Fitting a bike rack to a 2014 Peugeot PVC ??

mike 202

Mel B - 2014-02-21 11:08 PM

candapack - 2014-02-21 10:49 PM

Finally, the rack. Like others, I have heard about damage caused to doors, so why risk it? Plus, with a PVC, I would have thought one of the great benefits is being able to swing the back doors wide open. So I would definitely go for a towball mounted rack, we have one for our car that folds down even with the bikes attached so you could still use the doors. Or the busbiker suggested by Eddie (and which he must be getting commission on by now :D ).

And you would have the added benefit of being able to tow a trailer when you realise all your stuff doesn't fit inside the van. :-D

We do swing the back doors open, a lot! Having the bike rack on the door doesn't make any difference to this at all, you just have to remember to not clunk yourself as you open the door from the outside! *-)

I know the type of 'fold down' rack that you are talking about for use with a car but they are meant to be used with a tailgate that rises, this wouldn't work on a Fiat/Citroen/Peugeot PVC as the doors open sideways and the folded down rack is unlikely to be low enough for the doors to clear it. There's then the extra weight of a towbar in addition to the rack and bikes, so this needs to be considered too against payload/axle weight. The rack that Eddie has got is a different take and I can understand having it for putting heavier electric bikes on, but it seems very 'over engineered' for just putting standard bikes on, not to mention the cost.

As for not being able to fit stuff in a PVC, it obviously depends on what you get and what you want to take away with you, but we don't have a problem with ours and we take a LOT of stuff away with us, more than most, including: 2 inflatable canoes (not toy ones), 2 paddles, life jackets (for us and dogs), waterproof barrel and bag, large stirrup hand pump, clothing & 2 types of canoe shoes, self-inflating cushions (to keep our bums out of the inevitable bit of water that gets in!), 2 folding trolleys and straps, dog food, biscuits etc, this is all in addition to the normal stuff we take too ... and more besides! Plus we still have loads of room to spare! As soon as we spotted our current camper at a show we were very interested in it but didn't buy it there and then as it was the first times we'd seen that particular layout and we needed to satisfy ourselves that it would do what we wanted, then when we saw it a few months later again, we were able to confirm it was definitely going to work for us ... and it has.

Fair dos Mel, you have the PVC experience which I don't.

I mentioned the bit about the doors just because a previous poster said it was a bit of a pain.

I think our bike rack would fold down low enough to allow rear doors to open, but I'll need to see it in situ again to confirm that - or otherwise!

You do carry a lot of stuff, but your van is a bit bigger than a Symbol. And you may be happy to move stuff about as required - I don't know if you have to - but I know it wouldn't be for everyone, including me.

I've had lots of good advice since joining this forum, I just want to give some back, which in this case is just - think very carefully. We were quite close to signing on the dotted line before we realised that, for us, it would have been a mistake.

Cheers,

Ahhhh. The old panel vans does not have enough storage issue is raised again. It's a fallacy. And for the sake of argument let's say there isn't enough space. Do people use every single thing they take away with them? I doubt it.

Arguably, the only reason people believe that a panel van is insufficient storage wise is because they need a huge amount of room to carry every conceivable spare engine part, more chairs and tables than they will ever need and stuff they will never use. I've even seen people carry with them a garage full of food. The tendency is for people to fill their vans up to the amount of storage available and even more probably to the point where their vans are overloaded and unlawful. If there is less space - take less. It's not difficult.

As for the bike racks I have seen one on a panel van that folds down allowing access to the rear doors. My THULE towbar rack doesn't do this but when on site I remove the bikes and then the rack which takes all of 5 seconds.

Dear all,

Thank you very much for your comments, so much to think about and not just the bike rack. Towbar mount seems the way to go.

The wife suggested a top box on the factory supplied roof rails, but then we would need to carry some form of ladder to get stuff in and out.

So we have now added a lot of thoughts and questions to our original Rose Tinted view of the Symbol.

Thank goodness we walked away from the deal being offered at the Birmingham NEC this week. I guess there may be more questions re downsizing, but in the meantime we have not made an expensive error.

Mike

Mike88 - 2014-02-22 8:06 AM

Ahhhh. The old panel vans does not have enough storage issue is raised again. It's a fallacy. And for the sake of argument let's say there isn't enough space. Do people use every single thing they take away with them? I doubt it.

Arguably, the only reason people believe that a panel van is insufficient storage wise is because they need a huge amount of room to carry every conceivable spare engine part, more chairs and tables than they will ever need and stuff they will never use. I've even seen people carry with them a garage full of food. The tendency is for people to fill their vans up to the amount of storage available and even more probably to the point where their vans are overloaded and unlawful. If there is less space - take less. It's not difficult.

As for the bike racks I have seen one on a panel van that folds down allowing access to the rear doors. My THULE towbar rack doesn't do this but when on site I remove the bikes and then the rack which takes all of 5 seconds.

I'm not looking to start an argument, just countering a view, but who said a panel van has insufficient space?

It depends on what you are used to - it all depends on the size of the van and your definition of comfort and self sufficiency I guess!

What has been said is to be very aware of the limitations of space in a much smaller van, and particularly a panel van which does not have the coachbuilt's square sides, raised floor and resultant spacious lockers.

When we downsized to a 6.0 metre van a heck of lot of 'stuff' we always carried 'just in case' but rarely if ever used had to be jettisoned and we don't very often miss it - but it can and does happen!

It is unwise to to remove bikes and racks when using Aires and unless it is locked and secure if you can remove it in 5 secs so could any ne'er do well.

That aside I agree with your comments!!!

Tracker - 2014-02-22 5:30 PM

Gram - 2014-02-22 5:15 PM

Tracker - 2014-02-22 4:03 PM

In which case why takes the wheels off?

To prevent the wheels from obscuring the rear lights.

G

Isn't it easier to raise the rack so you don't need to faff about?

Only if your the jolly green giant, it takes seconds to remove the front wheels from our bikes.

colin - 2014-02-22 7:11 PM

Tracker - 2014-02-22 5:30 PM

Gram - 2014-02-22 5:15 PM

Tracker - 2014-02-22 4:03 PM

In which case why takes the wheels off?

To prevent the wheels from obscuring the rear lights.

G

Isn't it easier to raise the rack so you don't need to faff about?

Only if your the jolly green giant, it takes seconds to remove the front wheels from our bikes.

Are you loosing the plot Rich ... not like you to 'forget' earlier postings and the reasons why things were done in a certain way .... :D

Archived