Am I being too suspicious

MrWoo

Just had the attached leaflet through my letterbox.

I find this rather strange as I can't imagine anyone putting these in every house on the off chance some one has a motorhome for sale. I live at the top end of a cul-de-sac quite a distance from a main road so no one passing would have seen my motorhome on the drive as the only people using the lane is our neighbors.

My money is on the scrap metal dealers/gypsies who come up our lane at least 4 times a week and always eye up the premises.

img001.jpg.d3de2b3f018a19d79bc3e7656249ea26.jpg

If you GOOGLE on the 07585 340622 phone number, you'll find a number of for-sale adverts for caravans/motorhomes (apparently) on behalf of 3rd parties. For example

http://tinyurl.com/ptb6hmu

I doubt there are scrap metal dealers/gypsies with criminal intent involved and (as JudgeMental says) it is easy enough to spot motorhomes parked in the open.

(This may be some sort of wheeling-and-dealing 'middle man takes a commission' buying/selling arrangement. If you really want to find out what's going on ring the phone number.)

Guest JudgeMental

Exactly Mike.....

Jeez..nothing suspicious here, just someone showing some initiative and trying to identify vans that are not being used in the hope of buying cheap, sell on, and turn a profit

there must be 1000's of vans around rotting away...No different to the young eastern europeans fly posting their cleaning/gardening/building services, Just showing some initiative! Unlike our homegrown skivers and malingerers who think they are owed a living....

fjmike - 2014-02-06 2:19 PM

I post my flyers through letter boxes when I see a caravan or motorhome and my flyers only have my mobile number (best way to get hold of me) , web address and email. Am I scaring people away??????????

You would scare me away. Anyone with an untraceable mobile number, or a googlemail, or similar email address goes straight into the bin

Guest Peter James
fjmike - 2014-02-06 4:05 PM

I would agree with you on a Gmail or Hotmail accounts but mine is linked into my web page. I am genuinely interested if not having a landline number scares of potential customers.

Not everyone has the ability or the time to check you out online first.

Some crooks seem to set up a web page nearly as easily as a mobile number.

Why would I trust a stranger with the keys to my motorhome if they could drive it away leaving me with nothing more than a card with a mobile number on?

fjmike - 2014-02-06 4:05 PM

I would agree with you on a Gmail or Hotmail accounts but mine is linked into my web page. I am genuinely interested if not having a landline number scares of potential customers.

I am always suspicious of anyone who does not give a landline and an address, tend to wonder why are they hiding.

spospe - 2014-02-06 4:01 PM

I post my flyers through letter boxes when I see a caravan or motorhome and my flyers only have my mobile number (best way to get hold of me) , web address and email. Am I scaring people away??????????

You would scare me away. Anyone with an untraceable mobile number, or a googlemail, or similar email address goes straight into the bin

I agree with most of the posts but don't understand what's wrong with the Gmail address??

Alan ;-)

I agree with most of the posts but don't understand what's wrong with the Gmail address??

Alan ;-)Quote

Gmail addresses have an IP number which is a Google one. So you cannot be traced by your IP number, only as far as the Google server. I believe (but stand to be corrected) that Hotmail is the same.

By the way, I never phone mobile numbers, at least I only phone family and friends, it costs to much.

H

At one time a couple of years ago now when I was changing motorhomes I had two parked outside my house. I got quite a few of these type of "wanted" notices stuck on my old van. I suspect the neighbours were trying to encourage me to get rid of the extra one as parking where I live can be a problem.I never did find out who actually put them there.

Rayjsj - 2014-02-06 7:20 PM

JudgeMental - 2014-02-06 4:23 PM

Unbelievable......many dont have landline numbers in this day and age *-)

and ' many' are losing business because of it. just the 'way it is'. *-) Ray

The worlds a changing place and many now don't think twice about a mobile number, BUT, around here theres many vans with mobile numbers only on them and of an evening they all are parked up next to caravans ;-)

Saying that tomorrow i'll be going to do a bit of work for a company that runs off a mobile number, but they do have a fixed address.

p.s. BTW anyone can have a mobile with a landline number, but it does cost.

Can only speak for me, but I won't deal with any business that appears to have no postal address. I always ask myself why not, and the invariable answer that comes to my mind is that the proprietor doesn't want anyone to know. Why? Because they don't want dissatisfied customers turning up to complain. So, in my case, I'm afraid your flyer would go straight in the bin - along with many others. Sorry Mike! :-)

Archived