Radio Problems

mike19841

I am on my second radio in a 5 year old Pioneer Magellan. The first one was scrapped under advice as the reception was poor and would not hold stations for long. The current one is a Halfords fitted Alpine CDE113bt, an all singing all dancing set. Reception similarly is not good and medium and long waves are hopeless. To help I had fitted a Justconnect DAB but this keeps falling out. I have no idea where it is hidden. Radio technician came to help but after pfafffing about for a couple of hours fitted a new aerial and left with no improvement on the move. Decision now is whether to buy another radio or give up. Can anyone suggest a solution.

mike19841

Across the years there have been numerous complaints regarding poor radio reception on Fiat & Peugeot X250-based motorhomes. For example

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Poor-radio-reception-whole-stole-the-ariel-/25411/

(For many more gripes, GOOGLE-search using "x250 poor radio reception" as the search-term.)

If reception has been sub-standard with two different radios, it would be reasonable to assume the problem does not lie with the radio. if that's so in your case, buying another radio is likely to be a waste of money.

Looking at the photos on Google for this model of MH I can't see any signs of an external aerial.  If this is the case it is more than likely the aerial that is at fault (not necessarily faulty, simply not in the right position to receive a strong enough signal) and fitting a high gain external one should solve your problems.

Like others I found fitting a Blaupunkt Autofun AM/FM Aerial (inside windscreen) improved my reception considerably.

It's too late for you, but yesterday I had a Sony GT564UI Radio/CD fitted and the reception on this is much better than the original radio - not perfect all of the time, but pretty good most of the time. I chose this radio as it has a USB input and controls the Ipod from the headset to use when the radio is poor.

Interesting the local fitter I've used and trusted for 30 years refused to fit a wing aerial as he can no longer find aerials (for FM) up to the quality he requires. He is trying to source some for a few customers - mainly motorhomes.

The Government have recently cancelled plans for the foreseeable future to drop FM broadcasts

I'm no radio expert, but have had experience of radio issues being caused by the vehicle, or something in it, rather than the radio equipment itself.

engine suppression should not really be an issue these days, but have you got some electrical equipment that is running that might be getting in the way of a good signal? My reversing camera killed mine in the first instance.

Try switching everything off, fridge, pumps, heating systems, lights, inverters, chargers, the works, and see if that helps, then turn them on again to see what the culprit might be.

R

I did wonder about suppression having come up in the days when many electrical bits needed suppressors. I will try your suggestion but I can't think at this moment what can be running when driving.

Will try the Blaupunkt high gain aerial although there have been some users who have not found them particularly useful.

Mike

I recently fitted a Pioneer head unit, to replace the existing Sony - which didn't have a USB port.

The radio was fine with the Sony, but is useless with the Pioneer - from that I can only assume the choice of head unit does have a bearing on the factory fitted aerial.

As the Pioneer was a present from the kids, and is clearly a better unit, I'm thinking I'll have to try an alternative aerial.

Archived