Help water in fuel filter

david1949

i have a Mk 7 Transit 2.2 duratorq Hymer motorhome i have information coming up on the dash telling me i have water in the fuel filter. Lifted the bonnet took cable of drain plug opened drain plug nothing came out i have looked at the top of the filter and no screws that i can open to let air in so water or fuel can run out the bottom . So some help needed please surely i don't have to take it to Ford just to drain water from the filter i looked through U Tube but could not find the answer to my problem

Mine is a 2.2 Transit as well. If the water light is on I would change the fuel filter or have it changed.

Only use a Ford filter and if you change it yourself do it quickly to prevent drain back and fill the filter with fuel. Do not allow air into the system.

The 2.2 is very fussy about fuel contamination, for the cost of a filter it is not worth cutting corners.

I assume you have checked the "filter minder" on the fuel filter housing?

H

Robinhood - 2014-01-27 9:45 PM

I assume you're following the attached instructions?

Have you unscrewed the sensor far enough?

I have done all that Robinhood but on water or fuel comes out that why i thought there would be a screw on top of the filter that i could open to let air in and water or fuel out.

Brambles - 2014-01-28 1:58 AM

On my ducato when fuel does not want to come out I undo the quick release connector for the fuel return pipe to the tank. maybe you can do something similar.

Please don't try this on a Transit! The Ducato has an in tank primary pump that pushes fuel up to the filter which will self bleed, the Transit doesn't and will NOT self bleed. Allowing air into a Transit fuel filter assembly is a recipe for a troublesome hour or two. You need a manual priming pump to do a Transit filter change. I've done enough of the damned things now that I can change one and bleed it in about 15 minutes...................usually :-) .

D.

As Dave said, do not let air into the system.

I will repeat what I said, if the fuel filter is wet it could mean trouble.

It might not be wet and just letting the water out will cure the light. However as I said, you do not take chances with the fuel system on a Transit. Any contamination of the fuel (including water) could result in pump, injector and other parts needing to be replaced. Cost about £2000. I speak from experience, I have had exactly that happen to mine.

Have a look here

http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=5&sid=680278a2a8c69f38163b2c0105f75117

Then do a search "water in fuel".

H

I have noticed that you have been on the Transit forum and asked. I can only echo the advice given there by "Ake"

Screw the bottom plug out of the oil filter and got about got about a small 1/2 glass of water oil out closed up plug and run engine but stopped after a short time can't get it to start now going to call the breakdown people out and get them to take it to Ford.

Dave Newell - 2014-01-28 7:37 AM

Please don't try this on a Transit! The Ducato has an in tank primary pump that pushes fuel up to the filter which will self bleed, the Transit doesn't and will NOT self bleed. Allowing air into a Transit fuel filter assembly is a recipe for a troublesome hour or two. You need a manual priming pump to do a Transit filter change. I've done enough of the damned things now that I can change one and bleed it in about 15 minutes...................usually :-) .

Does this also apply to the Fiat / Peugeot X250 vans with the 2.2 litre engine (I think that this is the same engine as the 2.2 litre Transit)?

Brambles it wasn't so much a "stupid idea" as just a bit misguided ;-). All Sevel (Fiat, Peugeot, Citroen) built vans since late 90s have a priming pump in tank and will self bleed. Transits do not. Brambles, yes I suppose a manual priming pump would enable you to clear the water out of the filter but I agree with the previous poster, if there's water in the fuel change the filter.

To the OP, your breakdown service should be capable of bleeding the system for you without recourse to a Ford agent.

D.

In 30th years of motor homing I have had Fiat and VW motorhomes and got water out of the fuel filter started the engine no problem but this Ford transit is a first for me it clearly won't self bleed itself. Its clearly is not what Henry Ford said in the beginning a car for the people my recovery is with Caravan Guard and the people they have just lift you and take you to the Ford garage. So because it at my home it going to cost me £i50 to get it to Ford + what they charge it is also due a service at £235 and it only has done 3000 miles from the last service . Come the end of September it,s due for a MOT more money I will have to start a look around for a good non Ford service dealer to see if I can bring down the cost brother

david1949 - 2014-01-28 4:19 PM

In 30th years of motor homing I have had Fiat and VW motorhomes and got water out of the fuel filter started the engine no problem but this Ford transit is a first for me it clearly won't self bleed itself. Its clearly is not what Henry Ford said in the beginning a car for the people my recovery is with Caravan Guard and the people they have just lift you and take you to the Ford garage. So because it at my home it going to cost me £i50 to get it to Ford + what they charge it is also due a service at £235 and it only has done 3000 miles from the last service . Come the end of September it,s due for a MOT more money I will have to start a look around for a good non Ford service dealer to see if I can bring down the cost brother

Why not call a mobile mechanic in, they should be able to replace the fuel filter and bleed it for a lot less than the £150 you reckon your recovery sevice will charge you. There are plenty of independent workshops capable of servicing your transit for a lot less than £235, and why do you assume the MOT is going to cost? other than the obvious charge for the test itself which is simply part of your regular running costs. Or did I miss something?

D.

Dave Newell - 2014-01-28 5:57 PM

david1949 - 2014-01-28 4:19 PM

Why not call a mobile mechanic in, they should be able to replace the fuel filter and bleed it for a lot less than the £150 you reckon your recovery sevice will charge you. There are plenty of independent workshops capable of servicing your transit for a lot less than £235, and why do you assume the MOT is going to cost? other than the obvious charge for the test itself which is simply part of your regular running costs. Or did I miss something?

D.

Thanks Dave Newell i never thought about a mobile mechanic i will look into that now as for the M O T i live in N Ireland and need the M O T done in September when over at my daughters in Cambridge it not the price of the M O T but all the stories you here about some gerages in the UK doing work that does not need to be done just to make more money on the M O T my daughter fell foul of this practice in Cambridge just 3 weeks ago. No dought the forun can help me fine a reputable M O T dealer when the time comes around

docted - 2014-01-28 11:01 PM

BT garages do not have an owner hanging over the mechanics to ensure they do unnecessary work and most of them will be able to do an mot. Info on where they are available on BT.com website.

Thank,s docted for your tip i have looked BT .com and see that they have a place in lincoln so i will keep that in mind for when i am over September and i have also passed it on to my daughter as well

Archived