6 berth under 3.5T ?

Caroline

Sorry for delay in replying, I had to weigh some offspring!

This is an interesting exercise, the proof of which would be on a weighbridge. However, my calculations leave 245kg after passengers are deducted, 75kg having been allowed for the driver already.

I can easily take up much of that with awning, gas bottle (we carry one), bike rack, telly, folding chairs + table, fire extinguisher, flushing fluid, fridge contents, food, cutlery plates and cooking stuff, bedding + towels, mallet + pegs, jack + basic tools, books, maps guides etc, cleaning stuff, bucket etc camera, ipad/ipod and a few bathroom items - fortunately one tube of toothpaste and a bottle of shower gel does all of us, even my fussy daughter, though I do pack one (manual) toothbrush each, you will be delighted to know.

I am left with 58kg for clothes. Not a lot, but we are camping and I find that the more clothes you take, the more washing there is to do at the end, which helps for light packing.

Perhaps Derek can assist, but I understand that my payload was calculated with 90% of a tank of water, ie 108L. I don't think we have ever filled it up - I wouldn't feel happy using all that much water over a long time and would rather have 30- 50L fresh more often- and we try not to travel with even that much. I admit to carrying less water to offset my family!

Much like Sean, we also find that our young peoples' busy lives actually mean that they cannot always all join us. One fewer will mean we can take a bike or two. This half term my large 17 year old (69kg) stays at home to feed the cat and look after his Grannie, so we will have more elbow room and payload.

I will now put on my hard hat...!

Guest JudgeMental
visit a weighbridge loaded for a holiday with all the sprogs...its your axles that count, as well as the all up weight..but axles usually reach max before you reach all up weight. and with six on board and if water tank up front, my main concern would be front axle. Fiat are not that generous with axle capacity

Charabanc - 2014-01-31 8:53 PM

Sorry for delay in replying, I had to weigh some offspring!

This is an interesting exercise, the proof of which would be on a weighbridge. However, my calculations leave 245kg after passengers are deducted, 75kg having been allowed for the driver already.

Starting payload apparently 570 - 580kg, which is very good for a nominal 6 berth van. Leaves you with 325kg for all the food, liquids, clothes and clutter. Not too bad!

I can easily take up much of that with awning, gas bottle (we carry one), bike rack, telly, folding chairs + table, fire extinguisher, flushing fluid, fridge contents, food, cutlery plates and cooking stuff, bedding + towels, mallet + pegs, jack + basic tools, books, maps guides etc, cleaning stuff, bucket etc camera, ipad/ipod and a few bathroom items - fortunately one tube of toothpaste and a bottle of shower gel does all of us, even my fussy daughter, though I do pack one (manual) toothbrush each, you will be delighted to know.

I am left with 58kg for clothes. Not a lot, but we are camping and I find that the more clothes you take, the more washing there is to do at the end, which helps for light packing.

Perhaps Derek can assist, but I understand that my payload was calculated with 90% of a tank of water, ie 108L. I don't think we have ever filled it up - I wouldn't feel happy using all that much water over a long time and would rather have 30- 50L fresh more often- and we try not to travel with even that much. I admit to carrying less water to offset my family!

Much like Sean, we also find that our young peoples' busy lives actually mean that they cannot always all join us. One fewer will mean we can take a bike or two. This half term my large 17 year old (69kg) stays at home to feed the cat and look after his Grannie, so we will have more elbow room and payload.

I will now put on my hard hat...!

AFAIK, the Burstner catalogue payload would have been calculated with fuel and water tanks at 90% capacity, and I believe one German 11kg aluminium gas cylinder. If you are using UK 13kg steel, be aware they are about 28kg when full, against the German cylinder at 17kg.

You illustrate my point very well. You have found a van that is light for a six berth, so giving a good payload, but even so you have to manage the load carefully to make it work. If the OP ends up with a heavier van at the outset he will struggle. That is all I was getting at, he needs to choose very carefully, with the mass in runing order high up his priority list. There are still a few used A645s around, though! :-)

Thank you, Brian, this is pretty much the way we look at it. My calculations assumed a payload of 520kg without taking account of water/fuel. I had put in 30kg for gas - lovely to have 2kg spare!

We think our van fits our needs well and would recommend it. Motorhome manufacturers don't seem to see families - particularly larger ones - as much of a market, but the continentals get closer to what is practical.

I can't believe how many manufacturers still make vans with more beds than travelling seats - for us we had the view that provided we could always all travel safely, we could put one or two in a tent if necessary. All vans are a compromise of wish list and availability, but if you want a 6 berth under 3.5T Burstner A645 does it very well.

Someone will have other ideas. There must be some Chausson owners out there.

Guest JudgeMental
But there are a good few vans around that will seat 6 but not have beds for all. as my kids grew they were always far happier in a tent..and with the advent of decent pop up tents its a breeze

Guest JudgeMental
Charabanc - 2014-02-01 3:55 PM

A van with 6 seats and belts but not beds for all? Apparently not when we were looking... Do tell and I will look them up.

I think OP wanted the berths so this is slightly off the point.

plenty of vans with conventional 4 seater lounges (not all have belts mind) and 2 up front makes seating for 6. two on this page (if link works:-S): http://www.euramobil.de/terrestra_a_grundrisse.html?&L=1&L=1

Archived