Fitting a bike rack to a 2014 Peugeot PVC ??

mike 202

I am thinking of downsizing to a Peugeot PVC in particular the Autosleeper Symbol and I was wondering how a bike rack ( Capacity 2 bikes) is fitted to the Rear doors. I realise that a dealer will say anything is possible, but I would rather rely on comments from forum members. Dont really want any holes drilled into the doors or be unable to open at least one of the rear doors.

Thanks Cuys/Gals

Mike

mike 202 - 2014-02-20 5:44 PM

I am thinking of downsizing to a Peugeot PVC in particular the Autosleeper Symbol and I was wondering how a bike rack ( Capacity 2 bikes) is fitted to the Rear doors. I realise that a dealer will say anything is possible, but I would rather rely on comments from forum members. Dont really want any holes drilled into the doors or be unable to open at least one of the rear doors.

Thanks Cuys/Gals

Mike

I've got a feeling the rack will only fit to the driver's side door meaning that rear view is restricted. The best bet is a towbar mounted rack but that can be expensive when you take the approx £400 for supply and fitting etc of the bar into account.

It really depends on the van layout and an individuals annoyance threshold. Having worked in a MH dealership I have fitted several Fiamma racks and although they recommend drilling,its seldom done.

If you think that you will be using the rear doors frequently you may find it rather annoying manouvreing around the rack when using the doors.

And I've read several reports of racks fitted to rear doors actually damaging the doors resulting in costly repairs.

As has been said above go for a decent quality tow bar mounted rack which can tilt or swing away to allow access to the rear doors without unloading.

Keith.

I'm with all of the above.

A towbar mounted rack is the answer. Remove it while on site to easily use the rear doors.

Towbar + electrics kit cost less thah £180 and would be easy to fit. Check out the instructions on the various websites selling them.

The downside to fitting a towbar when the vehicle has reversing sensors is that you lose the support under the bumper top surface. The bumper then 'gives' if you use it as a step.

Problem may be fixable with a bit of judicious packing.

G

We have an Autocruise Accent PVC (2012) and have a door mounted bike rack (part of the purchase deal) and haven't had any problems with it. Whilst it would take full sized bikes, we actually have 2 folding bikes which we can put on it, however one reason for having folders is that with our layout we have a front half-dinette and also a rear lounge (very unusual in a PVC conversion!) which can be left set-up as a bed. Under the centre of the bed is an area in 2 sections, the lower part contains our 2 inflatable canoes, including paddles etc, and the upper part takes our 2 folding bikes, so we have the option of leaving them there or putting them on the back if we're using them regularly (or need to use the storage space in the van for something else ... we like going to car boot sales ... :D ).

We don't have a problem lifting the bikes up, not even the full sized ones, and don't need a ladder, but it really depends on how tall you are and how much you can lift! I'm around 5'4" and can lift them up myself onto the rack, however, we find it is easier for both of us to do it, one holding the bike and the other ensuring that the wheels go into the runners as the front ones can tend to wiggle around a bit when you lift the bike up.

We did consider a tow-bar mounted rack but the cost would have been a lot more and it would have prevented us opening the rear doors which is something that we really like to do. As we use aires or wild camp removing a towbar mounted rack and putting it back on all the time was also not practical.

As for seeing through the rear, we have a cheapo Ebay bought wired camera and monitor that fastens over the existing rear view mirror and gives a much better 'view' than any standard rear view mirror would.

1313983858_bikerack.jpg.99112d3314ec87ed3dedee553e2e86a0.jpg

I see Mel B's rails are mounted at the lower position.

If full size bikes are carried in this position a lighting board is required because the vehicle lights are obstructed.

If the rails are reset to the upper position no lighting board is required but the rails are positioned almost as high as the top of the rear light clusters - which is quite high!

G

Keithl - 2014-02-20 6:06 PM

And I've read several reports of racks fitted to rear doors actually damaging the doors resulting in costly repairs.

As has been said above go for a decent quality tow bar mounted rack which can tilt or swing away to allow access to the rear doors without unloading.

Keith.

Here is a link to the thread I was referring to... Link.

IMO Don't do it!

Keith.

Keithl - 2014-02-21 8:32 AM

IMO Don't do it!

Keith.

Blimey..it made a mess of that door!...

Although it's hardly surprising really, as I doubt the van/door designers were envisaging folk clamping racks onto their edges and using them to suspend a load some 2-3ft out.... *-)

(..just imaging the jarring forces involved, as the vehicles bounces down the road, clouting pot holes etc)

I'd agree...spend the money on a tow bar and lighting board....that way it'll give you a myriad of(sturdy!) rack options(...even something self-fabricated ;-) )

Keithl - 2014-02-21 8:32 AM

Keithl - 2014-02-20 6:06 PM

Keith.

IMO Don't do it!

Keith.

As someone who experienced the above mentioned damage and contributed twice to that thread I would recommend that you do not fit a bike rack to the rear door.

We find that our folding bikes in bags meet our requirements and store easily in our Symbol both during travel and when on site. When on site, with the front pasenger seat turned round one bike in its bag fits in the footwell and the other fits on the driver's seat.

JudgeMental - 2014-02-20 6:46 PM

Don't do it! Fit a towbar rack or busbiker NL

Hear hear ! Wot he said. They aren't cheap, but they are good, and they can carry 80kg so 2 electric bikes are no problem.

I wouldn't want to hang anything like that off 1 door - hinges and panelling both at risk, plus weight is high up.

Gram - 2014-02-20 11:02 PM

If full size bikes are carried in this position a lighting board is required because the vehicle lights are obstructed.

If the rails are reset to the upper position no lighting board is required but the rails are positioned almost as high as the top of the rear light clusters - which is quite high!

G

We don't have a problem with full sized bikes obscuring lights as we have removable front wheels so can reduce the width of the bikes that way and by turning the handlebars 90 degrees the forks then fit nicely into the rails. The front wheels are then simply strapped to the bikes on the rack (they go between them), or are put inside. :-D

mike 202 - 2014-02-20 4:44 PM

Thanks Cuys/Gals

Mike

Hi Mike,

Many of us have downsized and most of us seem to adjust with the benefits balancing the negatives.

However a few that have gone below the 6.00 metre van have really struggled with the lack of space and some have reverted so please do be aware of the risks and unless you have very specific reasons or needs for going small why not consider not quite so small?

The Fiamma rack clamps onto the edge of the door so no drilling required but I have seen van doors quite distorted by the leverage caused by heavy bikes and rough roads although it can be hard to spot unless the rack is removed.

Access is another matter as we found the rack to be a pain in the rear doors - as was banging yer head on it when getting in and out so as we no longer ride bikes we took it off and at least our door was not damaged.

Personally I think it is a lash up and wouldn't buy one now that I know the shortcomings.

Mel B - 2014-02-21 6:27 PM

Gram - 2014-02-20 11:02 PM

G

We don't have a problem with full sized bikes obscuring lights as we have removable front wheels so can reduce the width of the bikes that way and by turning the handlebars 90 degrees the forks then fit nicely into the rails. The front wheels are then simply strapped to the bikes on the rack (they go between them), or are put inside. :-D

Thats what we do, but we chuck the wheels in the back. I am a bit concerned by the loads on the door, I keep meaning to look at attaching two extra stays to the top edge of door.

Gram - 2014-02-21 7:51 PM

Excellent idea to remove the front wheels, Mel B and Colin - I never thought of that.

G

But not if you have an A/S Symbol where inside space is at a premium and mucky bike wheels might present quite a challenge to store without damaging anything else?

Unless you can ride a unicycle?

Hi

We have the Fiat version and have the same rear door bike rack as Mel.

Works fine over last 20000 miles. It's a pain to open the rear door as it gets in the way but I don't do that very often so not an issue. It doesn't obstruct the lights as I keep the bikes to the centre plus they are mountain bikes so short for manoeuvrability.

The height is fine for lifting it on. I have no through vision regardless of bikes ( no rear view mirror fitted cos no rear vision) so that is not an issue.

I met one van owner who had his rack fitted at a higher level and the door had bent when he hit a speed bump at speed, I reckon because it was too high where the door weaker plus the torque would have been greater,

Like life everything is a compromise but the door rack works for us.

Peter

Tracker - 2014-02-21 8:12 PM

Gram - 2014-02-21 7:51 PM

Excellent idea to remove the front wheels, Mel B and Colin - I never thought of that.

G

But not if you have an A/S Symbol where inside space is at a premium and mucky bike wheels might present quite a challenge to store without damaging anything else?

Unless you can ride a unicycle?

I wouldn't dream of having mucky bike wheels - if I did I would strap them on the rack like Mel B does.

G

peterjl - 2014-02-21 8:56 PM

I met one van owner who had his rack fitted at a higher level and the door had bent when he hit a speed bump at speed, I reckon because it was too high where the door weaker plus the torque would have been greater,

I wonder, those that have had the door buckle, was the rack mounted high or low?

Firstly, be aware that downsizing from a Windsor to a Symbol is a big step. We were nearly convinced to change from an Inca, which is like a Windsor but about 18 inches shorter. But once we thought carefully, we soon realised there was not nearly enough storage for all our stuff. But that might just be us!

Specifically on bikes, we take bikes. I don't know what sort of cycling you do, but for us, we need panniers, tools, clothing, helmets. Again, think about where all that will live in the van.

Finally, the rack. Like others, I have heard about damage caused to doors, so why risk it? Plus, with a PVC, I would have thought one of the great benefits is being able to swing the back doors wide open. So I would definitely go for a towball mounted rack, we have one for our car that folds down even with the bikes attached so you could still use the doors. Or the busbiker suggested by Eddie (and which he must be getting commission on by now :D ).

And you would have the added benefit of being able to tow a trailer when you realise all your stuff doesn't fit inside the van. :-D

candapack - 2014-02-21 10:49 PM

Finally, the rack. Like others, I have heard about damage caused to doors, so why risk it? Plus, with a PVC, I would have thought one of the great benefits is being able to swing the back doors wide open. So I would definitely go for a towball mounted rack, we have one for our car that folds down even with the bikes attached so you could still use the doors. Or the busbiker suggested by Eddie (and which he must be getting commission on by now :D ).

And you would have the added benefit of being able to tow a trailer when you realise all your stuff doesn't fit inside the van. :-D

We do swing the back doors open, a lot! Having the bike rack on the door doesn't make any difference to this at all, you just have to remember to not clunk yourself as you open the door from the outside! *-)

I know the type of 'fold down' rack that you are talking about for use with a car but they are meant to be used with a tailgate that rises, this wouldn't work on a Fiat/Citroen/Peugeot PVC as the doors open sideways and the folded down rack is unlikely to be low enough for the doors to clear it. There's then the extra weight of a towbar in addition to the rack and bikes, so this needs to be considered too against payload/axle weight. The rack that Eddie has got is a different take and I can understand having it for putting heavier electric bikes on, but it seems very 'over engineered' for just putting standard bikes on, not to mention the cost.

As for not being able to fit stuff in a PVC, it obviously depends on what you get and what you want to take away with you, but we don't have a problem with ours and we take a LOT of stuff away with us, more than most, including: 2 inflatable canoes (not toy ones), 2 paddles, life jackets (for us and dogs), waterproof barrel and bag, large stirrup hand pump, clothing & 2 types of canoe shoes, self-inflating cushions (to keep our bums out of the inevitable bit of water that gets in!), 2 folding trolleys and straps, dog food, biscuits etc, this is all in addition to the normal stuff we take too ... and more besides! Plus we still have loads of room to spare! As soon as we spotted our current camper at a show we were very interested in it but didn't buy it there and then as it was the first times we'd seen that particular layout and we needed to satisfy ourselves that it would do what we wanted, then when we saw it a few months later again, we were able to confirm it was definitely going to work for us ... and it has.

Archived