Really Useful Motorhome Accesories - what do you suggest?

johnlc

All of the above have merit but I would suggest you don't rush to buy accessories "in case you need them".

Take your time and assess what you really need. The following however are basics :-

Hook up lead

Gas bottles

Hose or water carrier (with funnel)

Ramps

Silver Screen

Fire Extinguisher

Smoke Alarm

CO alarm

A box of spare fuses bulbs etc is a good idea.

A waste water tank (small and make sure it fits under your waste tap) can save moving the van on site.

Best of luck with your new hobby.

Blimey with all the junk you lot are suggesting John will have to get a tent to sleep in there won't be any room in the van. (lol)

bolero boy - 2014-02-18 1:45 PM

The three best extras you can have which really add value to your MH experience are ....

Refillable gas system

Solar panel(s)

2nd (or 3rd) leisure battery.

Forget melamine cups and a thing to dangle from your mirror, spend your hard earned on some thing really useful.

Good luck.

Chris's suggestions above are the most sensible, apart from those use the van and find out what you really need. As for someone's suggestion of an electric oven & slow cooker why on earth would you want those when you have perfectly good gas cooking facilities. If it needs mains power we don't want it in our van don't see the point.

P.S. Agree with Roger on the Gin & Tonic & if using in the winter external Silver Screens a must.

Suggestion of electric oven and slow cooker based on how were use the van i.e throughout the winter when we typically have EHU for heating so might as well use their electricity for cooking as well.

Slow cooker useful as we are often out all day walking or cycling and it's nice to come back to a meal ready for you.

We have plenty of storage and payload so works for us.

A wide, shallow, bucket -

for ferrying things to the van at home,

to contain any washing up en route when time is tight or husband just doesn't want to wait or wash up himself (sits safely in the shower when travelling),

at sites to carry washing up, tea towels, etc to the wash-up and as a washing up bowl,

for taking things out of the van at the end of trip, then being filled with all those things that need to go back into the van again.

Also useful as a bucket and has doubled as baby bath- but not recently.

Have great fun and don't be too tempted to spend money until you know you really would use something.

candapack - 2014-02-18 3:18 PM

Basil - 2014-02-18 3:05 PM

Why would you need a calculator? We both have one of those built into our smartphones, any case there will always be the one on the computer or tablet!! B-) B-) B-)

Bas

Either you're missing something, or I am.

It was just because of a difficulty you appeared to have counting up to 4 (or 5?) in your previous post. :D

You are absolutely right, I was missing something, one of the problems with editing and adding to the list without re-reading what I wrote! Well spotted that man!! :$ :$ :$

Bas

A trip log. Invaluable for saving marital disputes about when we were last in...... Or where did we go next...or how far is it from....Plus of course, recording good campsites and the facilities, stopping or picnic places en route etc. We use an A5 ring binder, hand write it roughly, and type up a trip when we get home to keep on file.

Enjoy your motor homing!

Charabanc - 2014-02-19 3:02 PMA wide, shallow, bucket - for ferrying things to the van at home, to contain any washing up en route when time is tight or husband just doesn't want to wait or wash up himself (sits safely in the shower when travelling), at sites to carry washing up, tea towels, etc to the wash-up and as a washing up bowl,for taking things out of the van at the end of trip, then being filled with all those things that need to go back into the van again.Also useful as a bucket and has doubled as baby bath- but not recently.Have great fun and don't be too tempted to spend money until you know you really would use something.

Why does he sit in the shower then?  Hope you've got seat belts in there..  :-D

Quite a lot of the above may well come in handy, you will find out which when you have used the van more, it is best to buy it after you find you need it rather than before in case you need it.

My personal must haves include a couple of old bicycle inner tubes, which apart from extending waste water hoses or joining them together, or stretching over the drain tap that you don't have the fitting for, can also be cut into bits to make water proof covers, or anti chafe pads or whatever. I also have a big roll of duct tape, and a head torch. One of my specials is a coloured led light, connected to the ignition, which is secured out of sight under the facia, and gently lights up what would otherwise be the vast expanse of blackness where our feet are when we drive at night and turns what CG used to refer to as the black hole into a pleasant place.

AGD

Brock - 2014-02-18 7:44 PM..........................there is a risk that you will buy things that have solved problems for others but you might not have the same problem. Wait until you have identified a potential problem, then seek advice......................

Oh, how I agree with this! Take your van for a few trips, and work out how you think you will use it in future. Sometimes, after a few nights away, one feels one's perspectives change! Ambitions grow, and different avenues seem to open up.

Then, decide what doesn't quite work, and what can be done to improve it, and what you need but don't have so need to get, and proceed from there. You can easily load a van with lots of redundant clutter, all of which absorbs space and payload, both of which are usually at a premium.

Final thought, load it fully (meaning with absolutely everything you would normally have on board for a trip, including full water, full fuel, all passengers), and take it to a local weighbridge and weight it, checking the individual axle loads, and verify that it is not overloaded, and that both axles are within their legal working limits. Then, you will have some idea of how much leeway you have for extras.

ColinB - 2014-02-22 8:59 AM

It's a very individual choice. After seven years on the road we would not be without our cosy inflatable awning, electric folding tandem or spin-drier. But have never needed ramps, television or a watering can. Colin.

That's interesting, Colin. Where do you get an electric folding tandem from?

G

Guest pelmetman
johnlc - 2014-02-18 12:24 PM

I've posted that we have just got our first motorhome this weekend.

After 2 nights in it having levelling ramps and a space effective way of storing (probably melamine) crockery are two accessories that spring immediately to mind. We'll probably go to the exhibition at the NEC this week.

What accessories do you find really helpful in using your motorhome?

Thanks

Instead of buying tickets to shows..............buy a ferry ticket ;-)

Archived