Lake Garda

KPBH

Guest JudgeMental
lake garda is the beverly hills of Italy..we go every year but to an all frills site. cheap sites are few and far between in this area unless travelling out of season but then weather not guaranteed.

Thrre is an 'aire' outside Camping Bella Italia which used to be council owned but has now been taken over by the campsite. It is a glorified carpark with electricity,waste dump & water. Don't know the price but you could email them to ask.Peschiera is a lovely part of the lake and well worth a visit with plenty to see around there

Mike

Guest JudgeMental
Mike B. - 2014-02-07 1:30 PM

Thrre is an 'aire' outside Camping Bella Italia which used to be council owned but has now been taken over by the campsite. It is a glorified carpark with electricity,waste dump & water. Don't know the price but you could email them to ask.Peschiera is a lovely part of the lake and well worth a visit with plenty to see around there

Mike

yes we have stayed on this aire and it was expensive at 20 € probably more now. not good in blazing august temperatures staying on a car park with no shade. the site is awful, it is enormous, overcrowded and not for us..we had a meal there and it was near impossible to get a table, we gave up and ate in the snack bar...not a site I would recommend, but town is lovely, but then most lake garda towns are :-D

Three years ago we traveled via Austria over the Timmelsloch Pass (very scary and fun) and arrived at the north of Lake Garda. Can't remember the town name but it had an aire which was full but the nearbye car parks on the lakeside were around 8 euros over night,we were one of three vans that were there, this suggested that the very top of the lake is low rent.

We go here - http://www.paradisogarda.it/lake-garda/camping-price-list-.html

It's a small terraced site on a steep hillside near Muslone, attached to a very popular pizzeria restaurant which has spectacular views over the lake. Family-run, and very pleasant.

Been last 2 years, once with an 8.2m Burstner, and now with our tiny little 6.3m Possl :-D No problem parking either of them.

We have only done the north end of the Lake around Riva Garda. There are two Aires. Both pretty grim IMO and expensive. I think one is €15 but that one is limited to 24 hours and if you stay over that limit I think they start charging €5 per hour. Otherwise its 50 cents an hour if you just want to park up for a few hours for a look around. It looked pretty stacked when we were there. The other one in Riva Garda was a little better. more of a Campsite type Aire and a whopping €30.

We stayed at a lovely little Aire just to the east of Garda 3000ft up a mountain at Brentonico. Details here taken from CC Infos

Via al Dosset

BRENTONICO 38060 (TN)

near the cemetery

Latitude (North) 45.81534 Decimal ° or 45 ° 48 '55'' Longitude: (East) 10.95559 Decimal ° or 10 ° 57 '20'' Price: Terminal Type: Other Amenities: Picnic Tables Other information: Area CC for 11 on interlocking, pitches with individual terminals services (electricity, water & )

Cracking little Sosta with great views and a pretty little town. EHU and services. Cant remember how much it was but I think €6, ticket from Ti. You need secondary transport though as its about 9 miles down the hill to the lake but a lovely scooter ride.

From research there is nothing cheap or attractive Sosta wise around the lake.

To me Garda was the Windermere of the Italian lakes. Everybody flocks there as they cant be arsed to suss out the real Italian lake gems.

Some of the best scenery and Sostas we found in Italy were to the north east of Garda up in the Dolomites. The Sosta at Barcis for example is €12 and right next to one of the lovliest Alpine lakes I have ever seen. Big individual pitches and no time limit. The Sosta at Sauris even further up is just in a stunning location if your into walking or cycling and has all services including EHU for Free!

Garda is ringed with campsites, and many seem to have motorhomes staying on a semi permanent basis, set up with awnings, barbecues and tents. Camping Fornella is posh, but interesting in that it is run by the Cavazza family who own the Isla del Garda. The Contessa is actually British, the eldest daughter of the Earl of Shrewsbury who was evicted from their stately home in Staffordshire with her sisters and young brother following the late Earl's notorious divorce. She worked as an air hostess and met the Count Cavazza, they had seven children and then he died, leaving her with the castle on the island but no income. She and her children now run an olive oil farm, some campsites, and do tours around the island. Alberta, one of the daughters conducts the tours, say hello if you visit, they have just bought a painting of the family before they left England.

Guest JudgeMental
Well Bill a good run down on our favorite campsite!,:-D This year will be our 10th visit in a row, Christian Cavazza ( Borghese Cavazza) the youngest son, a friend of my children's and ours... crazy about my daughter but she is not having any of that! He and some of the lifeguards/entertainment crew stay with us when they visit London. My son has worked as lifeguard there but uni now taking to much of his time.....do you go there regularly?

At the prices quoted above for the aires, it seems they are not much cheaper than some campsites. If you are going off season, you could try the ACSI off season sites. We stayed at one in Moniga, it had good amenities and fronted onto the lake with 2 landing stages. There was a reasonably priced restaurant, but be sure to buy your drinks from the bar where they are much cheaper than on the waiter menu. We got stung for almost 10 euros for one soft drink and one beer, whereas the price splashed across the bar was much cheaper. But that's just Italy, always check drinks prices before you order.

The ACSI price was about 16 euros for a pitch, and the reception didn't even want to see the ACSI card, saying it was just the same as their normal price - this was late May.

Hi Judgemental, I haven't stayed at the campsite, (newbie) but had a chat to Alberta a couple of years ago.

We have family connections, not aristocratic but by marriage to my son. Fascinating story, the divorce was a cause célèbre at the time and the present Earl is still bitter about it.

I may call in this year as we are planning and extended tour.

Archived