Dogs on cross-channel ferries

Nikko

We'd thought of taking our 'van and dog to Germany but then found he'd have to stay in the 'van on his own for the whole ferry crossing (Dover to Calais or Dunkirk - no tunnel, please, although we know we could stay together on the tunnel train). Have any readers taken their dogs on the ferries and what were their experiences? Was the dog very upset and problematic after the trip or did they take it in their stride?

Hi Nikko - welcome to the madhouse! :D

It depends on the dog and how happy it is on it's own and how it reacts to noise etc. We have taken several dogs abroad over the years and most were fine in the van, however one of ours, Lily, was badly frightened on a ferry once and now is petrified of them and other things too as a consequence, so now we use the chunnel (using Tesco vouchers makes it cheap!).

If you have a small dog you could 'unofficially' put it in a pet carrier that looks like a normal holdall (see below) and take it up with you, then just find a nice quiet place to sit out of the way. This will only work though if your dog will stay in the carrier and be quiet during the journey as you won't be able to take it out.

We did this on our crossings to Ireland last year (3 hour crossings) and it worked fine.

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/pets-accessories/pets-at-home-soft-fabric-carrier/1685745/

Hi Nikko

We don't wish to be critical but we are a little bit concerned about your posting. We have always had dogs and cannot imagine life without one. Our present small border terrier travels everywhere with us on the continent and we always travel by ferry. Do you normally leave your dog at home for two or three hours? Do you leave your dog in the car for an hour or so whilst shopping? If your dog is trained for this, he will quite comfortably travel wherever you want to go. We, at one time, put our dog in a cage with its toys in our camper but found this was not really necessary as she prefers to sit on my seat when I'm not there (second in line of pecking order in her eyes). If the answer is positive and your dog is trained you won't have any trouble, otherwise we would not suggest you take it on a holiday in a campervan because it will cause you and the dog distress.

A number of years ago, at a supermarket in Italy, we found a woman wandering around our van which, due to security we were rather concerned about. We had the front sun blind up so the dog could sit on my seat. The woman said the dog did not have sufficient ventilation as no windows were open. All the roof vents were open which she could not see and did not understand a campervan is insulated and the dog was quite cool (more cool than us talking outside in the sun).

Mel, I follow your postings with interest and agree with most of them. I've even filled in your prostrate cancer form, but can't agree with smuggling a dog on board in a carrier. Your are an experienced dog owner and know that dogs will be perfectly alright if trained.

Nikko, hope this posting is of some help, we suspect you are worrying too much.

Dog owners unite :->

Alan

Hi there, as has been said, dont worry, our three are fine on the ferries, even on the plymouth roskoff 6 hour crossing. The only time they worried was on the tunnel, when our collie cross couldn't understand why the van was moving but no one was driving, he paced up and down the van all the journey, it saved having to walk him far when we stopped ! just make sure they have plenty of water to drink, we leave a spill proof bowl down all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to the four responders to my query. Our dog is a youngish small collie-cross (spitz?) rescue. We've had him since November and are still getting him used to "dos and don'ts", like don't quietly chew curtains or dog-beds when we're not watching, so at present it isn't wise to leave him alone to run around the motorhome! At home he has a crate and goes in there of his own accord when he wants some quiet time, and we would definitely put him in there for the crossings as he sees it as a safe place. He is left for 2-3 hours when we go shopping, to the theatre, etc and we have no problems with this - when he's told 'go to bed' he walks into the crate of his own accord and there's no barking or whining, and no damage to the bedding in the crate.

The main 'problem' is my wife, who is very worried about his reaction to noises like car alarms and the ship's motion. Your general assurances will, hopefully, put her mind at rest, and I thank you all for these.

If you ever use Brittany Ferries they will allow you a supervised visit to your van during the trip, and even give you a few minutes on the lead to stretch their legs.

This is always a pre-determined time - ask at the reception desk. Whilst our dog can be a bit 'twitchy' with noises, he doesn't seem to have a problem, in fact when I go down for a visit he seems a bit peeved that I've woken him up!

Obviously this doesn't apply to the fast cat crossings.....oh and a nice long walk prior to embarking helps!

morning folks,

Our dog has travelled many times with us to the continent on the the ferries to the point that he has now gota new passport.

It was not until last year when the crossing was abit choppy that I realised that car alarms were going off so we are going on the tunnel next.

norm

This probably won't set your mind at ease - but I'll mention it anyway.

Some years ago we went in our car by Ferry and when we were loaded a Crew member noticed we had a tyre that was going down and needed replacing before we disembarked.

We had to unload the boot to get at the spare wheel and by the time I'd started to change the wheel the Ferry had left the Harbour and was out in the Channel.

As soon as the Ferry hit the first waves there was a bl**dy great cacophony of car alarms setting off and making an almighty din.

The noise was terrible and luckily I managed to change the wheel in a few minutes and go up on deck.

I'd never realised how the alarms could reverberate around a reasonably small space and I certainly wouldn't fancy travelling far below decks on a Ferry with that amount of noise for all the journey.

Normally you don't hear the noise because we're only allowed down to the car deck when we're in harbour.

If the dog is used to noise and being left alone then they should be fine but after experiencing the racket on the car deck we have only used Eurotunnel when taking our dog.

In my humble opinion :-D it would be less stressful for YOU to use the tunnel than for your dog to be left on its own in the van with the noise of the ferries engines and the bumping up and down that can happen.!

On a Fast Cat to Ireland with my first chihuahua I did as Mel did and put it in my basket he didnt bother anyone and a lady that was sat outside with her Collie was ushered into the lounge by a steward! on the return trip he refused to get out and hid under the seat so I left him there!! I didn't enjoy the trip because I was worried all the time.

My Son went over to France with his dog he left in his caravan 8-) when they returned he had shredded anything protected in polythene :-S now that IS stress and his dog is a large terrier. He now goes by the tunnel no problem off in 30 mins at the outside, we love it and have made about 10 trips now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
alan - 2014-02-01 8:05 PM

Mel, I follow your postings with interest and agree with most of them. I've even filled in your prostrate cancer form, but can't agree with smuggling a dog on board in a carrier. Your are an experienced dog owner and know that dogs will be perfectly alright if trained.

Well our Lily was fine in the MH until a bad crossing when our MH was on the front of an upper deck open to the elements/lights/external and internal noise - it must have been awful as she was absolutely petrified when we got back to her. She now quivvers at the sight of anything that reminds he of a ferry - even going over flyovers, bridges, into road tunnels etc, frightens her and despite our trying, we've never been able to comfort her to make her stop, so now we cannot leaving her in the MH on a ferry. I'd rather 'smuggle' her up with me in a suitable carrier where she will settle down and not cause any problems for anyone else as they don't know she's there, than return to a dog who is distraught ... having had a dog in the past that got so stressed she then had strokes there's no way I'd risk it with another. :-|

lazarus - 2014-04-16 4:39 PM

Go to your vets get some chill pills (sedatives,can't remember the proper word for them )throw a couple down its neck just before boarding happy days!

... and end up with a dog looking zonked out but fighting them so the worst of both worlds! 8-) Been there, got the doggy t-shirt ... not doing it again! :-|

What is the problem with taking a dog up on deck?? you get yobs being sick and being roudy our dogs are trained! well behaved !wont vomit! all over the place, will sit quietly beside you or lay in a carrier its red tape again and for one I wont use the ferries! when I took my first chihuahua over to Ireland I DIDNT smuggle him I carried him in full view in my basket on the way over and would have done the same on the return journey but I couldnt get him out from under the seat he was terrified of the noise :-S I had to leave him but asked the staff to check on him :-S which they said they did, but I would never do it again ! its the tunnel when we go to France or nothing.

Archived