid tax disc displayed for the period I was abroad, so proposed to SORN it for a month then re-tax. The problem was that I had only recently taxed, DVLA could not say how long it would take to refund and if I had applied to re-tax before refund received I would have lost refund. We have therefore decided to return before end of April 2014. I appreciate I could have taxed on line but then that involved getting the disc posted from my home to a campsite in Spain.

As it is now I will be able to re-tax from Spain in April 2015(2015) as tax disc will then not be required to be displayed

Edit Hope clearer and my apologies for delay.

pepe63 - 2014-01-19 5:26 PM

colin - 2014-01-19 11:22 AM

...I'm a bit concerned as we regularly get SORN reminders but seems a long while since we got one, Whats the betting several of our vehicles have slipped throu the system and they will start chasing us with fines for not renewing.

Being a bit of a belt'n'braces type of bloke, I did check mine by following "Start Now" on here:

https://www.gov.uk/register-sorn-statutory-off-road-notification#

..and then clicking the "Vehicle enquiry" tab and entering the vehicle details..the page then said "SORN in place" (..and although the page as shown, is undated ( *-) ) , ours acquired a date along the bottom when I printed it out.

The trouble is with 20 vehicles this means checking paperwork for each to see which ones require sorn , was helping someone today over this, SORN runs out end of this month, she came to ask me as she could not reSORN, checked to see status and it says SORN in place, but no indication as to weather this runs out or is continuing, due to this and another thread elsewhere we decided it must be on self renewing SORN, only way to tell would be a long wait phoning Swansea or wait till Feb and check status.

colin - 2014-01-21 7:05 PM

SORN runs out end of this month, she came to ask me as she could not reSORN, checked to see status and it says SORN in place, but no indication as to weather this runs out or is continuing, due to this and another thread elsewhere we decided it must be on self renewing SORN, only way to tell would be a long wait phoning Swansea or wait till Feb and check status.

But I don't think that they do "run out" as such anymore, though..

This:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you need to make a SORN

You don’t have to buy a tax disc if you don’t use or keep your vehicle on a public road (eg you keep it in a garage, on a drive or on private land). You must make a SORN instead. Your SORN is valid until your vehicle is taxed, sold or scrapped.

Your vehicle must be in and remain in Great Britain to make a SORN.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

( lifted from front page of here: https://www.gov.uk/register-sorn-statutory-off-road-notification# )

pepe63 - 2014-01-22 8:55 AM

colin - 2014-01-21 7:05 PM

SORN runs out end of this month, she came to ask me as she could not reSORN, checked to see status and it says SORN in place, but no indication as to weather this runs out or is continuing, due to this and another thread elsewhere we decided it must be on self renewing SORN, only way to tell would be a long wait phoning Swansea or wait till Feb and check status.

But I don't think that they do "run out" as such anymore, though..

This:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you need to make a SORN

You don’t have to buy a tax disc if you don’t use or keep your vehicle on a public road (eg you keep it in a garage, on a drive or on private land). You must make a SORN instead. Your SORN is valid until your vehicle is taxed, sold or scrapped.

Your vehicle must be in and remain in Great Britain to make a SORN.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

( lifted from front page of here: https://www.gov.uk/register-sorn-statutory-off-road-notification# )

I agree, BUT, she got a tax/sorn reminder telling her it needed to be renewed, when you've sent off your Driving License for what should have been a simple address change and it comes back without half the entitlements and they tell you you've never had them you learn to double check everything Swansea does.

Thanks all- I think I will have to stand in a long queue at my local post office, and see what version they can come up with *-) as a small shift in topic as there been any news of increases in the road fund license for this new year, usualy comes in 1st april in the past. >:-(

Archived