Additional solar panel

crbtaylor

We have a 90w. Solar panel fitted to the roof of our van. We want to increase the output from 90w to say 200w. Is it best to replace this panel with a larger one or add an additional pane. I suspect the latter option will be best as the original panel seems to be fastened strongly. Is it a simply job to fit another panel and can it be connected to the existing one?

If you wish to install a second or third solar panel you will have to connect to panels wiring in parallel with both sets of wires going to the regulator independently but check first if your regulator can handle the extra amps! also make sure the wiring from the regulator to your battery can handle the extra amps that the extra solar panels will produce...

If you have any more questions please ask

I have 3 panels totalling 320 watts with a 30 amp regulator,on a dull winter’s day I get around 1 amp reaching to 7 amps if the sun is outas the sun is low in the sky, on a summer’s day this will rise from 7 amps inthe morning to 26 amps around midday/afternoon.

Hope this helps you

sambukashot - 2014-02-11 3:28 PM

I have 3 panels totalling 320 watts with a 30 amp regulator,on a dull winter’s day I get around 1 amp reaching to 7 amps if the sun is outas the sun is low in the sky, on a summer’s day this will rise from 7 amps inthe morning to 26 amps around midday/afternoon.

Hope this helps you

This is interesting.

Are your 3 panels different wattage and fitted with diodes in positive line?

I could do with more solar power but space on roof is limited so I'd have to fit a smaller one than existing

(A few years back I was told by solar installer that panels had to be equal size and spec .... but if diodes are fitted each panel is isolated from the other(s)?)

Arthur

arthur49 - 2014-02-15 12:14 PM

Hope this helps you

This is interesting.

I could do with more solar power but space on roof is limited so I'd have to fit a smaller one than existing

(A few years back I was told by solar installer that panels had to be equal size and spec .... but if diodes are fitted each panel is isolated from the other(s)?)

Arthur

i may be completely wrong and dont mind being corrected but dont diodes have a voly drop across them, the resuly being a decrease in the output voltage of the panel. I am just thinking back to my colledge days but tech has moved on since then.

crbtaylor - 2014-02-15 12:42 PM

Hope this helps you

This is interesting.

Arthur

i may be completely wrong and dont mind being corrected but dont diodes have a voly drop across them, the resuly being a decrease in the output voltage of the panel. I am just thinking back to my colledge days but tech has moved on since then.

Yes a diode has a very small voltage drop but why do you think they are fitted?

sshortcircuit - 2014-02-15 1:05 PM

Hope this helps you

This is interesting.

Arthur

Yes a diode has a very small voltage drop but why do you think they are fitted?

Previous post suggested fitting them if more than one panel fitted. I am still exploring the options of multiple panels or one larger one.

My 3 solar panels are alldifferent outputs;

80 watt
120 watt
140 watt

I believe the diode is built into the solar panels so no need for anything else other than the regulator.

One thing to note, if you place a solar panel near the TV antenna or sat dome for example, then even the smallest shadow from the morning or evening sun will considerably reduce the output of the solar panel

sambukashot - 2014-02-15 1:41 PM

My 3 solar panels are alldifferent outputs;

80 watt

120 watt

140 watt

I believe the diode isbuilt into the solar panels so no need for anything else other than theregulator.

One thing to note, if youplace a solar panel near the TV antenna or sat dome for example, then even thesmallest shadow from the morning or evening sun will considerably reduce theoutput of the solar panel

Excellent, thank you. I'll check out panels with diode built inArthur

Hope this helps you

This is interesting.

Arthur

Normal low power silicon diode drops 0.6v high power ones can drop upto a volt for Solar Panels you use Schottky diodes which only drop 0.3 - 0.4 volts. as Solar panels give out 16 - 21 volts not going to worry you as you only need 15 - 17 volts into the Solar Regulator for it to work, some regulators like the Schaudt will work down to 13 v boosting the voltage when required.

JudgeMental - 2014-02-11 4:21 PMI might get a panel on new van..can anyone point me in the direction af a reliable and effective make please...

Hi Judge, IMO I don't think you can get more reliable than Bosch, have a look here...Prices vary. hope its of some help.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xbosch++12+v+solar+panels&_nkw=bosch++12+v+solar+panels&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Archived