Compact motorhome test

Lucie Cranfield

Hello All,

The team at Which Motorhome set out to find the best compact motorhome on the market. This type of motorhome is all the rage at the moment as they are more economical, easier to drive and can easily be parked in the supermarket. The cleverest six-metre coachbuilts come with a drop-down bed over the lounge,which can be ready in an instant.

8 'vans were tested from Burstner, Rapido, Bailey, Adria, Chausson, Pilote and Roller Team with only one winner.

Discover who won in the March issue of Which Motorhome, on-sale on 13th February. You can order this now and get it delivered directly to your door, just click here - http://warners.gr/1bZvvhb

Thanks,

Lucie

:-D

Lucie, for a small fee I could have let you test my sub 6m Hymer B-Class 504 with drop down bed in the cab and a single rear bed. Then again, the website already includes Peter Vaughan's glowing review of the pre face lifted model.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/Motorhomes/Reviews/Motorhomes/Hymer-B504-SL/_ch1_rw100_pg1

I agree that smaller vans are becoming the current craze so it is good to see a comparative review to follow up the downsizing articles in January's MMM.

Compact motorhomes are great- unfortunately compact motorhomes with drop down beds are no use for anybody over 6 feet tall. Motorhome manufacturers don't seem to realise that the population is getting taller and that those of us taller people have looked elsewhere. There are, fortunately, sub 6 metre coachbuilts which do not feature a drop down bed ,so, in our book, dropdown beds are not the CLEVEREST!

Delfin Driver - 2014-02-04 6:46 PM

Compact motorhomes are great- unfortunately compact motorhomes with drop down beds are no use for anybody over 6 feet tall. Motorhome manufacturers don't seem to realise that the population is getting taller and that those of us taller people have looked elsewhere. There are, fortunately, sub 6 metre coachbuilts which do not feature a drop down bed ,so, in our book, dropdown beds are not the CLEVEREST!

Spot on, in fact getting a bed over 6ft of any type in a compact is nigh on impossible. I reckon I would need something around 6ft 6in or 1.98cm to be reasonably confortable, looks like it's the Hlton for me *-)

Guest pelmetman

"8 'vans were tested from Burstner, Rapido, Bailey, Adria, Chausson, Pilote and Roller Team with only one winner."

Compact motorhomes? :-S.....................

I guess even the meaning compact has bloated up with time ;-)

Try a Fiat Amigo...........now that was compact...........considering it was a 4 berth 8-)...

https://www.flickr.com/groups/fiatamigo/

Ashpark - 2014-02-05 10:41 AM

Delfin Driver - 2014-02-04 6:46 PM

Spot on, in fact getting a bed over 6ft of any type in a compact is nigh on impossible. I reckon I would need something around 6ft 6in or 1.98cm to be reasonably confortable, looks like it's the Hlton for me *-)

Thats the problem with having these 'tests' and coming up with a winner, if the layout doesn't suit then for some it will be a complete loser. Looking at the 2014 awards it's obvious the 'panel' likes front lounge/bed layouts, for us they are useless.

Lucie Cranfield - 2014-02-04 2:51 PM

Hello All,

The team at Which Motorhome set out to find the best compact motorhome on the market. This type of motorhome is all the rage at the moment as they are more economical, easier to drive and can easily be parked in the supermarket. The cleverest six-metre coachbuilts come with a drop-down bed over the lounge,which can be ready in an instant.

8 'vans were tested from Burstner, Rapido, Bailey, Adria, Chausson, Pilote and Roller Team with only one winner.

Discover who won in the March issue of Which Motorhome, on-sale on 13th February. You can order this now and get it delivered directly to your door, just click here - http://warners.gr/1bZvvhb

Thanks,

Lucie

:-D

Not much use if you're looking for a "compact" m/h with a fixed bed.

It might be worth defining compact so we all talk about the same point or better understand each other.

I like the definition "having all the necessary components or features neatly fitted into a small space" which is in the Oxford Dictionary. It defines a motorhome as being "a motor vehicle equipped like a caravan for living in" which is different to a campervan, "a motor vehicle with living accommodation."

Off the top of my head, first thing for me would be a base vehicle. There is little I can do and the size of these which have to comply with the ever increasing vehicle safety requirements other than expect the interior design to compensate.

I would need at least two 6' beds, a dedicated toilet and probably a shower, two ringed hob and sink plus at least two seats and a table so I can eat comfortably, 50l waste and fresh water tanks - anything less and I might as well buy a caravan, usable all year round, appropriate compliance with legislation, storage for two people for at least 2 weeks away, 2 gas tanks, electric hook up and a decent battery say 90amp. I've probably forgotten something important.

I've had three 6m motorhomes without problems.

Poppy - 2014-02-05 12:00 PM

Why isn't it on pocket mags?

Presumably the digital version of the March 2014 of "Which Motorhome" isn't yet available, otherwise Lucy Cranfield is likely to have provided a link as she has in the past.

The March 2014 'paper' version isn't destined for general sale until 13th February and (based on Lucie's 13 January posting relating to the February issue of Which Motorhome) it may be that the digital version of WM isn't released until the paper version's date of general sale (or very close to that date).

I have to agree with the earlier comments about the definition of 'compact'....this seems to have been extended considerably, and having had various styles of motorhomes since 1991, I cannot agree that 'sub 6m' is in any way the correct definition.

My first three were an AS Harmony -around 16' and well equipped in every way, then a Compass Drifter coachbuilt overcab at 17'6 and I think 7'0 width, and again fully equipped even to the extent of a shower/dressing room, followed by a return to AS this time Symbol, again around 17' and fully equipped.

Following these, we went to a RApido 710F - probably for us and in our view one of the best and most usefully designed Motohomes, and at 5.5m long, but 2m wide very manoeuvrable and park-able, and the best constructed of all..

Currently we have a Burstner Marano 595, similar layout to the RApido) which despite the designation is actually a little over 6.1m but the hard part of it really has to be the 'standard' width on most FIAT based vehicles of the era (2007 onwards) of 7'6 plus those huge long mirrors.

Personally I would regard 5m perhaps 5.5m as the 'maximum' which can be construed as 'compact' but as stated earlier, a witch of 6' plus short-arm mirrors is equally important. It is interesting to note that after a period where you either had a van conversion (expensive and not always well insulated for all season use) or the huge overall width on the main chassis vehicles, there are a number of manufacturers re-entering the market of a 'narrow' coachbuilt, and perhaps listening to customer's comments.

I have to say from a driving point of view, when on the continent the size is no problem, but the average Uk road (especially down her in the south-west) can be quite daunting, and parking such a vehicle is a no-go in many places.

Derek Uzzell - 2014-02-05 1:55 PM

Poppy - 2014-02-05 12:00 PM

Why isn't it on pocket mags?

Presumably the digital version of the March 2014 of "Which Motorhome" isn't yet available, otherwise Lucy Cranfield is likely to have provided a link as she has in the past.

The March 2014 'paper' version isn't destined for general sale until 13th February and (based on Lucie's 13 January posting relating to the February issue of Which Motorhome) it may be that the digital version of WM isn't released until the paper version's date of general sale (or very close to that date).

Thanks Derek

You've got to laugh, haven't you...I can only imagine what must be going through the heads of those at "MMM HQ" (lol)

When ever and what ever they post, be it " XX's issue on sale now". or " XXXX show tickets on sale" it always seems to be met with a mix of, "...why isn't mine 'ere yet!?..it's full of adverts!..there's too many photographs..there's not enough photographs..ya call that a road test..?!"...etc

(...and in the case of any shows. ."...will it be muddy this year?..." .) (lol)

Guest Peter James
pelmetman - 2014-02-05 10:45 AM

"8 'vans were tested from Burstner, Rapido, Bailey, Adria, Chausson, Pilote and Roller Team with only one winner."

Compact motorhomes? :-S.....................

I guess even the meaning compact has bloated up with time ;-)

Try a Fiat Amigo...........now that was compact...........considering it was a 4 berth 8-)...

https://www.flickr.com/groups/fiatamigo/

Thats not compact

This is compact ;-)

camper_m_1728760a.jpg.6c707c672f1d7202f06d93bc79358abc.jpg

camper4_1728765a.jpg.8b6954c05058f9612f525ff13fef60a7.jpg

Archived