Internet via Satellite

crbtaylor

Has anyone any experience of using the internet via a roof mounted satellite, reliability , access and coverage. We spend more time abroad but internet access is essential to us. Increasingly we are finding free wifi too slow and unreliable and even experience the same problem on paid for wifi. I have a roaming data bundle on 3G but the allowance is soon eaten up.

Guest Had Enough

There's one drawback with satellite transmission, line of sight! I'm currently on my way back from Morocco and am on a site in central Spain. In theory I should be able to get a good TV signal but there's a big tree in just the wrong place. I can't be bothered moving as the site has great wi-fi and I can get my news from that.

3G data cards have no line of sight problems. If you're not worried too much about the cost you can buy Europe-wide or even global sim cards, which will save you the hassle of sourcing a new one every time you cross a border.

In Morocco I bought an unlimited data dongle for one month for only £15 and two years ago did the same in Croatia for £20.00.

You could buy a phone sim and tether other devices, such as laptops or tablets, thus you get the best of both worlds, calls and data.

Had Enough - 2014-02-01 3:56 PM

There's one drawback with satellite transmission, line of sight! I'm currently on my way back from Morocco and am on a site in central Spain. In theory I should be able to get a good TV signal but there's a big tree in just the wrong place. I can't be bothered moving as the site has great wi-fi and I can get my news from that.

3G data cards have no line of sight problems. If you're not worried too much about the cost you can buy Europe-wide or even global sim cards, which will save you the hassle of sourcing a new one every time you cross a border.

In Morocco I bought an unlimited data dongle for one month for only £15 and two years ago did the same in Croatia for £20.00.

You could buy a phone sim and tether other devices, such as laptops or tablets, thus you get the best of both worlds, calls and data.

Any advice on source and cost of Europe wide data sim ?

Guest Had Enough
crbtaylor - 2014-02-01 5:33 PM

Had Enough - 2014-02-01 3:56 PM

Any advice on source and cost of Europe wide data sim ?

Google is your friend! Just type in Europe-wide sim or Europe-wide data sim. You'll get lots of choices.

Individual-country dongles may still be cheaper but only you can judge the convenience cost re advantage of not having to source six different sims.

Archived