halogen heaters

Piglet

We've just upgraded to an IH SAvannah motorhome ( Previously owned a Compass Avantgarde and a VWT4...this is our ideal 'happy medium.) and are thinking about buying a halogen heater from a motorhome goods supplier. We'd like to save on gas for our heating when we are hooked up on a campsite. Does anyone have experience of these - are they effective and do they work properly ?

I am not convinced that using a halogen heater in the confines of a motorhome is a good idea, the only ones I've seen have no thermostat to control the room temperature.

We have used, oil filled, convection, and fan heaters. Our preferred one is oil filled.

I bought a cheap Halogen heater - at £8.00 from Trago Mills it was worth a punt!

Tried it out in the van, and although it seemed very efficient, I was not comfortable with the prospect of leaving it on - even whilst in attendance 8-)

I think oil filled radiator is the best option, especially if you intend to leave it on overnight.

Mind you, it can't be any more lethal than the heater I had on an old van conversion - Basically an under-slung gas burner with a grille in the floor between the seats - I could just imagine falling asleep while the corner of your sleeping bag combusted, would be a bit like being in one of those oven roasting bags!

We take a halogen heater with us which we use occasionally. Works quite well, but certainly wouldn't leave it on all night. We always leave clear space in front of it.

It switches off automatically if knocked over.

Oil fired is certainly safer - we use one permanently in the van while it is ' stored ' on the drive over winter - but it's a bit heavy/ bulky for carting around.

Just my 2d worth.  Halogen heaters are not particularly a good idea in a MH for the reasons already given.  In addition 'if' you should try one remember they give off a lot of light so no good (safety aspect aside)for leaving on over night. 

We found a 1-2kw fan heater (about £12.00 off fleabay) for instant warming followed by a non oil filled radiator for maintaining/overnight warmth to be the best combination/option.  Argos do one it's the Dimplex Chico for £54.99.  It's 0.7kw so no problems with tripping the power supply.

Agree, not too keen on Halogens, if only because of the intense light they throw out, We have an Oil filled radiator (as many others here). Did have fan heater, but the starting up and shutting off used to wake me up, so we think either an Oil filled radiator( they make hardly any noise at all) or a Convector heater. Aldi have some very cheap at the moment, 1.5 kw Oil filled radiator £26.99 , free standing 1.5 kw Convector £19.99. Both have a 2 year guarantee. Not suitable for Low amperage foreign power supplies of course. Ray

The 'Aldi' oil filled radiator is a very compact size, ideal for carrying with you.

Thank you all for this wealth of advice - I'm amazed and impressed with this website's members ! I will now scrap my plan to buy a halogen heater and look at the oil-filled radiator which several of you have suggested. I hadn't seen any of those on camping supply websites but maybe I just wasn't looking properly because I was fixated on the halogen heater idea.

I hadn't thought to keep the heater on all night but now the idea has been sown in my mind.........!!

Thank you again for your kind attention to a new member.

Piglet - 2014-02-03 10:19 PMThank you all for this wealth of advice - I'm amazed and impressed with this website's members ! I will now scrap my plan to buy a halogen heater and look at the oil-filled radiator which several of you have suggested. I hadn't seen any of those on camping supply websites but maybe I just wasn't looking properly because I was fixated on the halogen heater idea.I hadn't thought to keep the heater on all night but now the idea has been sown in my mind.........!!Thank you again for your kind attention to a new member.

At the risk of sounding alarmist........there have been (very few but still some)reports of oil filled rads catching fire.  Oil and fire is not a good mix.  The one I mentioned above, Dimplex Chico is oil free so will not spew burning oil all over the place should the worst occur.  It's more expensive than other 'oil' filled ones but has the obvious safety advantage and is small enough to store in the MH.  Ours sits nicely in the bottom of the wardrobe taking up very little space.

• 2 weeks later...

We had an oil filled heater and one day I went to move it in the motorhome to do a job and after about ten mins or so it started to melt at one end.........now, I had picked it up by one end so maybe that had some thing to do with it melting. Thankfully I had stayed in the motorhome so I noticed it happening so threw it away. I am wondering if it was the way I had picked it up while it was on or do any one have any idea's. It was the switch part on top that was melting so I suppose it might have had a fault.

I like the idea of an oil filled heater although I use a fan heater on a frost setting.

ref. the Oil Filled Radiators on sale at Aldi (£26.99), They have 3 power settings, 600w/900w'1500w so they would be OK on low amperage Supply sites on the lower settings.

As for safety, They are rated as the SAFEST form of portable Heating appliance. They have an overtemperature fusable link, knockover switches, and thermostatic controls. When they fail, they fail Safe.

http://www.air-n-water.com/heater_safe.htm

Ray

We use a small halogen heater when necessary mainly because it is light weight and low wattage. It works well but we never leave it on overnight. However, as it heats up so quickly you can 'nip' out on a cold morning switch it on, and crawl back under the covers for 10 minutes.

However, am i not mistaking in understanding that all expensive motorhomes have full central heating systems from Truma etc?? Now surely you are not telling me that the price of a cylinder of gas is too much after buying such a 'beastie'???

Electric heat sources are virtually 100% efficient, all the power is transformed to heat energy. It could be argued that the light of a halogen heater is wasted as it doesn't contribute to the heating of the van.

It is almost certain that oil filled radiators are the safest form of stand alone heating in a motorhome.

Dave225 - 2014-02-14 8:37 PM

However, am i not mistaking in understanding that all expensive motorhomes have full central heating systems from Truma etc?? Now surely you are not telling me that the price of a cylinder of gas is too much after buying such a 'beastie'???

No the light click of a thermostat on a oil rad is a hell of a lot quieter than a Truma spooling up in middle of the night. :D

colin - 2014-02-14 9:34 PM

Dave225 - 2014-02-14 8:37 PM

No the light click of a thermostat on a oil rad is a hell of a lot quieter than a Truma spooling up in middle of the night. :D

Ah, but the Truma will push warm air just beside the bed and in the loo as well, not just at the other end. So all that trunking and box unit is going to waste??? Personally I head for the sun and eliminate the problem.

My experience of my Truma 'Combi 4' is not very encouraging, VERY noisy when starting up (like a 747 engine starting) not to be trusted, have woken up with the van freezing cold on many a winters night, with a Red light glowing on the heating control......reset, works fine again for a few hours then red light again. been looked at several times.... NFF (no fault found). Give me a reliable Oil Filled Radiator every time, and it's NOTHING to do with cost.

I Miss my Eberspacher system I had in my previous van. An Autocruise. That at least allowed me to camp off of EHU. with confidence. Ray

Archived