Pickles shows some 'balls'.............

RogerC

Symbol Owner - 2014-02-09 8:11 PM

colin - 2014-02-09 5:06 PM

I would suggest you read again my post, because you start off saying i'm wrong and then put together a post which appears to agree with mine. i.e. it's not that we shouldn't trust experts but that we should have the right experts.

Sorry Colin if I misread you -- you appeared to be saying that we shouldn't trust the 'locals' either, because they would become 'experts' too -- and maybe not trustworthy as a result -- I obviously took you wrongly and I apologise :$

Colin.

I did have to go back and double check my post, it's not unusual for me to leave out large chunks of what I'm thinking. 8-)

The EA is a fairly easy target for Dave, the present head is an ex labour minister, the one prior to that was appointed by Tony and is ex RSPB. The hard part might be getting residents to vote pro EU if/when we get a poll.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/christopherbooker/10625663/Flooding-Somerset-Levels-disaster-is-being-driven-by-EU-policy.html

derek pringle - 2014-02-10 9:31 AM

Hi All,

The financial state of the country appears to dictate that we need to prioritize where we spend our resources, so it seems. In this case I believe that the money earmarked for the HS2 project would do an awful lot for our river defenses all over the country. Whilst it may be admirable to build faster railway links I cannot see them being of any use if the lines are flooded and trains can not run on them. My priority would be to get people back in their homes asap and then ensure they can rest without fear of repeats.

Anybody agree?

cheers

derek

I second that, for a start they should be looking to make the lines and trains safe that we already have before the spend 2 million on a white elephant ! and I think the people that live on the Penzance line would like some of it especially those that are in danger of losing their houses into the sea.

This country is SHINE OVER WATSIT >:-(

maggyd - 2014-02-10 12:02 PM
derek pringle - 2014-02-10 9:31 AMHi All, The financial state of the country appears to dictate that we need to prioritize where we spend our resources, so it seems. In this case I believe that the money earmarked for the HS2 project would do an awful lot for our river defenses all over the country. Whilst it may be admirable to build faster railway links I cannot see them being of any use if the lines are flooded and trains can not run on them. My priority would be to get people back in their homes asap and then ensure they can rest without fear of repeats.Anybody agree?cheersderek
I second that, for a start they should be looking to make the lines and trains safe that we already have before the spend 2 million on a white elephant ! and I think the people that live on the Penzance line would like some of it especially those that are in danger of losing their houses into the sea. This country is SHINE OVER WATSIT >:-(

Maggyd...if it is HS2 you are referring to in your £2 million spend,  current estimates are in the region of £28 Billion........and depending on which report you read it could eventually top £50 Billion once 'everything' is taken into account.

Speaking of money and budgets - John Redwoods blog is interesting :-

From John Redwood's blog today :

"In 2012-13 the EA spent £1207.4m compared to £1166.6m the year before. It ended the year with £95.8m cash in the bank. We are told the “cuts” stopped it doing a good job on flooding. How big an increase in spending would it take to qualify as no cut?"

http://johnredwoodsdiary.com/

Clearly the EA had plenty of cash but preferred NOT to use it for dredging!!!!!!!!

It makes Chris Smith's claim that the EA had "put £400,000 on the table" seem even more ludicrous !

RogerC - 2014-02-10 12:31 PM
maggyd - 2014-02-10 12:02 PM
derek pringle - 2014-02-10 9:31 AMHi All, The financial state of the country appears to dictate that we need to prioritize where we spend our resources, so it seems. In this case I believe that the money earmarked for the HS2 project would do an awful lot for our river defenses all over the country. Whilst it may be admirable to build faster railway links I cannot see them being of any use if the lines are flooded and trains can not run on them. My priority would be to get people back in their homes asap and then ensure they can rest without fear of repeats.Anybody agree?cheersderek
I second that, for a start they should be looking to make the lines and trains safe that we already have before the spend 2 million on a white elephant ! and I think the people that live on the Penzance line would like some of it especially those that are in danger of losing their houses into the sea. This country is SHINE OVER WATSIT >:-(

Maggyd...if it is HS2 you are referring to in your £2 million spend,  current estimates are in the region of £28 Billion........and depending on which report you read it could eventually top £50 Billion once 'everything' is taken into account.

I stand corrected. :-)

Archived