Tyre Pal

tonyfletcher

After having two blow outs on our motorhome, one of which was caused by a slow puncture gained as we left a site at St. Tropez in south of France, I would recommend TPMS for definite peace of mind (particularly if you don't have a spare wheel!). Whilst I don't use the Tyre Pal system myself I had extensive deliberation on this and others. My conclusion was that although the system works, probably as well as any other, I was extremely unhappy with the method of obtaining the readings from the tyre and the possibility of leakage from the now negated valve of the tyre.

I was never able to be convinced, even by the sales people at various shows, that the Tyre Pal system was as safe as the Tyresure system. I think of it this way, would you drive a vehicle with the tyre valve cores removed from the tyres and relying solely on the valve dust caps to maintain the pressure? You must make up your own mind!

I therefore opted for the Tyresure system which can be supplied AND fitted by National Tyres for much the same price (was cheaper but as Tyrepal have an offer on, Tyresure is slightly dearer) and is in my opinion inherently safer. See

http://www.national.co.uk/tyre-pressure-monitoring.aspx

In operation the systems work much the same and I have found our Tyresure system to be extremely effective, you don't (well least ways I didn't) realise how much the ambient temperature affects your tyre pressures and how much the pressure varies in use, e.g. if you set your pressures during the heat of the day in the south of France you will find they are well out in the evening or early morning, likewise change in temperature in the UK or after the vehicle has just been driven has an effect. You do therefore have to adjust the warning parameters on the unit to work with your vehicle and the conditions you are driving in.

Bas

Basil - 2014-02-18 1:40 PMAfter having two blow outs on our motorhome, one of which was caused by a slow puncture gained as we left a site at St. Tropez in south of France, I would recommend TPMS for definite peace of mind (particularly if you don't have a spare wheel!). Whilst I don't use the Tyre Pal system myself I had extensive deliberation on this and others. My conclusion was that although the system works, probably as well as any other, I was extremely unhappy with the method of obtaining the readings from the tyre and the possibility of leakage from the now negated valve of the tyre.I was never able to be convinced, even by the sales people at various shows, that the Tyre Pal system was as safe as the Tyresure system. I think of it this way, would you drive a vehicle with the tyre valve cores removed from the tyres and relying solely on the valve dust caps to maintain the pressure? You must make up your own mind! I therefore opted for the Tyresure system which can be supplied AND fitted by National Tyres for much the same price (was cheaper but as Tyrepal have an offer on, Tyresure is slightly dearer) and is in my opinion inherently safer. Seehttp://www.national.co.uk/tyre-pressure-monitoring.aspxIn operation the systems work much the same and I have found our Tyresure system to be extremely effective, you don't (well least ways I didn't) realise how much the ambient temperature affects your tyre pressures and how much the pressure varies in use, e.g. if you set your pressures during the heat of the day in the south of France you will find they are well out in the evening or early morning, likewise change in temperature in the UK or after the vehicle has just been driven has an effect. You do therefore have to adjust the warning parameters on the unit to work with your vehicle and the conditions you are driving in.Bas

In response to the 'red' above:

Variance of tyre pressures will always be temperature related.  I used to go track riding on my motorcycles and always set my tyre pressures 'cold'.  This was to allow for the increase in pressure when out on track by working the tyres hard thereby increasing the tyre carcass temperature considerably and consequently the pressure.  Riding at speeds of up to 150+ mph you don't want wrongly inflated tyres.

Tyre pressures are intended to be set 'cold' and have a built in tolerance for such as 'rolling' temperature and ambient temperature increase/decrease.  Even the weight of the vehicle will have some effect on the temperature increase as you drive.

THis earlier thread may be of interest as it contains a comment from a TyrePal representative

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Hints-and-Tips/Tyre-Pressure-Temperature-Monitors/21702/#M242079

This Wikipedia entry deals with cold inflation pressure for tyres

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_inflation_pressure

(I believe that the inflation-pressure recommendations provided by tyre manufacturers assume an ambient temperature of 20°C.)

Having the tyres inflated with nitrogen, which our tyre supplier does as standard, will give very much more stable tyre pressures which is why it is used to fill racing car tyres. He tells me it is because the

process of producing the nitrogen ensures that the moisture content is very low and it is this moisture that is mainly responsible for changes in tyre pressure at different temperatures. The secondary advantage is that the tyres retain their pressure for longer. We don't do that many track days with our motorhome but it does seem to be true when we do.

I have Tyrepal 215 fitted to my home and trailer and used it last year during a 14 week trip to France. The comments re establishing workable and safe pressure parameters pertinent to temp are correct but limits were soon set ; these had to be varied once after being set.

Initially my attention was drawn to the monitor but I soon forgot about it by simply listening for an audible alarm which did happen during the initial stages. The knowledge that the system worked and I didn't need to work at it was a big plus and , to us, a confidence booster - especially with towing a car on a trailer.

Another plus to Tyrepal is that once parked-up the monitor "goes to sleep" but once per hour it monitors the sensors- in case of a slow puncture- and if appropriate sounds an alarm.

I accept it is good practice to check tyre pressures but with this system it does it for you and if necessary you can adjust the pressures accordingly. I found this most helpful when about to leave a site.

The comments whereby a sensor is equated to a dust cap is inappropriate: examination ,handling and fitting removed any doubt from my mind. Extensive use of the system qualified this!

One tip: if using the sensors with steel valves it is a good idea to coat the valve stem with silicon grease.

A fairly expensive system but well worth the outlay.

Frank McAuley - 2014-02-18 8:20 PM

The comments whereby a sensor is equated to a dust cap is inappropriate: examination ,handling and fitting removed any doubt from my mind. Extensive use of the system qualified this!

As I said the OP must make up their own mind about this but please would you explain to me how it is anything but a glorified dust cap, when I 'examined, handled and tried fitting' the sensors I came to a different conclusion to you and felt it was a dust cap that held the tyre valve off of its seating. It fits the same way, it has a seal the same way and it locks the same way as many aftermarket dust caps you can buy.

This has been the main problem for me when looking at the Tyre Pal system, that anything that holds the proper valve off its seating to register the pressure in the tyre is not in my opinion very satisfactory and could be the cause of a problem that it is monitoring for.

I therefore do not believe my comments to be inappropriate at all, but as I said to the OP, don't accept anyone else's view make up your own mind whether you feel it is satisfactory or not, everything else is just in the opinion of the person giving the information.

Bas

Archived