What a bargain at Waitrose!!!

Mel B

We went to a local shopping centre today as we had to pay a cheque into a bank there, so popped into Waitrose nearby. We don't usually bother going in as it is expensive but we thought we'd have a shuftie for a change. Whilst pottering around we found a load of draught Guinness (12 x 440ml) had for some reason been reduced ... to £6.99 a case! Hubby stuck 8 cases in the trolley and we got some cheese too which had been reduced drastically too - 750g packs of mild cheddar (own brand) was over £5 to £1.79 a pack (not out of date for 2 days yet), no idea why, but we weren't arguing!

Whilst we were pottering I noticed a sign about signing up for a 'My Waitrose' card so I thought I'd investigate. If you register for it - you can get one each - you are entitled to:

* a free tea or coffee each day up to the larger 'regular' size, ie not just the smallest one (but not the hot chocolate) - we had some lovely lattes which would have normally cost £2.10 each

* Spend £5+ and you also get a free newspaper - we chose the weekend Daily Telegraph, usual price £2.00 on a weekend

* Getting off 10% off some products - this is on their own products and which ones are included is detailed on their shelf labels

* plus entry in to competitions to win your grocery shopping costs back

* and special offers (some VERY cheap holidays!)

We also got vouchers for "£5 off a £30 spend" (1 each) - this was valid until today though so I think this was just a special offer for the beginning of the year.

So, as we spent over £60 we got £10 off, 2 x free lovely coffees, a free newspaper, very cheap Guinness and extremely cheap cheese! Not bad really!

mywaitrose card

Its worth it even if you only want the free drinks and maybe a free paper by spending just £5!

Guest Had Enough
Remind me never to visit a supermarket with you. It's the nearest thing to going shopping with my accountant that I can think of. ;-)

Had Enough - 2014-02-01 3:43 PM

Remind me never to visit a supermarket with you. It's the nearest thing to going shopping with my accountant that I can think of. ;-)

Well not all of us are rich posh gits so need to get savings where we can! :D ;-)

It's a misconception Mel Waitrose are not expensive if you shop sensibly I'm barred by her indoors because I like nearly all their food and wines. Try their hot+ buns 6 for £1.00 there some of the best I've tasted and their croussons (think I've spelt that wrong but you know what I mean) 8 for £2.40 and delicious. John

teflon2 - 2014-02-01 6:45 PM

It's a misconception Mel Waitrose are not expensive if you shop sensibly I'm barred by her indoors because I like nearly all their food and wines. Try their hot+ buns 6 for £1.00 there some of the best I've tasted and their croussons (think I've spelt that wrong but you know what I mean) 8 for £2.40 and delicious. John

Maybe they aren't expensive where you are but here they are much more expensive than any of the other supermarkets, even for their own brand 'cheaper' stuff. For example, we got a nice joint of beef from Tesco for £9 a kilo (we don't do it very often but had a voucher to use against it so thought we'd have a treat), but for the same thing at Waitrose it was over £11 a kilo ... :-S

The only reason we normally go in is to see if they have any offers on, or reduced stuff, but on this occasion we hit the jackpot especially with the free drinks so will certainly 'pop in' there next time we're passing! Now I know why every time we have gone in it is full of loads of old dears supping in the cafe! :D

As with your post on another thread, just let Mel and Brian go and do the hard work, then we can sit back with our feet up and reap the rewards :D

We've been doing this for ages. In our case we subscribe to the telegraph so by the time we've handed in the token we save even more money.

I have to confess that despite the fact that we are indeed as they say loaded we take things to the extreme. We buy our meat from the local butcher in bulk simply because of the quality but with everything else we play the supermarkets at their own game buying food that we regularly eat in bulk when they have a genuine offer on if the best buy dates permit. Only today we came out of Tesco with 25 packets of the wife's breakfast cerial with a use buy date running into 2015! They had to go and get some for us as there was not enough on the shelf. We are fortunate that we have a huge walk in larder that used to be my commercial darkroom making it possible to store the food and the money to buy it but the savings to be made doing this are considerable.

I do feel a little guilty knowing that those who could most do with the savings simply can't do this because of of storage space and ready funds plus the fact that they may have to rely on public transport. We do have a list off the chap next door,who is house bound, needs and bring goods home for him when we spot them as well.

Mel b don't forget you can freeze cheese ,I buy it when I see it on offer and stick it in freezer it's fine :pp I used to freeze it and then if I went out in van would put in fridge and take it with us used to make for a very cheap cheeseboard :)

Daves right nip over the fence and raid the skips,waitrose dont mind,many years ago a supermarket opened a new shop in my mums town,they had the grand opening sat but closed sunday,we were in the pub and these lads came in and said anyone want any shopping for free,i couldnt believe what they had recovered from the skip,whole blocks of cheese,milk bread large packs of bacon,all perfectly edible,for a month after everywhere you went people were trying to give you cheese,also a newsagents shop closed down and we reclaimed a bin liner of large bars of cadburys fruit n nut,plus loads of new books,,you would not believe what these shops throw away.Having been poor enough to need to do this at the timd i now always give food to the food bank when they collect at the local shops

And we all know how boring accountants are, don't we. :D

Archived