My FIAMMA Awning problem

rugdoctor

gypsymu - 2014-01-26 3:27 PM

Hi Brian I have been following this post with interest so are you saying everybody needs to carry a pair of steps to do this because we couldn't reach to put the legs in or out if it was only wound out one metre.

I'm repeating what Omni say about extending/retracting their awnings. How you achieve that is for you. However, if that is the manufacturer's clear instruction, and your van is as you describe, it seems you may have the wrong awning, or it has been fitted at the wrong height. That, IMO, is between you and whoever fitted the awning. The physical reasons behind Omni's instructions won't suddenly vary to suit what an individual can reach.

Brian Kirby - 2014-01-26 4:03 PM

gypsymu - 2014-01-26 3:27 PM

Hi Brian I have been following this post with interest so are you saying everybody needs to carry a pair of steps to do this because we couldn't reach to put the legs in or out if it was only wound out one metre.

I'm repeating what Omni say about extending/retracting their awnings. How you achieve that is for you. However, if that is the manufacturer's clear instruction, and your van is as you describe, it seems you may have the wrong awning, or it has been fitted at the wrong height. That, IMO, is between you and whoever fitted the awning. The physical reasons behind Omni's instructions won't suddenly vary to suit what an individual can reach.

Brian, he could simply have a tall motorhome so the awning had to be put at that height, or he is a shortie (some of Elton John's old platform boots might help! :D) anyway ... we always have a small folding step with us so could use that if we had a similar problem.

A way of supporting the outer front edge of the awning as it is wound out would be to use a pole of some sort to support the centre of the front edge of the awning as it is wound out more, then once it is at a height where it can be supported by hand, the legs can be put out as normal. :-D

Mel B - 2014-01-26 3:57 PM............Nope, it doesn't .... it just means that he had lowered a leg! :D ................

Just for clarity Mel, what do you mean by "lowered".

To me, this means taking a leg (stored horizontally behind the awning lead rail), and lowering it to the vertical. Logically, one would only do this when winding out the awning.

Other activities with the legs would be telescoping them down before raising them for storage back behind the lead rail (before winding the awning fully in), or extending them to support the awning from the ground, when winding the awning out.

I'm only pursuing this because I'm unsure which interpretation of "lowering" George is agreeing, and therefore still can't fully understand exactly what he was doing at the time the leg "popped" its hinge. If we could pinpoint that, it could help prevent others from experiencing a similar problem, or it may point to a fault in Fiamma's design. Equally, it may just point to a defect in George's awning leg hinge. All is to play for! :-)

Sorry guys ,my description was not very good.

What i should of said is that i was retracting the rear leg of the awning not lowering the awning when the front leg seperated from its housing causing the front of the awning to dip and twist.

I will redesign the leg fixings myself to ensure that i have no more problems.

George

rugdoctor - 2014-02-01 12:30 PM

Sorry guys ,my description was not very good.

What i should of said is that i was retracting the rear leg of the awning not lowering the awning when the front leg seperated from its housing causing the front of the awning to dip and twist.

I will redesign the leg fixings myself to ensure that i have no more problems.

George

Were you able to push back in the leg that "popped out" of the plastic bracket and how easy was it to push in?

JudgeMental - 2014-02-01 12:35 PM

This an unbelievabubble thread....what bloomin "back leg" *-)

Listen carefully, I will say this only once (more!). *-)

The awning has ONLY 2 legs - the ones on the outer edge (wind out front) of the awning at each corner. I take it that the FRONT one means the one located on this outer edge corner nearest the FRONT END of the camper, and the REAR one to mean the one located on the outer edge corner nearest the BACK END of the camper ...

Better???? :D

Picture below just in case .... :$

48594957_awninglegs.jpg.f3bd3640a403330c13b49d2f193ba75e.jpg

Guest JudgeMental
sshortcircuit - 2014-02-01 4:52 PM

Looking at the parts list there is a "left" support leg and a "right" support leg, no back no front. :-D

The orientation is looking at the motorhome, the back being the motorhome, the front being the canopy section that moves out, which then has a left and a right side.

Enough already:D I really am beyond caring.......but hope you get it sorted.

Goodness, is this thread STILL running, and we are still having misunderstandings about which leg it was ?? ( glad they don't work in the 'Amputations section' at the Hospital *-) )

As Mel said there are ONLY 2. and to all intents and purposes they are Identical (orientation is decided by which way the leg is riveted into the top hinge/bracket or 'new' plastic 'gimble'.). and 'does it matter' ?? The blokes awning Frame got twisted, he needs to get it back to JC's ASAP,

so that they can see where it failed. And he can get a 'New' Awning. Ray

As a friend of mine said to a 'Confused' Foreign driver, who INSISTED we (in the UK) should all drive on the RH side, like THEY do. ' The Left Side is the Right Side, The Right Side is the Wrong Side '

Confusion still reigned !

Archived