First trip to Spain

Marie1

Pleased to receive advice/guidance. We are hoping to take our first trip abroad this year, having purchased our first motorhome (a van conversion) last year. We would like to go to Spain but as we are novices wondered if an organized tour may be best? We only have about two weeks. Any ideas on tours available or any other way to enjoy a first taste of Spanish country/mountains/coast or gardens gratefully accepted. B-)

Guest pelmetman
That's a long way to go for just two weeks :-|...............I'd be inclined to just do a bit of France, unless you fancy the ferry to Santander (?)

If you only have two weeks forget Spain just stay in France.

Have done the trip to Spain twice in the last 14 months and its a long way, we take our time and see France on the way to and from Spain with a minimum time of 6 days each way.

France is the place for motorhomes or camping cars as the French say. B-)

Done Spain a couple of times with a caravan when the kids came with us in just over 2 weeks about 17 days, 3 days hard driving each way to get there and back if limited to 14 days not worth it. Best to follow others advice stay in France I certainly would not do it that fast now prefer to take it easy avoiding Autoroutes.

Marie1 - 2014-02-07 11:59 AM

Pleased to receive advice/guidance. We are hoping to take our first trip abroad this year, having purchased our first motorhome (a van conversion) last year. We would like to go to Spain but as we are novices wondered if an organized tour may be best? We only have about two weeks. Any ideas on tours available or any other way to enjoy a first taste of Spanish country/mountains/coast or gardens gratefully accepted. B-)

Welcome to the forum Marie 1

As others have said it's a long way to go for two weeks. You wouldn't get to see much of Spain in that time.

You could sail to Santander and see the mountains ( Pecos ) and coastline of north west Spain, that might give you another couple of days there, but don't expect it to be hot and sunny there - I found the climate there quite British on the two occasions I have been.

I read on a forum recently that someone says they get to the Spanish Costas from Calais using non pay roads in two and a half days,in their Motorhome madness in my view. ,but it can be done,Motorhomes are leisure vehicles and therefore one should take time, stop and explore etc,as previous advice given why not just wander France untill you have time for a longer trip,get an Aires book from Vicarious books,all in English and enjoy.Spain and Portugal are great Countries to travel in a Motorhome, plenty of stopover places,Vic books Spain and Portugal are great for this and the campsites are cheap enough if you want to use them no need to book in most cases as always spaces in our experience and they get cheaper the longer you stay.Bon Voyage.

Marie1 - 2014-02-07 11:59 AM

Marie, I think you need to say when you would go, where/how you would cross the Channel, and where in Spain you would head for. Calais to Irun is 670 miles by autoroute (about €200 if you use all toll roads), Calais to La Jonqueira 730 miles (aboit €180 using all autoroute). If you wanted to go to Seville, it is 1270 miles. You first need a plan, what you are asking to too open ended.

However, in just two weeks, as above, I'd also say stick to France - unless your holiday is to be the driving! I guess you could manage a few days on the Costa Brava, but you'd need to be well into spring to catch the better weather. I'd also say take it easy at first, and get used to driving on the right, and to the different driving habits in France. Cruising down autoroutes is very easy but, sooner or later, you'll have to leave them and cope with normal two way traffic. That is where the differences become more noticeable.

Thanks for all the advice, very helpful. I guess I didn't really give enough detail. Our thoughts were to take the ferry to Santander and stick mainly to the north but, if necessary, move further south to improve chances of some sunshine. Didn't want to go down to the Costas though. We were looking to travel in late spring. From all the comments and suggestions received however it appears we need to have a bit of a re think and plan, whether that be to extend the holiday or change the destination!

Marie1 - 2014-02-10 10:54 AM

Thanks for all the advice, very helpful. I guess I didn't really give enough detail. Our thoughts were to take the ferry to Santander and stick mainly to the north but, if necessary, move further south to improve chances of some sunshine. Didn't want to go down to the Costas though. We were looking to travel in late spring. From all the comments and suggestions received however it appears we need to have a bit of a re think and plan, whether that be to extend the holiday or change the destination!

EXTEND the holiday

we are of to Spain in April, but will go to the south,(but we do have 8weeks) as the north not very warm, and can be wet that early in the year, best time in north june/July/Aug.

PJay

Archived