Hobby 700 750 owners

rawhide

Hobby 700 750 owners  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

HI, I am very close to buying Hobby 700 750 series, but over the weekend research gave me negatives on the length of vehicle i.e, campsites, parking, no go areas in europe etc, i love the look of these vehicles and the internal layouts, would appreciate truthful replies of bad experience with this size of vehicle, have they got a point or is there nothing to worry about. (?) Oh what MPG do you get,

Steve

Did you ever let your heart rule your head, then 12 months down the line realise she was just like all the rest, If you have a gripe with me thats your problem, i am asking Hobby owners for help who have experience of something i dont have, we as you say covered this weeks ago, perhaps i cover things better than you, help and advise is welcome, ripping me up for nothing i don't like,

Take care Steve :-D

Whilst you may love the look of it, you will also actually have to live with it -

Everyone has a different opinion, hence the diversity of vans available.

Personally, I like the 700/750 series - but I would never own one, and for several reasons.

Only you can answer the question, but I get the impression you might possibly be falling in love for all the wrong reasons.

As for as MPG goes - I think Brian K answered that in your other thread.

Guest JudgeMental
Not sure what you see in this van but I certainly dont have the same view....£30K on a 10 year old, low tech, heavy dinosaur of a camper...I think you need your head examined..but carry on. just seem to be searching for validation......all you will get from us is common sense. Buy in haste repent at leisure *-)

Steve

Hobby 750s are almost 8 metres in length, with a wide turning-circle due to the long wheelbase. (There's a 2001 MMM report here http://tinyurl.com/pblprvx that suggests that a realistic average fuel-consumption in the low-20s should be expected.)

Parking and manoeuvring such a vehicle (be it a Hobby or any other make of motorhome wiith a similar specification) will be trickier than with the short-wheebase Swift/Autocruise models you were interested in back in late-2012.

As you owned a Mobilvetta Euroyacht (hardly a small vehicle) for two years and drove it abroad, why should you think a Hobby 750 would be significantly different? There will be campsites where shoehorning an 8-metre vehicle into a small 'pitch' will be challenging, but that really shouldn't need highlighting. Many people own 3-axle Fiat-based motorhomes, accept the self-evident size implications and happily tour with them extensively in the UK and abroad.

I'm not sure what you mean by "... no go areas in europe..."

There have been mentions in the past of motorhomes with two rear axles being refused entry to French campsites that have a 'no twin-axle caravans' policy. It's also been claimed that, because Continental 'travellers' favour Hobby caravans, some UK campsites have refused entry to Hobby motorhomes. This was discussed here

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/For-Hobby-owners/28350/

Thanks Derek, Have just spent the day looking at 4 various makes ,all smaller than the Hobby, it has to be done, will be part living in the thing so it has to be right, think it will be the Hobby and once i've got it i will love the thing, 21 to the gallon, PARDON :-(

Regards Steve

My tag axle Hymer which I had for ten years was giving us 30 mpg easy to drive and reverse good on tyres, tag axles DO NOT wear out tyres any quicker than any other van,the centre row of tyres were original,still had plenty of tread and walls were A Ok (had them checked)  at 80,000 miles when I changed the van I did have new fronts and rear tyres replaced as needed.The 2,8 turbo diesel engine was dream and gave no problems, regularly serviced of course ,drive them properly and you will have no problems,tag axle vans that is,we toured Europe extensively and were only refused a camp site once in ten years and that was in Holland ,a nearby camp site was more than happy to accept us.we took the van over some of the steepest hairpin passes in Europe and Morocco with no problems, so any one who say tags are a problem have never had one and Don,t know what they are talking about,our Hymer B694 was almost 8 metres long.

I love 750's we had an arapaho it handled fantastic the tag axle made it feel very stable we thought we would have it till we snuffed : but sadly circumstances decreed otherwise , we loved the living space it gave us fair enough you can't run around town in it but for us the advantages outweighed the disadvantages :everybody has a different idea on their ""perfect"" van : ours was 8.7 m loved it : Go for it good luck pp

Archived