Stolen Motor Caravan

alf

• 2 weeks later...
gocro - 2014-02-09 8:57 AM

Because its parts are on e-bay or it is now the 'property' of the travelling community, who are inviolate to the police -f-o-r-c-e- service. Unless it falls into their hands the police are quite hopeless nowadays.

Mine was stolen last July and the police closed the case after a couple of weeks. I think that is quite reasonable because there was no evidence at the scene and, as they said, it will only be found if someone reports it being parked for too long or it is clocked on an ANPR. The insurers said that the chances of getting it back were close to nil.

I think Its a good enough reason to have a tracker fitted I know you wonder about paying the £180 for 5 years, but as insurers are going to offer much less than the proper valuation you can end up quids in, some people do say they wouldn't want it back , but I've read that the police have rang caravan owners asking if they know where their van is! and they didn't know it had been stolen from storage.

I hope your friends get a good price for their van Alf.

maggyd - 2014-02-09 2:10 PM

but as insurers are going to offer much less than the proper valuation you can end up quids in, some people do say they wouldn't want it back

What makes you assume that? I was insured throught the Caravan Club and was given exactly the market price and a very fair payment for contents.

Muswell - 2014-02-09 8:38 PM

maggyd - 2014-02-09 2:10 PM

but as insurers are going to offer much less than the proper valuation you can end up quids in, some people do say they wouldn't want it back

What makes you assume that? I was insured throught the Caravan Club and was given exactly the market price and a very fair payment for contents.

That's good to hear :-) I was assuming wrongly then.

• 2 months later...

Hi you may remember my post re my friends Romahome Dimension being stolen on 24th January this year yesterday I noted an identical one for sale on ebay even down to the missing double bed cushions / scratch on the fridge door and a slight bump on a rear panel after my friend has perused the ebay photos I've his certain it's his van only a few miles from where he lives in Greenwich reading the wording of the advert to me gives me the impression the seller is neither motor caravan near or dealer the Police have been informed ( which does not inspire me of much action ) it has a different reg number but that's not difficult to do with a PVC van is it

We will wait and see the outcome

Alf

alf - 2014-01-24 10:35 PM

Hi A friends 2005 Romahome Dimension was stolen last night I Greenwich the reg no is HT05UJE if anyone sees this or sees it for sale could they contact me or any local Police Station

Alf

He has informed the Police who only show slight interest I have asked him to notify the insurance who paid him out but I would imagine would still peruse the van ithe reg number in the advert is not shown as current on either the DVLA or AskMID data base

Alf

Strange this one. Looking at the photos, some are taken outside of the possible house it is being sold from, other photos are from another place, possibly a vehicle yard (when you zoom in). There is a new MOT running from January 2014 - similar time frame to that other one being stolen.

Could be just coincidences and a genuine sale but worth investigating.

DO PLEASE REPORT THIS TO THE INSURER ! - If they have settled your claim already do not think this will affect you in anyway - but they may be able to recover the vehicle and their costs so we all pay less premiums AND force the Police to take action against the toe rags that pinched the MH.

You may also like to flag this up with the "Insurance Fraud Bureau"

https://www.insurancefraudbureau.org/report/

It is easy to do - just go to the link and either ring in o a freephone number or click on Continue - to fill in an online form.

David security for any motor caravan is best not discussed on an open forum because then it's no security at all.

The current trend is to tow or place on a trailer and transfer to a breakdown truck then they disappear fast

Alf

duetto owner - 2014-05-05 9:00 AM

it always nice to know what security if any stolen motorhomes have, then if you have the same security its a warning time to upgrade or improve it.

Hi Alan yes very strange you can see an enclosed yard and a metal bodied pickup in one photo the centre cushions were left in my friends house if a genuine sale these would be passed on with the van,the fridge mark is pretty standard to any Dimension but the bump on the near side above the light unit is an exact match to the stolen one we will have to wait for the Plod to take interest, I did suggest a group of banners to turn up for a test drive. The area is a den of known travellers

Alf

AlanS - 2014-05-04 11:25 PM

Strange this one. Looking at the photos, some are taken outside of the possible house it is being sold from, other photos are from another place, possibly a vehicle yard (when you zoom in). There is a new MOT running from January 2014 - similar time frame to that other one being stolen.

Could be just coincidences and a genuine sale but worth investigating.

Make notes of all your contacts with the police and let them see that you are doing this.

They are now (not before time) being held responsible for their inaction as well as their action.

If this is as it seems - and the MH is indeed the one that was stolen then they should be able to check this and get the MH seized as stolen goods.

If they do nothing - then questions need to be ask.

I had a similar situation with a vintage motorcycle which was stolen. The thieves advertised it some months later and I went to the Police with details of some non standard nuts/bolts and a particular welded repair to the aluminium exhaust, plus the original logbook.

The police told me to go to the advertisers and sort it out myself.

So I told them that I was noting the police officers number and the dectectives name and it I got threatened by the thieves or was hit by them then all of the information plus their names advice and lack of action was going straight to the chief constable. They then changed their minds and recovered the motorcycle to the Police station. It took a while then to actually get it into my actual posession but I got it back and still have it now.

SO have no truck with the Police and even suggest that a National and local newspaper may be interested in their lack of action.

So off you go to the Police station tomorrow if you have not already done so, and ditto the insurance company. No excuses and let us all know how you get on.

mike

Spot on Mike

The toe rags pinch anything and because of Police inaction get away with it.

The REALLY sad thing about this Police inaction is that the Insurance companies do now make great effort to recover stolen vehicles - sometimes months and months later. So when someone buys a stolen vehicle in good faith - when the Insurance Company recovers it the new "owners" lose everything.

However - if you have a record of telling the Police and they do nothing - there is a good chance that the poor sods who lost their money can claim compensation. Insurance companies are getting well and truly hacked off with how the Police allow certain crimes to simply "happen". The Insurance Companies will be very grateful if you have chapter and verse on what you have tried to do.

They do not want to be seen as the "bad guys" taking away someones pride and joy because it turns out to have been stolen.

Of course - the other thing to do is NOT to buy anything without doing all the checks.

Archived