Really Useful Motorhome Accesories - what do you suggest?

johnlc

I've posted that we have just got our first motorhome this weekend.

After 2 nights in it having levelling ramps and a space effective way of storing (probably melamine) crockery are two accessories that spring immediately to mind. We'll probably go to the exhibition at the NEC this week.

What accessories do you find really helpful in using your motorhome?

Thanks

Hi and hope you really enjoy your new motorhome.

The gadget we find really useful is a little folding stainless steel toaster . You used to be able yo get them at the shows on the Skillet stand but I don't think they are there now. However Gelert make one and they are only about a fiver and take up very little room.

A couple of rolls of the rubber mesh you can buy anywhere stops rattles :-D you will find lots of uses for it .

The smallest cooking equipment you can manage without cumbersome long handles, if you can find them, I bought a small pressure cooker just last week from Aldi and brought back into the house my stack able steamer pans ;-) Storage jars for tea/coffee/sugar square containers for biscuits/cake etc. rather than a container I bought a Bread bag from Lakeland and hang it up ANYWHERE (lol) you will soon know what you need after the first time away ;-) we all have different needs OH and a couple of lightweight chairs if you haven't already got them! a small 10ltr white plastic bottle for when you need to top up the fresh water !

Guest Had Enough

A large watering can. If on a site you can top up your water very easily with a few trips to the tap. Saves moving the 'van to fill up. Similarly a folding bucket so you can drain the grey water without moving.

I have a large motorhome garage with lots of storage space and I actually have two watering cans, which halves the journeys to the tap. I hang them from the roof of the garage so they're taking up what would be empty space.

The three best extras you can have which really add value to your MH experience are ....

Refillable gas system

Solar panel(s)

2nd (or 3rd) leisure battery.

Forget melamine cups and a thing to dangle from your mirror, spend your hard earned on some thing really useful.

Good luck.

We have four we wouldn't be without and will always have on any van we have,

1. TPMS (tyre pressure monitoring system).

2. Cruise Control. (absolute leg saver on long journeys)

3. Sat Nav. (saves your marriage and stops you getting lost).

4. Corelle crockery. (melamine is pretty awful in use and scratches and cant be heated)

5. Gaslow. (or other refillable system.)

Although listed we give them equal priority, just our opinion.

Bas

Basil - 2014-02-18 1:46 PM

We have four we wouldn't be without and will always have on any van we have,

1. TPMS (tyre pressure monitoring system).

2. Cruise Control. (absolute leg saver on long journeys)

3. Sat Nav. (saves your marriage and stops you getting lost).

4. Corelle crockery. (melamine is pretty awful in use and scratches and cant be heated)

5. Gaslow. (or other refillable system.)

Although listed we give them equal priority, just our opinion.

Bas

And maybe a calculator Bas? :D

Basil - 2014-02-18 3:05 PM

Why would you need a calculator? We both have one of those built into our smartphones, any case there will always be the one on the computer or tablet!! B-) B-) B-)

Bas

Either you're missing something, or I am.

It was just because of a difficulty you appeared to have counting up to 4 (or 5?) in your previous post. :D

Neat Saucepans  that stack are useful, they can be bought at John Lewis, but Carrefour much cheaper.   My set is 4 but the little one isn't a great deal of use.  I have bought also a lid, which is a veg drainer also and an extra handle, as it's a bit of a fiddle taking on and off when everthing's cooked.

http://online.carrefour.fr/maison/tefal/set-3-casseroles-1-poignee-amovible-tefal-ingenio-5-16-18-20-cm-figue_a21776505_frfr.html#srcid=11068

I also buy packets of uncle bens rice that just need a microwave or a couple of minutes in a saucepan, likewise ready cooked potatoes from French supermarkets.  They all stop too much steam in the motorhome on winters evenings.  I could go on and on and on..........

One of those small single burner gas cookers for cooking outside - Breakfast cooking makes a hell of a mess! (or a petrol version if traveling overseas a lot so you don't need gas canisters)

Bikes, folding type for loading inside or normal ones on a rack outside. If you find a place you want to stay for a few days it's good not to have to shift the van for short journeys.

Wine

Some self amalgalating rubber tape and some 3M Velcro sticky fixer pads. Tape is useful for quickly fixing leaky pipes etc and the fixer pads are ideal for sticking up Co2 alarms or other stuff. Our bathroom door rattled a bit as well so I stuck a few on there to make a tighter seal.

Then again I drive a British van so rattles and leaks are always a priority. (lol)

Gas low - great

Solar panel - great in summer rubbish in winter

Camos Dome - sat TV - debatible now they have moved all the satellites

Scooter and rack - Priceless.

Tow rope, if you get bogged down there are plenty of 4 x 4 on sites only to eager to give you a tug, but no one ever as a rope.

Moroccan Matt, for the awning,they are at all the shows, plastic Matt that's light weight, cleans really easily.

But don't get carried away you won't use the majority of stuff you buy.

Roy

As far as I'm concerned the obvious winner is a good wife. Mine looks after me, does the cooking ( obviously not the BBQ that's a mans job), does the washing up whilst I take the dog out for her evening walk, makes sure we don't leave anything we may need at home and keeps me warm in the evenings and at night. Without her help I'd never manage to back the motorhome up our very difficult drive.

Bread trays cut out the bottoms and cut down the middle lengthways to place under your wheels when on grass to prevent getting bogged down , Gas-it refillable system a lot less expensive than Gaslow , Taylor-Made screen cover cheaper than Silverscreens , but equally as good .                                                                        

Had Enough - 2014-02-18 1:12 PM

A large watering can. If on a site you can top up your water very easily with a few trips to the tap. Saves moving the 'van to fill up. Similarly a folding bucket so you can drain the grey water without moving.

I have a large motorhome garage with lots of storage space and I actually have two watering cans, which halves the journeys to the tap. I hang them from the inside of my head so they're taking up what would be empty space.

Great idea Frank. :D

Thanks for all the suggestions - really helpful. Fortunately, the van we bought had some of these already e.g. solar panel; 2 leisure batteries, external silver screens etc.

Suggestions related to cooking implements are especially helpful but any other ideas gratefully received.

A tightly closed wallet.

I can do without some of the things mentioned so far there is a risk that you will buy things that have solved problems for others but you might not have the same problem. Wait until you have identified a potential problem, then seek advice.

However, to answer your question, I would say tea towels to minimise rattles [as well as the already suggested rubber matting]. We use cut down tea towels to separate plates and dishes and for the hob. I'm also tempted to say sewing machine because my missus is a dab hand at running up quick fabric solutions at home.

All the things mentioned so far will solve problems but why look to solve a problem you don't have?

1) Slow cooker, about £20 from Tesco

2) Hoze connectors http://www.screwfix.com/p/hose-connector-set-5-pieces/71488

3) 10L watering can and water container to save disinfecting the main tank every trip

4) Portable electric oven (for the longer trips when on EHU) as an example http://www.ogormans.co.uk/acatalog/Igenix-IG7015-Table-Top-Mini-Oven-IG7015.html?gclid=COGMxcnW17wCFdQPtAodQmAAgg

Brock - 2014-02-18 7:44 PM

A tightly closed wallet.

I can do without some of the things mentioned so far there is a risk that you will buy things that have solved problems for others but you might not have the same problem. Wait until you have identified a potential problem, then seek advice.

However, to answer your question, I would say tea towels to minimise rattles [as well as the already suggested rubber matting]. We use cut down tea towels to separate plates and dishes and for the hob.../cropped/...

All the things mentioned so far will solve problems but why look to solve a problem you don't have?

Those were my thought exactly... ;-)

..and looking back at some of "must have" tat that we bought when we had our first van(stuff that is now crammed in the attic!), I would certainly advise against going to a MH show, with the intension of buying things you don't yet(and may never)need...

Having said all that.we've found that(along with tea towels etc)those self adhesive,felt furniture pads are handy to take out some of the "play" of cupboard doors and draws and help stop some of the rattles...

Also a couple of large car sponges, cut down to fit the door shelves in the fridge, are handy to stop bottles/jars shuttling up'n'down...

We've also found these REALLY handy for when pitching on/getting off "soft" ground:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand+Tools/Ground+Drainage/Ground+Guard+Single+Tile/d10/sd3226/p94411

Archived