6 berth under 3.5T ?

Caroline

Roller Team and some of the other entry level vans do 6 berth with a 500kg payload but if seriously going to carry 6 you couldn't afford to add any extras and would need to keep to the most basic models to stand any chance of keeping weight legal. Although small children may not weigh much it's all the additional clutter that mounts up.

Caroline

There are actually quite a few. I'm not going to list them as it's a lot simpler for you to refer to the Buyers Guide towards the rear of MMM magazine.

As has already been warned, even though some sub-3500kg designs can sleep six, there may be little or no payload left once the vehicle is loaded up.

It's also fairly common for the number of berths to exceed the number of seats fitted with safety-belts. This mismatch should be evident from the MMM Buyers' Guide entries.

I think if you read the "Spec" for most motorhomes you will find were it states the number of berths, it really means "Camping" for 3/4/5/6 people and not travelling for that number of passengers. I know a lot of these motorhomes have seat belts for that higher number of passengers but the payload is so low you could not even carry a tin of beans in it.

Buyer beware, that's what I would say]

Brian Kirby - 2014-01-29 4:45 PM

If the six occupants are weighed, and their weights added to gether and subtracted from the declared payload, it will give an idea what is left to carry everything else.

I think that that oversimplifies the issue because it assumes that the weight of the occupants would be evenly distributed around the van.

Most 6 berth vans that I have come across seat the 4 extra passengers in the dinette area directly behind the driver.

There is very little chance that they could be carried there without overloading the front axle or indeed the front o/s suspension and tyre.

Steve928 - 2014-01-29 4:58 PM

If the six occupants are weighed, and their weights added to gether and subtracted from the declared payload, it will give an idea what is left to carry everything else.

I think that that oversimplifies the issue because it assumes that the weight of the occupants would be evenly distributed around the van.

Most 6 berth vans that I have come across seat the 4 extra passengers in the dinette area directly behind the driver.

There is very little chance that they could be carried there without overloading the front axle or indeed the front o/s suspension and tyre.

Agreed, but it was only intended as a "quick and dirty" check - to illustrate that the requirement is, to all intents and purposes, not practically achievable.

If the six occupants are weighed, and their weights added to gether and subtracted from the declared payload, it will give an idea what is left to carry everything else. The answer will be very little, and may even be negative - unless it is two svelte adults with 18 month old quads!

Brian

I think they would be svelte mif they had 18 moths quads! BUT would you get child seats in.

That is something to consider if carry ing children (i think they have to be in seats/booster) up to the age of 10) But not having any that come in that catagorie I don't know.

I guess their kicence will not allow a larger van?

PJay

I hardly dare post here.

We have a 6 berth Burstner A645 and 4 children. The payload is not large but if you are sensible it is very do-able. We are always conscious how much water weighs and try to travel with enough for the journey and not much more - like many mh owners. Everyone is limited to a small drawer of clothing, a waterproof and essential shoes - one of the lovely things about being in the van is not having too much of everyone's clutter . We don't carry huge amounts of tinned/spare food, preferring to eat fresh and local. We empty the grey water/ loo before leaving a campsite - we just do the usual housekeeping things to help fuel ecomony.

Fortunately we seem to make thin children - must be the bread and water diet and all those mountains they have to climb.

Yes, six in on a wet day is a challenge for any family, but we love it and get the children away from all those ghastly possesions that don't need to come with us. What needs loads of kit when they can play with each other?

Charabanc - 2014-01-29 9:51 PM

I hardly dare post here.

We have a 6 berth Burstner A645 and 4 children. The payload is not large but if you are sensible it is very do-able. We are always conscious how much water weighs and try to travel with enough for the journey and not much more - like many mh owners. Everyone is limited to a small drawer of clothing, a waterproof and essential shoes - one of the lovely things about being in the van is not having too much of everyone's clutter . We don't carry huge amounts of tinned/spare food, preferring to eat fresh and local. We empty the grey water/ loo before leaving a campsite - we just do the usual housekeeping things to help fuel ecomony.

Fortunately we seem to make thin children - must be the bread and water diet and all those mountains they have to climb.

Yes, six in on a wet day is a challenge for any family, but we love it and get the children away from all those ghastly possesions that don't need to come with us. What needs loads of kit when they can play with each other?

Much respect to you Charabanc.

Did you stop at 4 cos there aren't any 7 berth MH's (as far as I know, expect to be corrected). :-D

We ran out of hands and decided to quit while the going was good, much to relief of mother in law.

Incidentally, number 4 made his first MH trip aged 12 days to Kangaroo Island, South Australia. Having babies didn't cramp our style, though I am very glad not to have pushchairs, car seats etc now. Such a pity lots of people leave MHing until the family leaves home - they mss a lot of fun.

Thanks Judgemental, just don't show mil.

OP, tell your colleague to get on and do it!

I hardly dare post here.

As a matter if interest (and to complete the picture), what payload are you left with after you and your children are deducted?

I hardly dare post here.

Good post Charabanc. As everyone has pointed out you do indeed need to be careful, the OP has not given any details regarding his "typical" occupants. I have a 6 berth with 6 belted seats for travelling, but it has never been 6 adults or teenagers, when we are "6 up" it is usually myself and wife, 2 grandaughters (3 and 8) and niece and nephew (both 9), we pack light so being generous say the 4 are 100Kg with 30kg luggage, that leaves a modest payload.

Obviously this is travelling light, for full on touring I'd agree it looks very unlikely.

Archived