Vans with extending washroom

candapack

It would be helpful if you defined what sort of "extending washroom" you have in mind.

Over the years there have been all sorts of odd washroom arrangements in motorhomes to improve washroom usability. Currently these include sliding/swinging toilets and washbasins, and sliding tambour doors that can be used to surround a shower-tray that's effectively outside the washroom itself. The latter arrangement has been used by Adria, Hymer, Globecar/Possl and other motorhome converters and an example is shown in the 4th photo here

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/Motorhomes/Reviews/Motorhomes/Hymer-Car-372-motorhome-review/_ch1_rw1232_pg1

and described as follows

"WASHROOM

The clever plastic tambour wall in the Hymer 372’s washroom is quite wonderful piece of design.

-- Two large tambour sections slide out from the side of the washroom compartment, to enclose the shower tray that occupies the floor space in the centre of the conversion.

-- Because the walls of the washroom cubicle are made up of the tambour doors, there’s no space to fit a showerhead retainer, so you’ll have to keep hold of this or rest it on the floor.

-- The showerhead itself is just the pull-out head of the faucet for the washbasin, so you have to tuck this back into its stem when you’ve finished your shower.

-- The rest of the washroom looks very upmarket, with its wood-effect panelling, electric-flush toilet, several storage lockers, plus an opening frosted window."

Other variations are shown here

http://f.dichamp.pagesperso-orange.fr/bourget.htm

Some of the tambour-door arrangements will allow the toilet to be used with just one door pulled across: with others there will be insufficient space for toilet-duties when the door is closed. In such cases there's clearly a potential 'privacy' issue.

Fair point Derek. I was referring to the ones you mention in the first part of your post, with tambour doors enclosing a shower tray in the centre of the van.

I.e., what is now often seen in 6.4m. PVC's of continental origin (Adria, Globecar, Hymer to name some), but not yet ( as far as I know) in UK vans.

Cheers,

Guest JudgeMental
candapack - 2014-02-14 8:59 AM

Fair point Derek. I was referring to the ones you mention in the first part of your post, with tambour doors enclosing a shower tray in the centre of the van.

I.e., what is now often seen in 6.4m. PVC's of continental origin (Adria, Globecar, Hymer to name some), but not yet ( as far as I know) in UK vans.

Cheers,

Much clearer....I pick our van up next week so will have the opportunity to comment after that. I managed even when I was 17 stone (now 15) in the tiny Adria shower room, so while these are a bit more roomy, I have mixed feelings re rattling as cant abide it! But from talking to other owners it doesn't appear to be an issue ...And I certainly would not change a van just to get one of these arrangements...

As for UK vans not adopting it, not surprised as they are away in the dark ages......

maybe canvas opinion on globecar/Possl forum, here:

http://globecar.forumatic.com/index.php?sid=f572b3bc6619b0c9ad1a4ec01dbcf85b

We've had ours nearly 3 years 8-) blimey how time flies, we intend to keep it about 10 years (well thats just a rough target) I think that shows how much we like it.

At this stage I should point out that if we are on site and there's a decent washroom we will use that but have done the same with fixed washrooms as we like long hot showers and are a bit weary of filling the van with masses of steam.

I'll try and list the pluss's and minus's, but bear in mind I'm not very good at that, often missing things.

The biggest plus in our layout is how much it opens up the layout, a big plus due to gf's claustrophobia (not apparent in a T25 :-S ), there's still a 'pinch point' by the dinette seat back, but the fridge and cupboard opposite the washroom are much easier to access compared to a fixed washroom layout.

For toilet use we have only ever used the one (non rolled) part of sliding door, sliding it halfway isolates the bedroom from the toilet/front of van, sliding it fully around isolates the front of van from the toilet/bedroom, using it this way is as easy or even easier than using a hinged door, so there you are in daytime sat on the toilet with the door slid fully around and open to back of van, when someone walks past the van, slightly disconcerting at first until you realise they can't see in the blacked out windows, but best coordinate with OH as you don't want the rear door opening. Whilst the toilet is in use it blocks access to fridge and front to back of van, but never found that to be a problem for a couple of minutes, BTW it is possible to use the toilet in isolation but it's a tight fit.

For sleeping preparations or dressing in morning (non showering) , this is when it really works well. A typical morning would be gf getting up first, pulling the (non rolled) door halfway, so having the washroom and entire front of van for washing/dressing, then she gets the kettle on and breakfast bits out (preperation is esensial) and opens the SLD to let the sun in (there's optimisism) then I get out of bed having the entire washroom/ rear of van for washing and dressing. In the evening it's reversed.

For showering both doors need to be deployed, this is the downside, first the floor panel is lifted and placed aside(btw I varneshed the underside of panel) the rolled up door requires a knack to open it else you will wreak it, you need to pull the end of door with right hand whilst 'pushing' flat of door with left hand, a spray of silicon twice a year might help. With both doors deployed the showerhead is pulled from sink and a curtain pulled across. first problem, nowhere to put showerhead, I've put a hook in ceiling, but showering has to be by holding showerhead, no standing under a fixed shower. The showerhead itself is trigger or fixed output, IMO using the trigger is essential, not just to save water but I think (not had it happen) that dropping the head might lead to a leak under door if it doesn't switch off. There's plenty of room to shower, esp, compared to some other vans we've used. When finishing showering wiping down the doors, whilst not esential is a good idea, Dressing is good, you slide back the 'flat' door and have the entire rear of van. I'm not sure how this reads, but showering is no problem at all esp. in comparison to other vans we've used and getting dressed afterwards is much better.

colin - 2014-02-14 11:05 AM

For sleeping preparations or dressing in morning (non showering) , this is when it really works well. A typical morning would be gf getting up first, pulling the (non rolled) door halfway, so having the washroom and entire front of van for washing/dressing, then she gets the kettle on and breakfast bits out (preperation is esensial) and opens the SLD to let the sun in (there's optimisism) then I get out of bed having the entire washroom/ rear of van for washing and dressing. In the evening it's reversed.

Thanks for the info. At present, I'm just getting some info on vans I might be interested in in the future. This layout is definitely one such.

I was wondering if the tambour doors were especially vulnerable to bashes from knees/elbows etc while showering, as they are not the sturdiest bit of kit.

Re. the bit about getting up/going to bed. Your post reads as if your gf gets up and gets everything ready for you to just rise and get dressed, then at night you go to bed and she tidies up behind you.

You want to hang on to her mate. :D

Colin, interesting post, thanks for the updaye.

I will be lookimg at the Adria 640 SPX at the NEC it has a larger fixed transverse bed, slightly larger washroom, full sized fridge freezer and an extended L-shaped lounge with 'continental' sliding/moveable table rather than the fixed to the sidewall item.

Looks good.

candapack - 2014-02-14 1:03 PM

colin - 2014-02-14 11:05 AM

Thanks for the info. At present, I'm just getting some info on vans I might be interested in in the future. This layout is definitely one such.

I was wondering if the tambour doors were especially vulnerable to bashes from knees/elbows etc while showering, as they are not the sturdiest bit of kit.

Re. the bit about getting up/going to bed. Your post reads as if your gf gets up and gets everything ready for you to just rise and get dressed, then at night you go to bed and she tidies up behind you.

You want to hang on to her mate. :D

Whilst gf might claim as much, she's not always the first up B-)

Another bonus of the layout is the door can be used to divide bedroom from rest of van, gives a little sound reduction, but of most use for keeping out light when one wants to go to sleep whilst the other stays up.

bolero boy - 2014-02-14 1:07 PM

Colin, interesting post, thanks for the updaye.

I will be lookimg at the Adria 640 SPX at the NEC it has a larger fixed transverse bed, slightly larger washroom, full sized fridge freezer and an extended L-shaped lounge with 'continental' sliding/moveable table rather than the fixed to the sidewall item.

Looks good.

Not seen that model, the Adria I saw couple of years back was an attempt to copy the Possl/Globecar like ours, but IMO the sliding doors didn't quite work out, but I think a bit of fine tuning and they would be good.

Our Winnebago Rialta has a pan in the middle of the floor that is usually covered by a removable panel.

To use the shower, there are 2 telescoping walls that pull out from the washroom, doubling its size for the duration of taking a shower.

I love this arrangement - it never made sense to me to have such a large footprint for something used a few minutes a day, especially in a small camper.

I found this YouTube video- the shower sliding mechanism is at 6:33.

JeffersonCampervan - 2014-02-14 5:54 PM

Our Winnebago Rialta has a pan in the middle of the floor that is usually covered by a removable panel.

To use the shower, there are 2 telescoping walls that pull out from the washroom, doubling its size for the duration of taking a shower.

I love this arrangement - it never made sense to me to have such a large footprint for something used a few minutes a day, especially in a small camper.

I saw a Rialta with this arrangement many years ago and I was very impressed by it the, in fact I wanted to replicate it in the ex-ambulance I converted but obviously getting the parts to do so wasn't possible, so instead I made a cubicle, like a large wardrobe, in which a porta potti toilet stood. To use the toilet the cubicle door was opened about 60 degrees into the corridor (towards the rear of the camper - important in case someone opened the rear doors!) and then a curved bar unhooked from the back of the door at the top and was then hooked onto the side wall of the cubicle thus forming a larger enclosed space - it worked a treat!

You can see the cubicle on the right of the picture. :-D

1.jpg.bbe6cdac571e728da085eca56cf926c7.jpg

As i said, will be looking at lomger 640 adria this coming week, has this arrangement. Good idea, two or three downsides, need to hold shower head......might see if an extra mounting bracket can be put in the roof other wise....not sure. Secondly, as no fixed doors, cant have shelf for shower gel etc, tho could syand on floor ok. Thirdly, i dont do shower curtains so will have to see about this one.....

Guest JudgeMental

Had a hand held, same pull out contraption in the Adria and managed. If you both want a shower you have to be economical with the water anyway so this makes sense......don't think in a camper long luxurious showers practical.....

So Chris......coming over to the light at last! They all do eventually....if you fancy saving money and happy with LHD I can help you through the process :D

Which Adria? SPX or SLX

I've never noticed the doors rattling on ours.

If you look at eddies photo you will see the shower tray stops short of toilet, this is where the curtain pulls across, this gives a good size shower compartment and I've not had the fight with curtain which you can get with some which would be a no no for me, when finished showering the options for drying/dressing include pull back curtain to have a large washroom or as we usualy do, move the tabour doors to have either the entire front or rear of van to dry and dress, it's a much better idea Imo than being in a small washroom whilst oh has the sld wide open chatting to the ' neighbours '.

JudgeMental - 2014-02-15 9:39 AM

Had a hand held, same pull out contraption in the Adria and managed. If you both want a shower you have to be economical with the water anyway so this makes sense......don't think in a camper long luxurious showers practical.....

So Chris......coming over to the light at last! They all do eventually....if you fancy saving money and happy with LHD I can help you through the process :D

Which Adria? SPX or SLX

Cheers, Eddie. Its the SPX with transverse bed.

Would still use trigger type shower head, we have one in van, use little water usually. Its just i like to have the thing put somewhere on a wall or ceiling.

Yes, looking at slimmer vans, Exsis-i or Exsis-t now on the horizon, and these come in at 2.20 ish as opposed to PVC at about 2.10cm wide.....so heading in the right direction, lol

Also, light weight, large payloads in these vans.......still the Cathargo looks nice....

artheytrate - 2014-02-16 2:06 AM

We're picking up our new Auto Sleeper Broadway FB up 1st March, this has a huge bathroom all the width of the van, full imitation tiling and extractor fan to shower, wash basin with vanity unit large wardrobe and drawer unit, and bench cassette toilet.

British made.

John.

John, if youre talking about a PVC, i can only see the Kemerton with a washroom as you describe.

The AS Broadway FB has a fixed french bed and a washroom alongside, similar to,our Bolero.

I couldnt see any AS coachbuilts with an 'along the rear' washroom.

Am i confused, probably..?..Or are you ordering the correct van, lol ;-)

It's the Broadway EB model (End Bathroom ?) that has the crossways washroom.

http://www.auto-sleepers.co.uk/coachbuilt/peugeot/models/coachbuilt-peugeot-broadway-eb

The predictable consequence of dedicating so much space to the washroom in a relatively short motorhome is that the bed has to be constructed from the lounge seats. You pays your money...

Guest JudgeMental

I thought this discussion was regarding panel van shower room arrangements...... *-)

Like Derek says using a large portion of available space on a vast washroom pretty stupid in a PVC . Some do like la Strada with separate shower, but I would prefer a bigger lounge in that example.

Archived