Fiat Bessacarr E410 2011

Harcourt3

Looking at swopping from our Chausson Allegro 82 fixed bed ( originally bought in France and now registered in the UK.) to a Fiat Bessacarr E410. Its only done 5600 miles so feel a bit wary as to why. Anyone out there with or had one of these who can give an opinion on the van and the low mileage.

I wouldn't worry too much about the mileage, many vans are bought, then spend most of their lives parked up not being used. A lifestyle dream unfullfilled.

We have a lot of 'Anti-UK' motorhome 'Zealots' on here. If it suits you, AND is not Damp (do get it checked BEFORE you buy) then get it.

I wouldn't mind a European manufactured Motorhome, I just hate their layouts(pullman dinettes and fixed tables) and lack of basics like Spark Ignition for the hob. In the 21st century, that is just inexcusable. Not a 'Zealot' though, if one came along that we liked, we would get it, where it was made wouldn't count. Ray

Low mileage van be aware of "Sleepy Van Syndrome" worse thing you can do to a vehicle is leave it sitting unused, can end up with all sorts of problems, clutch, thrust release bearing, brakes are prone to sticking, tyres harden up and crack.

P.S. My German van has electronic ignition on the hob, has an oven and I would never buy a van without a fixed bed and fixed table.

As has been said - low mileage is not uncommon, an unfulfilled dream maybe?

But more importantly - check for damp/build quality - pay particular attention to the underside.

Look around, pipe and cable and other exit points through the floor, look at the ply floor underneath the rear chassis extensions.

Then go back and look under your Chausson

IMO Bessacar high on internal 'bling' - but shoddy where it counts.

Harcourt3 - 2014-02-19 11:33 PM.............Its only done 5600 miles so feel a bit wary as to why. ........................

Do you know, or can you contact, the original owner, to find out why it has averaged less than 3,000 miler per year? It may have done a lot of shortish trips, so been used regularly throughout its life, which should be OK. Or, it may have done most of its mileage in its first year, and then just stood, possibly due to illness, or even death, or because its owners began to feel motorhoming was not what suited them. This is where you need, IMO, to be more cautious - especially if it was standing unused in the open. That is when the tyres will be likely to suffer, but also brake discs and possibly other mechanical components that are usually in motion. It still doesn't mean it will have problems, but it may mean you will need to buy new tyres and/or possibly brake components before it drives as it should. Nothing that can't be fixed, but it will cost some money to put right.

I would suggest you get your head under the bonnet and look catefully for signs of water ingress into the engine bay, look around the main electronic components, but especially on the top of the engine. If it has sat for a year or so with a puddle on its cylinder-head that may spell trouble with the injectors which will be likely to have rusted-in.

As suggested, look carafully under that van, especially at the undersides of the habitation area floor where areas of ply are exposed. There have been a number in instances of Swift vans developing rot in the floor, due to poor design and construction techniques. Look closely fore and aft of the rear wheel arches. Take a small electricians' screwdriver, and probe the ply in these areas. If you find the ply soft or spongy, run a mile!

We have a 2011 Starfire the Autocruise badged version of the E410. We have been very pleased with it. It is comfortable, well equiped, and at just less than 6m long usable as transport when away. I believe the oft reported damp problems refer primarily to the earlier models but would echo all the advice on checking. The mileage is low but not completely unusual but it would be a good idea to insist on a full mechanical service (preferably at a Fiat dealer to ensure any updates are included) before purchase. If buying from a dealer camp somewhere local to the dealer for a few days and use every onboard facility so any problems can be quickly put right. I am sure you will like the vehicle so if it passes all the checks give it a whirl.

It would seem that some people think only british vans have damp problems, I know several people that wish this were true. I bought a Bessacarr E425 new in 2000. it has no damp issues and has been trouble free for 57000 miles and nine trips to spain. At almost 14 years old I still consider it my new van.the L shape lounge suits our needs and I trade 5 minutes bed making to gain lounge space. Others have reasons for their chosen layouts,i don't try to persuade others to my view,this is my third van over thirty years.Any in Torquay area, I have good service from Halfords Autocentre.

Agreed. Most folk own only a handful of vans in their lives, and those who have owned many usually started their motorhoming way back, so speak of techniques no longer used. The "I've never had a problem" comments always surface as evidence that this or that make is OK - often followed by others saying they have had problems. Most vans, wherever made, are OK - otherwise the maker would be out of business vary quickly.

This is not a case of perpetual perfection versus perpetual imperfection, but of probability. I doubt any of us revel in the idea that UK vans are less well made then those made elsewhere, I know I don't. I suspect we all would all prefer the UK to have the reputation for consistently building the highest quality vans in Europe, I know I would.

Reality, however, dictates that one assesses the probabilities when buying these things - they are far too expensive to play volunteer guinea pig for manufacturers who are trying to hit the most profitable balance between quality and construction cost. Where a manufacturer has demonstrated, consistently, over a number of years, that his products are among the least liable to give trouble, and who has demonstrated that when they do, he fixes it quickly, properly, and without quibbling, he'll get my money wherever he "lives". Supporting one's national products only has virtue when the product is worthy. Otherwise, we merely fool ourselves, and struggle to export our goods to others who don't see them through a "Union Jack" prism.

Harcourt3 - 2014-02-19 11:33 PM

Looking at swopping from our Chausson Allegro 82 fixed bed ( originally bought in France and now registered in the UK.) to a Fiat Bessacarr E410. Its only done 5600 miles so feel a bit wary as to why. Anyone out there with or had one of these who can give an opinion on the van and the low mileage.

If the Bessacarr has the 100bhp motor and 5-speed gearbox, you might find that, when fully-loaded, the performance will be uninspiring.

Much will depend on age of the E410 -if pre-Euro 4 (2006/7) it will be the 2.0l 94bhp with a MAM of 3300kg., so a small payload. If Euro 4 ( post 2007 to 2011 ?) it would be the 2.0l 100bhp & MAM increased to3500kg. If Euro 5 (post 2011) it would be the 2.3L 130bhp but again 3500kg MAM. Ensure the floor area at the rear step is checked for Damp. If the underfloor is covered with plastic the risk factor is at it's greatest & would need to be removed. (usually Euro 4 & Euro 5 models 2007 to 2011) See the "Swift-talk" forum for reports.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived