My first motorhome

Mac1

Hi Mac1...

Our previous van was an '07 Compass version( a 120), it appeared neat enough but I'd steer well clear.....

They are very "budget", not only that, they are constructed using "old fashioned" methods...and not to a very high standard either...

Read this thread:

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/ELDDIS-AUTOQUEST-2010-ALLOY-CORROSION-AND-WOOD-ROT/33446/

:-S

Hi Malcolm,

That's a pretty confident approach 'looking for your first motorhome' and straight in with the title too, well done. We assume you've looked and done your homework and, possibly have friends who use them or you've been a caravan user and are already attuned to a nomadic way of life. Good for you, that's what I call a forthright start to a post.

There will be many Autoquest users on here willing to supply advise, however this is not a familiar vehicle to me apart from the occasional outside viewing at shows.

Guest JudgeMental
If you really want opinion and ideas from others on here best to give an idea of budget and what sort of year camper you're after....Must say your choice pretty unimpressive to be honest...

Bought a new elddis autoquest 120 in 2009 and traded it in for what I paid for it in late 2011

for a 155 fixed bed at a very good price.

Only problem with the 120 was the gas regulator, no problems with the 155.

No mechanical problems with either, the 120 was quite agile and similar size to the 100.

Vital to check habitation services have been done and 5 year water ingress warranty is valid.

Electric blown air heating and electric step desirable.

Good luck

As has already been mentioned -

These Elddis vans use very 'old school' build techniques.

I'll assume you have been taking a good look around at what else is available?

However, if your heart is set on this type of van, take a very careful look around and behind the side skirts and make a thorough inspection of the floor - externally that is.

Get a proper damp check, again including the underside before you part with any money.

Guest pelmetman
Mac1 - 2014-01-31 9:26 PM

Hi thanks for your advice i will prpbably be looking for another van budget &25,000

Older and higher spec A class with that kinda money ;-)............

Our 1st motorhome was a Compass Suntor 115 which we bought in Dec 2006 on the Peugeot x250  an entry level motorhome we thought it was great , basic , but functional. After 2 years we traded it on for swift built Ace Airstream 680 FB ( not a good buy ) we then moved on to an Autosleeper Nuevo II EK well built and of sound construction an all round good quality vehicle , with just under 20,000 miles on the clock inside 2 years we thought it time to move on before the mileage became silly. Our current motorhome is an Autotrail Tracker RS which I feel is another well constructed and well built motorhome . There are members of this forum who would not entertain any UK built motorhomes , I would like an A class Hymer , but cannot afford one at the moment. There are many many different models to choose from  so take your time to decide which one will suit your needs and then enjoy the motorhoming expierence.

It's worth bearing in mind, that although the Elldis Autoquest range are considered to be budget vans, Elldis changed their construction method in the last 2 to 3 years which eliminated almost all of the external screw fixings. So a 2011 model may or may not use their new SoLiD construction method.

flicka - 2014-01-31 11:27 PM

It's worth bearing in mind, that although the Elldis Autoquest range are considered to be budget vans, Elldis changed their construction method in the last 2 to 3 years which eliminated almost all of the external screw fixings. So a 2011 model may or may not use their new SoLiD construction method.

That's true Flicka...but if this new design has only come out of the same drawing office or has been signed off by the same managers that thought the previous model's build methods were acceptable..then I'd still stay well clear....

Especially if it's still being put together by the same people who staple-gunned//nailed ours together..:-S

Nothing "went wrong" with ours(..as in "failed to work")but the stuff that'll go wrong is only generic Truma, Dometic anyway..

The problems lay behind the scenes, with the rough ar*ed way in which it was put together....

We had rough sawn,knotty bed laths,just stapled together, we had rats' nests of water pipes and cables chaffing on rough cupboard carcasses..untreated, bare edged timbers showing underneath,a very poor,lumpy roof seam(which I am sure would have led to problems by now)...and the corrosion spots showing through the panles(at 3 years old)that are discussed in that linked thread ...I could go on......

And no matter which model the OP looks at, I certainly wouldn't be swayed by such superfluous trinkets, as electric steps..? :-S

The more experienced I've become as a motorhomer, the less I've been attracted to budget brands. There are reasons why they are cheap.

Unless I needed the drop down bed, I wouldn't go for an A-class which is likely to be about 8 or more years old if bought for £25k from a dealer. I'd look at Auto-Sleeper coachbulits or van conversions.

Archived