Waste Tanks

Harcourt3

We have a Chausson Allegro. Our van has a waste tank centralized underneath with a 3-4 inch opening to discharge it. There is no pipe or tap. If we want to stay longer than a couple of days, this means we always have to drive to a drain area to empty the tank or crawl underneath with a washing up bowl. Is there a company that can adapt what we've got with a pipe and tap or replace with an appropriate one.

When our waste pipe accidently snapped off from the plastic fitting on the tank I managed to undo the fitting and replace with a 3/4 male iron to copper straight fitting, and to this added same size copper tube, and on the outside edge I added a lever arm stopcock, also I bought two adjustable ring bolts which were screwed to the underneath and clamped around the copper tube to make secure, total cost about £10 works a treat.

Mike has just reminded me I replace the outlet pipe on my Ultradrain (std on Hymer) with some flexible 40mm convoluted hose from the pond section of a garden centre. This mod was done as I kept damaging the original pipe when reversing the overhang over high kerbs.

I have a Chausson with dual [fore and aft] waste tanks and the blade mechanism you describe.

The previous owner has fitted a spigot on each tank, and then run pipes to just under the side skirt with a secondary ball valve.

Looks an easy enough mod, although personally I prefer the sluice effect [quick and no residue in the pipework] and never use the skirt valves.

I thought you were considering changing to a Bessacar recently - have you decided to stick with the Chausson?

We've just sold our Chausson Allegro 83(last Saturday) and although I did look at adapting the waste tank outlet, on ours it was just too low to the ground to do anything, that wasn't going to get wiped out the first time we pulled on a CL type pitch(...even as it was, it was lower than I would've liked).

The most I bothered to come up with was 1) To add a short length of flex-rubber hose(taken from the inside of a washing machine I was binning).This at least made it easier to line it up over the waste point.

and..

2)If "staying put", we just reduced the amount we poured down the plug 'ole! (...our washing up bowl always used to get emptied into a small bucket outside the van door(via sieve, so fluids got poured away,"bits" got tipped in the bin)....

..I did try a "cut-down-tuff-tub-on-a-stick" for a couple of outings..but, unsurprisingly, that didn't really catch on! (lol)

But I suppose if it is found to be a major issue, then carrying a waste hog may be the easiest answer..?

We have an Allegro 97 and recognise your problem. Solved it by fitting a 40mm plastic elbow to the spigot leaving the tank, then ran a pipe to the side skirt, finishing it off with another plastic elbow. To suspend the pipe we used the kind of hanger that gets used for suspended ceilings. No need for a tap on the end of it because the existing blade valve works well. All of the piping is B&Q stuff. The only potentially non-standard bit is the hanger. If you PM me I would be able to sort out the bits for you. It's easy to do yourself, although my plumber-son did it for me, so if you know any of them....

Can post photos if you are interested.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Waste tanks rally late reply. Delete

Hi Mike.I did reply to your original message but just found my reply in my outbox and realized it didn't go to you. Really sorry. We still have the problem with our waste so if you could send me details of how you solved the problem I would be really grateful. You could email me direct on grosvenor104@gmail.com

regards

Vic

Hi Mike

Thanks for your reply I would be very grateful if you would send me details of the way you solved this problem. I have being pulling my hair out for ages trying to find a solution to the problem. If you want to reply direct my email is grosvenor104@gmail.com

regards

Vic

Archived