Alas Smith ........... and errrr .....Smith

CliveH

Hats of to Andrew Montford of Bishop Hill for this :-

In his interview with the Today programme this morning, Environment Agency chairman Lord Smith was asked about the idea that it was the policy of the Agency to allow the Somerset Levels to flood (audio below; 7:00mins for key quotes). Smith was asked specifically about a policy document from 2008 which referred to the possibility - so-called option 6 - of allowing parts of the Levels to flood:

Policy Unit 8- Somerset Levels and Moors

Policy option 6 – Take action to increase the frequency of flooding to deliver benefits locally or elsewhere, which may constitute an overall flood risk reduction.

Note: This policy option involves a strategic increase in flooding in allocated areas, but is not intended to affect the risk to individual properties.

Smith was absolutely adamant that the Agency had no such policy:

"No, that certainly hasn't been ...certainly since I've been chairman of the Environment Agency, which was after that document, which I have to confess I've never seen and never taken any notice of.

...that is certainly is not Environment Agency policy as of now, hasn't been for the last five and half years while I've been chairman..."

Which is why this second document, from 2012, is such a surprise. This is the North and Mid-Somerset Flood Management Plan, put in place some four years after Chris Smith became chairman and seems to suggest (p.20) that Option 6 was in fact the Agency's preferred policy for the Levels.

"The vision and preferred policy

Policy Option 6 - we will take action with others to store water or manage runoff in locations that provide overall flood risk reduction or environmental benefits. By adopting this policy and redistributing water some areas will be subject to increased flooding while others will benefit from reduced flooding. The aim is to achieve a net overall benefit.

The distribution of floodwater between moors can be determined to some extent by the use of sluices and other structures on the rivers. The distribution of floodwater has developed to some extent by historical ‘accident’ rather than design.

When considering the distribution of assets across the sub-area it makes sense to direct water to areas which have limited assets at risk. By redistributing floodwater, primarily from upstream of Langport to the King’s Sedgemoor Drain, the overall damage and disruption from flooding would be reduced. Other redistribution options may also be possible, although modelling has shown that technically not all options are feasible."

Oh dear.

Oh dear, Oh dear, Oh dear...............................

:-S

Have no idea Dave

But like his predecessors famous quote about wanting to put Limpet Mines on all of the Pumping stations on the Levels, I feel this comment - and the reality that exists behind his spin - will haunt him.

Perhaps, given where we now are with flood risk in the UK, it would be more grown up if past mistakes were put to one side and everyone worked together to reduce the potential for flooding everywhere from future unpredicted, but not unpredictable, persistent precipitation and extreme weather events which are becoming far less extreme and ever more everyday by the day?

Or is it a case of 'that's another fine pickle you've got us into, but as long as nobody can blame me I don't care?'.

Tracker - 2014-02-10 9:15 PM

Perhaps, given where we now are with flood risk in the UK, it would be more grown up if past mistakes were put to one side and everyone worked together to reduce the potential for flooding everywhere from future unpredicted, but not unpredictable, persistent precipitation and extreme weather events which are becoming far less extreme and ever more everyday by the day?

In an ideal world maybe Tracker

But having lived a fair old time - I am a great believer in the old adage - "If you want to predict the future - look to history"

The Levels were once swamps - fenlands - the Romans started draining them and we have done so ever since. To allow them to revert to swamp and fenland would be folly.

It would also be a crime against those individuals who work an farm the Levels.

But that is exactly what Baroness Young had as her agenda when, as head of the EA, she stated that she would like to place Limpet Mines on all the Pumping Stations of the Levels.

I am all for making a new start and not dwelling on the past - but when a folly so large as that which the Levels are suffering happens despite locals warning that dredging is required - and the EA has millions of its budget still the bank but has deliberately ignored local knowledge and run its own twisted agenda such that any "Environment" this "agency" thinks it is in charge of consists of nothing but drowned flora and fauna - then IMO - heads need to roll.....................

If not History just repeats itself.

Viewing the news tonight is seems it's not just the 'Levels' that the EA stopped dredging.  By the reports on TV it seems they also stopped dredging 'parts' of the Thames because the 'experts' said it was capable of 'self clearing' of silt deposits.  Despite the advice/knowledge of locals they ceased dredging operations............hey ho never mind the experts know best.  :-D

Tracker - 2014-02-10 9:15 PM

Perhaps, given where we now are with flood risk in the UK, it would be more grown up if past mistakes were put to one side and everyone worked together .........................................

'.

" Working together " is a nice idea - but wouldn't efficiency mean less jobs ?

According to Newsnight last night ( Monday ) flooding control on the Somerset Levels is the responsibility of seven different organisations.

Environment Agency

Sedgmoor District Council

Taunton Deane District Council

South Somerset Council

Somerset County Council

Natural England

Local Internal Drainage Board

....................... what could possibly have gone wrong ???

;-)

malc d - 2014-02-11 10:07 AM
Tracker - 2014-02-10 9:15 PMPerhaps, given where we now are with flood risk in the UK, it would be more grown up if past mistakes were put to one side and everyone worked together ......................................... '.
" Working together " is a nice idea - but wouldn't efficiency mean less jobs ?According to Newsnight last night ( Monday ) flooding control on the Somerset Levels is the responsibility of seven different organisations.Environment AgencySedgmoor District CouncilTaunton Deane District CouncilSouth Somerset CouncilSomerset County CouncilNatural EnglandLocal Internal Drainage Board....................... what could possibly have gone wrong ??? ;-)

Whilst it might not exactly be their 'responsibility' you forgot to include the interfering gits in Brussels.................surely they must hold some degree of 'responsibility' due to their imposition of ludicrous policies? 

RogerC - 2014-02-11 11:22 AM
malc d - 2014-02-11 10:07 AM
Tracker - 2014-02-10 9:15 PMPerhaps, given where we now are with flood risk in the UK, it would be more grown up if past mistakes were put to one side and everyone worked together ......................................... '.
" Working together " is a nice idea - but wouldn't efficiency mean less jobs ?According to Newsnight last night ( Monday ) flooding control on the Somerset Levels is the responsibility of seven different organisations.Environment AgencySedgmoor District CouncilTaunton Deane District CouncilSouth Somerset CouncilSomerset County CouncilNatural EnglandLocal Internal Drainage Board....................... what could possibly have gone wrong ??? ;-)

Whilst it might not exactly be their 'responsibility' you forgot to include the interfering gits in Brussels.................surely they must hold some degree of 'responsibility' due to their imposition of ludicrous policies? 

It was Newsnight that "forgot" to include Brussels - not me.I think the point they were making was that no-one seems to be " in charge " - so, as we have seen, everyone blames everyone else - and nothing gets done.At least Pickles has now done a u-turn. In the House of Commons yesterday when he said:" my admiration for the work of the Environment Agency exceeds no-one "( I reckon Dave had a word with him ). ;-)

nowtelse2do - 2014-02-11 12:49 PM

No, sorry malc, not me....don't know him. Maybe Dave (pelmetman) HE hobnobs with the upper crust I beleive, us low life's just eat crusts. :-D

Dave

Sorry mate - didn't mean you of course.

I was talking about the bloke I saw on telly yesterday who put on a hard hat to visit a beach.

It was that Cameron chap - I think he must have a fear of dive bombing seagulls.

;-)

malc d - 2014-02-11 1:15 PM
nowtelse2do - 2014-02-11 12:49 PMNo, sorry malc, not me....don't know him. Maybe Dave (pelmetman) HE hobnobs with the upper crust I beleive, us low life's just eat crusts. :-D Dave
Sorry mate - didn't mean you of course.I was talking about the bloke I saw on telly yesterday who put on a hard hat to visit a beach.It was that Cameron chap - I think he must have a fear of dive bombing seagulls. ;-)

Given the extent of the H&S mandarins 'risk aversion' policy I'm only surprised he wasn't wearing a life jacket..............I mean that big dangerous ocean was only a few yards away..... :-D

Well nobody seems to want to discus Chris Smiths interview on Newsnight? In it he claimed £50m was offered by EA last year for dredging on the levels, but this had to be matched by the local councils and drainage board, they never bothered ao no dredging. The muds being flung thick and fast, let's what the local councils answer.

colin - 2014-02-11 2:20 PM

Well nobody seems to want to discus Chris Smiths interview on Newsnight? In it he claimed £50m was offered by EA last year for dredging on the levels, but this had to be matched by the local councils and drainage board, they never bothered ao no dredging. The muds being flung thick and fast, let's what the local councils answer.

We'll never get anywhere if we start trying to discover the facts Colin.

The flooding is clearly Chris Smiths own personal fault in the same way that the collapse of the world financial system was Gordon Browns fault.

Let's keep it simple.

:-D

malc d - 2014-02-11 11:40 AM

At least Pickles has now done a u-turn. In the House of Commons yesterday when he said:

" my admiration for the work of the Environment Agency exceeds no-one "

( I reckon Dave had a word with him ).

;-)

....yes, he did indeed say that - but I interpreted it not as a U-turn, but as confirming that he had the (possibly equal) least regard of anyone for the Environment Agency (staff).

In Mr Pickles' case, I suspect not a Freudian slip.

Sadly - this cartoon is yet another demonstration of just how low the Guardian has sunk.

Despite the evidence that Baroness Young (Labour) had an "agenda" for the Levels - "Limpet Mines on Pumping Stations" will be a quote she will find hard to live down, and the current incumbent of the EA Lord Chris Smith (Labour) overseeing the implementation of Policy Option 6 - whilst denying such a policy exists:-

"No, that certainly hasn't been ...certainly since I've been chairman of the Environment Agency, which was after that document, which I have to confess I've never seen and never taken any notice of.

...that is certainly is not Environment Agency policy as of now, hasn't been for the last five and half years while I've been chairman..."

the Guardian produces a cartoon worthy of the Beano attacking the individual rather than dealing with the issues.

What a shame the once great "Manchester Guardian" has come to this. :-S

Could it be that Whistleblowers within the EA, unhappy with its direction are now coming forward with information that would caste a very interesting new light on how the EA has been run?

I have to say I have my doubts ;-

But it could be seriously interesting!! 8-)

http://insidetheenvironmentagency.co.uk/index.php?controller=post&action=view&id_post=55

CliveH - 2014-02-12 6:14 AM

the Guardian produces a cartoon worthy of the Beano attacking the individual rather than dealing with the issues.

What a shame the once great "Manchester Guardian" has come to this. :-S

....you might interpret it that way, I rather saw it not as an individual attack, but as comment on the Government's inability to find anything constructive to do other than "parachuting" in a senior member to attempt to shift the blame to anyone but itself. :-S

(Steve Bell does (IMO) quite often demonstrate symptoms of being certifiable, but at the same time he also has an uncanny knack of often hitting the nail on the head).

If the Guardian isn't to your taste, perhaps you'd prefer today's Telegraph on a similar theme:

Floods.JPG.27f8606bcea3f04883b5845a824580ac.JPG

I think the cartoons in both cases are extremely good - as cartoons - but - to me - the Telegraph one is generic "saving ourselves" - applies to just about any Quangocat, any Public Official, any politician.

But the Guardian is now, sadly, known for its puerile personal attacks.

IMO - the Guardian cartoon above attacks the player - not the ball.

Which, again IMO, is why the paper is a shadow of its former self and losing circulation week by week,

http://www.mediaweek.co.uk/article/1173980/newspaper-abcs-guardian-hits-historic-low-following-20p-price-hike

:-D

Archived