Spain & Portugal clockwise. Recommendations please.

Ste 1984

Now I know there big places, and this is a big question, and there must be thousands of stop offs and cool places along the way, but just some highlights, nice beaches, wild camping spots would be great if you could recommend any through your experiences. Also any places to avoid. Planning on hugging the coast all the way round pretty much. Thanks a lot. :-)

The Algarve and Western coast of Portugal is chock full of wilding places and Aires so no trouble there Spain likewise but not as easy as Portugal, not been to Spain for about 4 years so Don,t know if our favourite places are still availabe but was no problem in the past,May I suggest you have a look at,www.wildcampingformotorhomes a great site dedicated more to wilding.

Hi Ste

We spent 3 months last year going down through France, round the N Spain Coast, then down Portugal as far as Lisbon. Going back in April for as long again, with a plan to continue - we may "finish" Spain in another 3 months. As you say, it's a b-i-g place! We're doing it anticlockwise - so might just bump into you!

I hesitate to recommend anywhere in particular - other than not to miss San Sebastián - but a couple of points to bear in mind is that sites in Spain can get very dear in high season, so if you're off season ACSI is a very good idea. Portuguese sites aren't so dear although Orbitur ones can be pricey. We found a couple of sites very useful for aires - for Portugal try www.campingcarportugal.com, available in English, and has a database of aires & motorhome parks. A similar site exists for Spain - I think you'll find it if you google "acactivoguia" - not as user friendly, but still helpful. Plus the French site campingcars info.com has loads of aires listed in both countries.

Guest JudgeMental
we have done northern spain and portugal anti clockwise as well, so many places to stop and enjoy its hard to remember where to start to be honest......

We found with the Orbitur sites up till the end of May that they were cheaper by not using the ACSI card, most other sites away from the Algarve were also very cheap. Camping Dourada on the Algarve was cheap if you stay at least three nights and we found a nice site on the way to Monchique which was only €12.50 but quite difficult to find.

Archived